MLB: Wood is the Cubs' Closer

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
Please, sir, let's not be reasonable here. This kind of action will not be tolerated in the future:no::smile::no:

Welcome to being a Cubs fan. We don't base our love/hate of players on overall performance-duh:confused:

I will say that I am the most optimistic of our rotation than I have for a few years. Could be because we finally shipped the oft-injured, oft-whiny Prior off.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
They just lost Capuano to Tommy John surgery. That's a tough blow to their staff.

Depends on which Chris Capuano you're talking about. The one who has lost 12 straight decisions while watching his ERA go up over 2 runs? Blessing in disguise.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I guess I forgot that the Cubs are the only team in baseball to have questionable 4th and 5th statrters.

FWIW, I believe Dempster has pitched pretty well this spring. He's a good contact type pitcher. He'll give up some runs but he'll keep you in the ballgame and give you a good 6 innings. That's why he sucked at closing.

I will stress Sample Size for this one. Only having a few innings in the spring, a lot of pitchers can look good. Example from my favorite team: last spring Ramon Ortiz had a fantastic spring; end result, he sucked and the Twins somehow managed to fleece Colorado of a live body to get him(Matt Macri, from Des Moines and I got his autograph in spring training)

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I was really hoping the Marmol would get the closer job. He may have some growing pains early in his closer career, but he is the man for the job.

Not this year at least. We just got back from a few spring training games including one in which the bully walked in two runs, one of which was because Marmol couldn't find the plate. Wood hasn't walked anybody this spring, is throwing mid/upper 90s and was averaging around a K/inning. It was no contest. Hopefully Marmol can learn a little bit from Wood and more comfortably slide into the closer spot.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Ouch... I hadn't heard that yet... That sucks for the Brew crew. The Cubs are setup to easily win the NL Central. Anything less would be very disappointing.

Ill ptich for the Brewers, Lets see someone hit my 45MPH fastball, and I will only ask for 1/2 of the minimum salary

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
As a Cards fan who dealt with Marquis' boneheadedness for 3 years, I agree. Expect him to give up a lot of runs.
Hey at least he can hit. I told myself that for three years, but you won't believe how happy I was when the cards traded him.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
dempster was as solid starter until he had tommy john surgery... he will be fine... big Z, lilly, hill will be monsters, and we have leiber to take over for marquis after he goes about 9-2 with a 2.50 ERA before the allstar break, then implodes after the break going like 3-7 with 5.50 ERA...

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Hey at least he can hit. I told myself that for three years, but you won't believe how happy I was when the cards traded him.
btw.. cards didnt trade him, cubs picked up in free agency for a deal like 4 yrs $40 mill or something like that

you wish you still had him...
demster and marquis are better than kyle loshe, braden looper, todd wellemeyer, joel pinero, matt clement, and brad thompson combined, and those are the guys trying to get the 3-5 spots in the cards rotation

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The more I think about this move, the more I like it. It makes sense to me.

Wood and Marmol both have great stuff, and can be good closers. This could be like the Yankees when John Wetteland was their dominant closer, until Rivera was ready for the role. Now, you can shut down the 8th and 9th innings. As Kerry grows older, maybe he moves to middle relief or out, and a more mature Marmol moves right in to shut teams down.

Yes, I just compared the Cubs' situation to the old Yankees situation! :yes: