Would this win in a battle against Dept. of Residence?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
You're on Niles, aren't you?

If so, I think I know what room you're talking about. I lived on that floor two years ago, and there were two people in it then. One of them told me the next year he found out it was a single, and was pretty upset. There really wasn't that much space at all; being right by the stairwell took some area away I think

You might just have to suck it up; unless you don't want to live with your roommate anymore it'll be extremely difficult to get a new room. Just tough it out and find a spacious apartment next year

Edit: I just reread your post and saw your roommate is moving out. You might be able to get away with not having anyone else try to move in with you, especially if they see how tiny it is. If someone really wants to move in with you just tell them you're gay or something:jimlad:

One of the rooms on Niles had part of an elevator shaft running through it, which made it small as ****. We made fun of that guy.

The stairwell room...isn't that the one where the guy died? I can't remember exactly which room he was in...

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
well if you would understand simple economics the dorms are ripping you off. I still boggles my mind that students continue to live on campus. you can live out in west ames for 250 dollars a month you get free cable, your own bedroom, bathroom and three times more living space.

the really only positives are to living in a dorm is you meet a lot more people. and you are right on campus.

it is cheaper to live off campus.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
well if you would understand simple economics the dorms are ripping you off. I still boggles my mind that students continue to live on campus. you can live out in west ames for 250 dollars a month you get free cable, your own bedroom, bathroom and three times more living space.

the really only positives are to living in a dorm is you meet a lot more people. and you are right on campus.

it is cheaper to live off campus.
Most students coming into Ames are on their first adventure away from home and don't know anything about the area. Freshman year gives them time to acclimate and figure out where things are at.

And I will gladly keep getting ripped off on my rent to not live in West Ames. Convenience has a price. No matter where you live, someone is ripping you off because they have to make money.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Most students coming into Ames are on their first adventure away from home and don't know anything about the area. Freshman year gives them time to acclimate and figure out where things are at.

And I will gladly keep getting ripped off on my rent to not live in West Ames. Convenience has a price. No matter where you live, someone is ripping you off because they have to make money.

As someone who now lives in the real world...

The dorms were a blast. Yeah, the rooms were small, you had to share a room, no private bathroom, etc. But there was always somebody around to play video games, drink beer, adn generally have fun.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
You're in one of the 5th floors of Friley, aren't you? I had a small double the first year. Basically, you need to put on your big-boy pants and deal with it.

Hahaha yes! I lived there too! Niles-Foster rooms were god awful. My friend lived two doors down from me and had a roommate in what was supposed to be a single.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina

The dorms were a blast. Yeah, the rooms were small, you had to share a room, no private bathroom, etc. But there was always somebody around to play video games, drink beer, adn generally have fun.

Agreed. Lived in Linden my first year and that was probably my favorite year to date. Met a lot of cool people and like you said, there was always at least 2-3 people that would hang or help you study. While the dorms weren't the nicest it's a great memory.

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
Agreed. Lived in Linden my first year and that was probably my favorite year to date. Met a lot of cool people and like you said, there was always at least 2-3 people that would hang or help you study. While the dorms weren't the nicest it's a great memory.

ya your right. lots of great people and if you dont know anyone living in a dorm is a good way. i guess we all have differences. I couldnt share a room with anyone just cuz i have space issues. I ike things clean and new. Im not a big fan of people watching every move I make, If i wanted to be watched I would have stayed at home and went to college. just a difference of opinions.

Last edited:

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
ya your right. lots of great people and if you dont know anyone living in a dorm is a good way. i guess we all have differences. I couldnt share a room with anyone just cuz i have space issues. I also like things clean and new just a difference of opinions

I'm not disagreeing with you. I do think the university rips you on meal plans, but that's college. With that being said, the kid doesn't have a chance in hell by asking them for anything.

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
I'm not disagreeing with you. I do think the university rips you on meal plans, but that's college. With that being said, the kid doesn't have a chance in hell by asking them for anything.

Oh ya he is screwed. everybody gets ripped off, thats the point of anykind of thing that has a cost, why would they provide it if they cant make money?? why cant everything be free?

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines

Too true man....had some great times in the dorms!

mbbone

Jan 4, 2010
I say go for it. Show them that graph and ask why it's a double. The worst that can happen is they say no.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You're in one of the 5th floors of Friley, aren't you? I had a small double the first year. Basically, you need to put on your big-boy pants and deal with it.

I forgot which floor but there is a room up there with the elevator shaft actually in the room making a little U out of it.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
One of the rooms on Niles had part of an elevator shaft running through it, which made it small as ****. We made fun of that guy.

The stairwell room...isn't that the one where the guy died? I can't remember exactly which room he was in...

LOL, that's the one. Sorry I hadn't read on yet.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
honestly, nothing you'd say would win against the department of residence strictly because they are gonna do what they want to do knowing that students will probably just deal with it. the only way that they will lose is if you file an official complaint and it's absolutely clear that they are in the wrong

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
The only way you win is if you find the room living quarters are against code, seeing how it was built a long time ago, the codes can be different than the ones today, but still have to comply w/ being "up-to-date". I think you're best shot is to keep your mouth shut and hope you don't get a room mate. or take your chart to someone you've made a positive impression on that can dictate what happens and ask them to only give you a room mate if there is absolutely no other options in your building. Might get lucky this sem, but nxt Fall, if you're there, plan on a roomy

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
Or they might look at your graph and decide to convert the other singles to doubles since you're surviving in what you have now

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Lived in Helser for three years, room was small with no AC. I don't know how I survived there for three years, but I would do it all over again if I could. Res Hall living was just awesome. I lived with HS friend that always thought my major was a joke and computer engineering (his major) will rule the world, except he dropped out from computer engineering because of grades. After semester of him biXXXing about my major, I moved down the hall with my best friend down the hall.

With that said, embrace your time in wherever you are. It's only temporary, so enjoy it!

I wanted single room in Helser but @cyznutz took the room I wanted. You jerk!