Women's March Madness thread

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I figured a separate thread to include general discussion about the women's tournament might be a good thing.

From today's games it is apparent that the women's game has gained a lot of parity in the past few seasons (outside of the beasts at the top). I remember 5-10 years ago when you wouldn't even need to pay attention to the tourney until the Sweet 16 because it was almost a given the top four seeds from each region would advance.

Looking at games today there are already a few upsets looming:

(12) Wisconsin Green Bay is leading (5) Virginia 34-27 going into the second half in the undercard fight to the Iowa State game. Virginia (and particularly their star player) scare me a bit with Aus recovering, so an upset could be a big blessing for Iowa State.

(11) San Diego State has a strong 44-30 lead over (6) Texas at the half. I expected a bit of a run from Texas in the tournament, but they are getting pretty soundly rolled.

Also, (11) Arkansas Little Rock is up against (6) Georgia Tech 38-28 early in the second half.

It's shaping up to be a more interesting tournament this year. Let's hope someone can step up to challenge UCONN!

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
UCONN won their first game by 56 points. I know they were playing a 16 seed and always win by a lot.... but holy crap.

They are absolutely on another level. For anyone that doesn't follow women's basketball, take a look at their season results.

Some highlights for you:

105-35 vs. Northeastern
83-58 at #10 Texas
88-47 vs. #7 North Carolina
70-46 vs. #3 Notre Dame (that's one of three victories against the Irish on the season)
81-48 at #7 Duke
80-47 vs. #11 West Virginia (also crushed them 60-32 in the conference championship)​

Absolutely destruction. They've only really been challenged once or twice this year, and they've still won those matches by double-digits.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
There has been a 16 seed in womns history beat a 1 seed thee has never been a 2 or 3 seed lose thou I believe

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
San Diego State completes the upset over 6th-seeded Texas on the Longhorns' home court.

Arkansas Little Rock upsets 6th-seeded Georgia Tech.

Wisconsin-Green Bay finishes an ugly, ugly win over 5th-seeded Virginia in Ames. (The winner of Lehigh and) Iowa State will play the Phoenix.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
A few more potential upsets tonight in the second round. (7) LSU and (2) Duke are going back and forth at Cameron Indoor, currently tied with under five remaining. (6) St. John's is also tied with (3) Florida State.