WNBA Draft Today

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I've actually been impressed with the quality of play in the WNBA when watching in recent years. It's much better than when the league first started since the depth of the talent pool is now much greater.

I still don't watch unless a team has an ISU player on the roster. Nothing personal against the WNBA -- I never watch the NBA either. But there's a huge difference between a sport/league "sucking" and getting low ratings.

And for the record, curling is awesome.

Last edited:

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
I don't watch the WNBA at all (I've always been busy either working and/or playing/coaching baseball), but I was glad to see both Kach and Bolte get drafted. I don't think I could get into a WNBA game simply because I'm not familiar with hardly any of the players. But I do get VERY into college women's basketball, at least when Iowa or ISU is playing (or when I've got a bet placed on UCONN/Stanford/etc.). It's not even close to as bad as many make it out to be.
I hadnt heard Kachine A. had been drafted. Not an Iowa fan here at all, but she is deserving, and I am glad... Wish her well as well...

And yes, mred is right.. curling rocks!! (poor pun intended)

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Agree with this and your previous post. I only dislike the WNBA because for the most part they discarded most of the cyclones that were drafted and the ones that did make a roster hardly played.

The WNBA is basically a flawed business model. They don't understand their target. The only profitable club is the Storm because owners have a clear idea how to market their franchises by getting the players involved in their marketing so much. Doesn't hurt that they have superstars in their team.

Minnesota make a huge mistake by letting Whalen get away from the draft. There were no "connections" with the local fans. Imagine if the Lynx sign Megan Taylor or any other former Cyclones, probably there would be more Cyclone fans coming to the Lynx games.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There were no "connections" with the local fans. Imagine if the Lynx sign Megan Taylor or any other former Cyclones, probably there would be more Cyclone fans coming to the Lynx games.

Just look at the Barnstormers for reference. Their top two offensive guys are Brad Banks (Iowa) and Todd Blythe (Iowa State). They also have Brent Curvey (Iowa State), Pete Traynor (Iowa), Rodney Filer (Iowa), Charles Johnson (UNI), Maurice Harris (Iowa Central) and Jesse Schmidt (Buena Vista).

That's a TON of "local" guys. Brings out the people who were fans of those guys in college, or of the teams they played for.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Just look at the Barnstormers for reference. Their top two offensive guys are Brad Banks (Iowa) and Todd Blythe (Iowa State). They also have Brent Curvey (Iowa State), Pete Traynor (Iowa), Rodney Filer (Iowa), Charles Johnson (UNI), Maurice Harris (Iowa Central) and Jesse Schmidt (Buena Vista).

That's a TON of "local" guys. Brings out the people who were fans of those guys in college, or of the teams they played for.

I assume they are doing well or at least OK financially ? I don't live in DSM area so I don't know how well they are doing financially but at least there must be a lot of people enjoy watching these guys. I know I'd love to watch them play.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I assume they are doing well or at least OK financially ? I don't live in DSM area so I don't know how well they are doing financially but at least there must be a lot of people enjoy watching these guys. I know I'd love to watch them play.

3rd in attendance (out of 18), at 10,552. Behind Orlando (been in the league since 1991) and Pittsburgh (new team in 2011).

However, they've only had one home game so far. It helps that there are no higher-level pro teams in DSM. And since they play in the spring/summer, they're only competing against the I-Cubs.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
First and foremost, congrats to Kelsey! It's a great honor and opportunity that most people never get the chance to see. She's worked really hard and, as she said herself, putting in the time makes a difference -- good things happen.

Now, on poking fun at the WNBA. I only watch three pro sports -- soccer, tennis, and bowling, and I often don't even sit down to watch those unless I have the time, I turn on the TV, and it happens to be on. The only thing I probably plan my schedule around and really try to catch is pro soccer games. I don't pay attention to the NFL, MLB, WNBA, NBA, or NHL. Yes, I might catch a game every once in awhile, but I'm definitely not a fan. In the last year I've watched half of an NFL game, 1 MLB game in person (none on TV or listened on the radio for that matter), 0 NBA games, 0 WNBA games, and 0 NHL games.

I'm not a big pro sports fan for the most part. I would prefer high school or college any day. I think part of that is that Iowa's only pro sport is women's football. It's hard to follow something closely, even with the Internet, when it isn't near you. For example, I'm a big Seattle Sounders MLS fan. I get to see them play on TV probably three times a year if I'm lucky. Otherwise, I have to follow on Twitter or somewhere on the Internet. If I wasn't truly dedicated to the team/sport, I wouldn't put forth all the time to follow them.

There were very similar reactions from people, and probably even moreso, when it was time for the World Cup last summer. I quit coming to this website for several months because of the nonstop bantering about how awful soccer is, how people thought no one was watching the World Cup, and the only comment most people could make was about the vuvuzelas. People are entitled to their opinions and the ability to share them. I'm all for that, but you don't have to attack a sport, or in this case a league.

Those that don't appreciate the WNBA, or the World Cup, feel free to state your opinion and move on. Don't stick around and try to convince the people that appreciate the athletes, the leagues, the teams, the sport, etc. that it's awful that they support it. People know that the WNBA isn't one of the most successful sports -- all you need to see that is ESPN or pick up a newspaper. They get that it isn't the most popular and probably never will be. They're fine with and accept that.

As I started off in the beginning, I don't follow most pro sports, but I also don't go out and tell people reasons why they shouldn't watch it or care about it themselves. If someone asks why I don't follow or pay attention, I let them know. If not, I move on and keep my comments to myself. I guess I'm just different than a lot of people, and I have to remember that this is a messageboard. Unfortunately, this is what most messageboards have come to.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclone13

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron