Womens Basketball: Looking Forward

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
What can we expect from the future? We lose Bolte, a player who will be greatly missed next year, and we have a bunch of returning players who are not physical and struggle offensively against the top team in the Big 12. How is our recruiting class looking for next year?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Four recruits:

Nikki Moody, a 5'9" combo guard who can shoot and drive. Hoopgurlz #100.

Hoopgurlz eval:
Nichole Moody 2011 Women's Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN
Skilled and athletic point guard who may well not get the respect she should. She has the ability to play at speed but still handles the ball and make good decisions. The range is there on the jumper and she's not hesitant to take it into traffic. An aggressive on ball defender, she stays a little too tight on the weak side making her rotation to help a little longer than it needs to be at times.
---
She's a smooth and athletic point guard who attacks both in the halfcourt and on the break. Individually she can create off the dribble and finishes well in the paint or on the pull up. There's a quick release on her shot that does have a somewhat two-handed "volleyball set" look to it. Aggressive at both ends, she gets in a stance defensively and does a good job of anticipating off the ball.

Fallon Ellis, a 5'11" wing. She's a pretty good shooter, but I don't know a lot about her game.

Brynn Williamson a 6'0" wing. Some other people on this board have seen her play and can probably speak to her abilities.

Kileah Mays, a 6'2" post. High upside, but raw.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I chose to put my comments here rather on the overused game day thread. The story of the Marist game, in my view, is a mirror of the problems we suffered with all year long. Three stats pinpoint that problem, which can be summed up as ballhandling.
These stats tell much of the story:
TO Asst. Steals
Marist 7 21 8
ISU 17 12 3
Until we remedy these problems, we are going to continue to lose games we should win. I hasten to add that these problems are NOT restricted to the backcourt folks.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Sounds like Moody could at least be in the rotation from the start. BF has said that Brynn could be too. She has the length and probably the best opportunity to replace Bolte at the 3. I have seen her play, and she is not Bolte, though. Not even the freshman Bolte. Some have said Hallie could play the three, but after seeing he mismatched with guards defensively today, I don't know if I'd do it unless we are in a zone. That might be a spot worth looking for a late JC signee.

It will be interesting to see who takes over leadership next season as there will still be just two seniors, both JC tranfers. That recruiting class from '08 got transferitis, as not one of them are left (Rockall, Arlen, Williams, and Yackley). I could see Mansfield embracing it, but otherwise, it will fall to the '09 recruiting class that will be juniors. Hopefully, the number of transfers out will be limited so we can build a little depth.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I chose to put my comments here rather on the overused game day thread. The story of the Marist game, in my view, is a mirror of the problems we suffered with all year long. Three stats pinpoint that problem, which can be summed up as ballhandling.
TO Asst. Steals
Marist 7 21 8
ISU 17 12 3
Until we remedy these problems, we are going to continue to lose games we should win. I hasten to add that these problems are NOT restricted to the backcourt folks.

But that's also a function of the defense that we choose to play. We don't press, we don't ball-hawk, we don't go for steals. We stay back and pack it in.
Marist was described by BF as "very efficient." That's because they were in a comfort zone against us, with almost no ball pressure coming up the court.
I doubt Marist will have just 7 TO's against the full-court pressure of Duke...

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
But that's also a function of the defense that we choose to play. We don't press, we don't ball-hawk, we don't go for steals. We stay back and pack it in.
Marist was described by BF as "very efficient." That's because they were in a comfort zone against us, with almost no ball pressure coming up the court.

Marist is #1 in the nation in fewest turnovers per game. ISU is #333 (dead last) in steals per game. Our defensive strategy works fine when a team lacks perimeter shooting, but Marist obviously wasn't that team. The same defensive strategy worked great the past two seasons because Stuckey and Lacey were both excellent perimeter defenders, but this team struggles to cover a team with as many options as Marist. We don't have the perimeter defensive talent we used to (not that we've ever had a whole lot) and that was as big an issue this season as any other shortcoming.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009

Don't forget that Marist led the nation in fewest TO's per game.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Looks to me like we lack quickness on defense, especially guarding the three and drives to the basket. On offense we need ladies who can score with the ball. We are set with our bigs but notihing to go with them. Looks like maybe Bill has some coming in. He'll figure something out..............I hope!

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Losing Bolte might be a blessing in disguise. Everybody was allowed to be tentative when shooting on the outside because we relied on Kelsey to make the vast majority of those shots. This might push us to a more balanced approach, which would be harder to defend, especially if our inside offense continues to improve as it has.

Reactions: simville02

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
What can we expect from the future? We lose Bolte, a player who will be greatly missed next year, and we have a bunch of returning players who are not physical and struggle offensively against the top team in the Big 12. How is our recruiting class looking for next year?

We have four players coming in. One is a project at best. From what I've been able to figure out we, at best, can expect (or hope) 1 or 2 of them to contribute. Should upgrade the athleticism of the team quite a bit, but scoring will still be a major concern.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
TO Asst. Steals
Marist 7 21 8
ISU 17 12 3

WOW... that's VERY telling. I can't believe we didn't lose by 20 after seeing those stats.

It sure says a lot about our ballhandling and passing skills though. Ouch.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I imagine someone will step up, but right now I just don't see the obvious leader on this team for next year. It seems like in the past, when the leaders graduated, it was pretty clear who would be the leader the next year. Right now, the only real possibility I see is Pop, and quite frankly, that is not very encouraging.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
We have four players coming in. One is a project at best. From what I've been able to figure out we, at best, can expect (or hope) 1 or 2 of them to contribute. Should upgrade the athleticism of the team quite a bit, but scoring will still be a major concern.

I like the anecdote that Pop called the "project" physical. If Pop thinks she's physical, then she must be really physical.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Next year's team will a very experienced, balanced team.

We could start 2 seniors in the backcourt (Cole and Mansfield) and 3 juniors in the frontcourt (Schroll, Pop and Prins). With the 2 sophmores (Harris and Hallie) coming off the bench.

The problem is that there is not a go-to scorer in that bunch, unless Anna consistently plays like she did tonight.

I think next year's team will be Mansfield's team, she'll be the senior PG and leader, but I also think Hallie may take a huge leap and become the go-to scorer.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
If Cole becomes a starter, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lauren move to the 2 spot, and Cole play PG. I also wouldn't be shocked if Moody doesn't play the point, BF tends to like his PG's to be taller, and she would fit that mold.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Next year's team will a very experienced, balanced team.

We could start 2 seniors in the backcourt (Cole and Mansfield) and 3 juniors in the frontcourt (Schroll, Pop and Prins). With the 2 sophmores (Harris and Hallie) coming off the bench.

The problem is that there is not a go-to scorer in that bunch, unless Anna consistently plays like she did tonight.

I think next year's team will be Mansfield's team, she'll be the senior PG and leader, but I also think Hallie may take a huge leap and become the go-to scorer.
Sounds like we better get better defensively then.

Last edited: