Womens Basketball: Looking Forward

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Moody for sure, but I question whether Williamson and Ellis are skilled at dribble penetration. It would help immensely if Vanloo decides on ISU, then you have a guard trio of Vanloo, Moody, and Mansfield which would be a clear upgrade over this past season's backcourt rotation (which was hurt badly by the Rockall, Williams, and Yackley busts).

I can see Hallie C playing more 3 than 4 next season but BF will need to play mostly zone with her at the 3. She will have to play the 3 if Williamson or Ellis aren't ready to go as FR and if Schroll still can't shoot.

I don't hold out for much more success for next year over this season -- increased strengths in proven foward/center play with new questions: no scoring assurance or clear cut leader -- unless we do secure Vanloo along with the other recruits coming.

It's concievable that 2012-'13 would be a breakout year with (or even without) Vanloo.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
First, have you seen this "project" play?

project....people said Pop was a project too and a recruiting miss by BF. project? you mean someone who backed out of an offer from another top 25 team?

Project as in - doesn't have a lot of basketball experience. A late starter who has all of the physical attributes to play but needs (much like Pop) to be refined to be a contributor. Anyone who says Pop hasn't been a project hasn't watched her play. She hustles and can rebound, but every other aspect of her game has been massively worked on since she arrived. She couldn't make a free throw if you gave her a step ladder that allowed her to climb up to the basket (note sarcasm here). She has evolved through two iterations of free throw style so that she is an "ok" free throw shooter now. Still can't shoot away from the basket and still can't make layups consistently. She is being molded and plays within her limitations. The refinement continues.

Even mred describes Mays in these terms. See the second post of this thread.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Project as in - doesn't have a lot of basketball experience. A late starter who has all of the physical attributes to play but needs (much like Pop) to be refined to be a contributor. Anyone who says Pop hasn't been a project hasn't watched her play. She hustles and can rebound, but every other aspect of her game has been massively worked on since she arrived. She couldn't make a free throw if you gave her a step ladder that allowed her to climb up to the basket (note sarcasm here). She has evolved through two iterations of free throw style so that she is an "ok" free throw shooter now. Still can't shoot away from the basket and still can't make layups consistently. She is being molded and plays within her limitations. The refinement continues.

Even mred describes Mays in these terms. See the second post of this thread.

Here is what Coach had to say about Mays:
Fennelly on Kileah Mays - Cyclones.com

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
she threw the shot put 43 ft as a junior last year.....that is a strong girl

I like it. Strength and length. BTW Z looks very tall in the photo.

That's what I was going to post to Cykadelic2, Hallie's sister is a thrower on the track team. I could see Hallie going more toward a 4 that can stretch a defense because she can shoot outside. I think Hallie is going to do well in the weight room. Might be hopeful optimism.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Kileah was in NC for the cyclones game according to a tweet from Coach Steyer. Here is a pic she posted of Kileah with the ISU team. Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

Thanks for the image. It finally sunk in that ONLY one of those ladies will not be here next year.

Kileah has minimal pressure on her coming in and given time she could blossom if indeed her talents have yet to be tapped. She's intriguing and it'll be fun watch her develop.

Polarbears

Apr 10, 2009
I found it hopeful that Z got several prominent mentions in the Register article today. If she can learn to be "Senior night Z" on a more consistent basis, she could really be a spark off the bench. We have to hope all the freshmen perimeter players are ready to shoot the 3, because it was killing us having to play 2 guards at once who didn't have confidence in their outside shot. If they can gain that confidence, if Hallie gets more time at the 3, and if Anna reacts more and thinks less in the post, we could be a memorable team next year.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Nice to get the Z mention. I also noticed this comment, "Iowa State has four recruits coming in and Fennelly said the Cyclones could add another guard during the April recruiting period." Is that other guard someone we know about?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Nice to get the Z mention. I also noticed this comment, "Iowa State has four recruits coming in and Fennelly said the Cyclones could add another guard during the April recruiting period." Is that other guard someone we know about?

I'm guessing he's talking about Vanloo. I don't know if there's anyone else (hs or juco) we might be looking at if she turns us down.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks for the image. It finally sunk in that ONLY one of those ladies will not be here next year.

Kileah has minimal pressure on her coming in and given time she could blossom if indeed her talents have yet to be tapped. She's intriguing and it'll be fun watch her develop.

Mays was listed on one Top 100 list (94th) and at 6'1" too: Class of 2011 National Top 100 Prospects

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I have hopes she will turn into another Katie Robinette. We really haven't had a banger like Katie since she left, Pop is close, but Katie was more efficient on offense. It sounds like Mays doesn't have skill set that Katie had coming out of high school, but with time, I can only hope.

Help Support Us

Become a patron