Would this win in a battle against Dept. of Residence?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
My room is TINY :mad:, my friends and I have talked, joked, laughed, and cried about how small it seems. Well I decided to finally get some evidence behind it, to see if it really was that small or not.

Turns out, it really is that freaking small. I have the smallest Double Room on my floor, and probably in all of the building too. (If I'm bored over break I'll find out). There is even a storage closet that is bigger than my room. Topping it all off, I'm on the top floor so the ceiling is severely slanted, making it that much more difficult to rearrange. I was also told by someone that lived on this floor last year that my room was a single last year.

Since my roommate is planning on moving out next semester, what are the chances of me fighting to make it a single room?

Here is a bar graph of the area of all the rooms on my floor in relation to one another. (Adding in the storage closet for dramatic effect).

areablackedout.png

Reactions: Goothrey

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My room is TINY :mad:, my friends and I have talked, joked, laughed, and cried about how small it seems. Well I decided to finally get some evidence behind it, to see if it really was that small or not.

Turns out, it really is that freaking small. I have the smallest Double Room on my floor, and probably in all of the building too. (If I'm bored over break I'll find out). There is even a storage closet that is bigger than my room. Topping it all off, I'm on the top floor so the ceiling is severely slanted, making it that much more difficult to rearrange. I was also told by someone that lived on this floor last year that my room was a single last year.

Since my roommate is planning on moving out next semester, what are the chances of me fighting to make it a single room?

Here is a bar graph of the area of all the rooms on my floor in relation to one another. (Adding in the storage closet for dramatic effect).

areablackedout.png

That just means someone paid more to have it for themselves.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
You're in one of the 5th floors of Friley, aren't you? I had a small double the first year. Basically, you need to put on your big-boy pants and deal with it.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Are you on 4th floor BWR? I had the exact same issue. Had to put the TV in the closet cause there was no where else to put it. People walking by were always wondering why we were staring into the closet all the time.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Are you on 4th floor BWR? I had the exact same issue. Had to put the TV in the closet cause there was no where else to put it. People walking by were always wondering why we were staring into the closet all the time.

I had a friend whose freshman roommate actually did stare into the closet all the time. Of course he was also high most of the time and dropped out after first semester. He also attempted to remove the lights from the digital display on their microwave with his keys because he thought it was trying to possess him.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Feel free to ask, but be prepared to be told "NO". At least you too can move into a bigger room at the end of the semester if you hate your room that much.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Be prepared to pay more for a double as a single. Sometimes you just luck out that if your roommate moves out they don't bring anyone in. Then you don't get charged extra. But if you request it then your going to get charged.

And by the way, if you take on a university department you will lose. They may give you the single, but somehow you will lose. Keep your head down and hope they don't notice is always the best policy.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
If you're a freshman, embrace it and make memories.

If not, move the hell out. There's a great big world of apartments out there for those who are man enough to cook their own food and clean their own toilet. Living in the dorms is basically replacing your mom with anonymous cooks and janitors. At some point you have to become a self-sufficient human. The sooner the better.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If my memory is right, which it probably isn't, I thought that Knapp rooms were like 11x11. Mine was a corner and I thought that made it a foot less wide making it 10x11. Now that was small.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
If you're a freshman, embrace it and make memories.

If not, move the hell out. There's a great big world of apartments out there for those who are man enough to cook their own food and clean their own toilet. Living in the dorms is basically replacing your mom with anonymous cooks and janitors. At some point you have to become a self-sufficient human. The sooner the better.

+1

It's something you will look back on in 10 years and laugh about. Just enjoy the best time of your life without adding additional stress to the situation. Everyone's dorms suck, it's the circle of life or something like that.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I had a friend whose freshman roommate actually did stare into the closet all the time. Of course he was also high most of the time and dropped out after first semester. He also attempted to remove the lights from the digital display on their microwave with his keys because he thought it was trying to possess him.

he was doing more than smoking bud

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Yea, you can pretty easily switch rooms if you want. Otherwise, I think they may be impressed you did the research and made that chart. It's worth a shot for sure.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Be prepared to pay more for a double as a single. Sometimes you just luck out that if your roommate moves out they don't bring anyone in. Then you don't get charged extra. But if you request it then your going to get charged.

And by the way, if you take on a university department you will lose. They may give you the single, but somehow you will lose. Keep your head down and hope they don't notice is always the best policy.

This is correct right here if you go and request it as a single you will get charged for it. If they put no one there then it is a free upgrade. I had a ****** bag for a roommate my freshman year. And there is really nothing they will do about it. He used to dress up in 3 or 4 layers for bed in the middle of winter then open up the window and turn the fan on high.
He moved out second semester and I had the room to myself so all was good.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
You won't get anywhere with that argument. Kudos on the pretty chart, though.

I lived in the smallest room in the entire ISU res hall system (5627 Friley), and I stayed there for 4 years. Yes, it restricted the number of ways I arranged the room, but I found one way that worked great. I stayed there for so long because I loved living there. If you're really so unconnected with your house and hall, then move out to an apartment, or move to a larger res hall room. It's that simple. The DoR has no obligation or interest in comping you free rent, especially when demand for space in the system is so high (ie. More students want to live on-campus than there is room for).

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
You're on Niles, aren't you?

If so, I think I know what room you're talking about. I lived on that floor two years ago, and there were two people in it then. One of them told me the next year he found out it was a single, and was pretty upset. There really wasn't that much space at all; being right by the stairwell took some area away I think

You might just have to suck it up; unless you don't want to live with your roommate anymore it'll be extremely difficult to get a new room. Just tough it out and find a spacious apartment next year

Edit: I just reread your post and saw your roommate is moving out. You might be able to get away with not having anyone else try to move in with you, especially if they see how tiny it is. If someone really wants to move in with you just tell them you're gay or something:jimlad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron