Would TJ + Fran be incredible?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Fran isn’t good at any phase of coaching
Do you watch Iowa games? Fran does run a great offensive system. There is great ball movement and his system is balanced between paint scoring and jump shooting. His teams get to the free throw line A LOT!! IMO that is an indicator his system stresses an opposing defense.

That said, I feel the longer TJ is at ISU the better his HS recruiting classes will be and the better offensive talent we will see in Ames. I like the offensive basketball skills and athleticism of Lipsey, Watson, King, Biliew, Momcilovic, Hamilton, Fish, Rock, Pierce and Indrusaitis.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Nah. Their styles aren't complimentary. Likely wouldn't work.

Nothing is complimentary. Their personalities, styles, recruiting, nothing. It'd be a disaster.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
On paper - combining a coach who excels on offense with a coach who excels on defense would be great. In reality there is 0 chance TJ could coexist with FranCon, those are two completely different coaching styles.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Can’t you just see Allison and Marge hanging at the games? Not sure Allison could hold her back.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
For a not trolling answer, no. You cant play both offense and defense at the same time like that without gassing everyone really quick. In theory its awesome but both styles are pretty intense

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Saw this thread when it first popped up yesterday. Going about as I thought it would when I read the OP, laughed and went on with my day.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Agree with others.

If TJs team scored 80-90+ points per game, they wouldn't be holding opponents to 60-70.

If Fran's team is holding teams to 60-70 PPG then they wouldn't score 80-90.

Picture the difference after a defensive rebound. Fran (usually) tells his team to push and take the first available good shot. TJ (usually) tells his team to pull up and make the other team work on defense for 20 or more seconds.

Would not blend well.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I don't want a POS coach who behaves like a pent up teenager and teaches the players to start a bunch of **** representing the team I cheer for.
This is why he is the perfect coach for Iowa and their fanbase. I hope Fran continues to coach at Iowa for many years to come.

Reactions: NWICY

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Fran anywhere near Hilton or any Cardinal/Gold clothing as an employee of ISU?!?

NO…absolutely just NO!

• Agree
Reactions: Winchester

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Unhawk.....NO. franny is no coach I'd ever want anywhere close to my program. He doesn't develop players. Period.

Reactions: Winchester

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Obviously just a hypothetical but:

- TJ head coach (defense oriented)
- Fran asst coach (offense oriented)

Fran can coach offense like a sonofabitch. TJ can coach defense like a sonofabitch. Fran can yell at the refs to keep them honest. TJ can recruit athletes beyond Fran’s wildest dreams.

Would it work?
Other similar pairings could be:

Hitler and Gandhi
Saban and Walden
Scotch Buy and Lefthand Milk Stout
New Jersey and Colorado
Steve Jobs and Bill Gates
Ebony and Ivory

But seriously folks, what a pathetic attempt at trying to make Fran a coach anyone would want in their program.

Frankly, Fran is a good X/Os coach anyway you look at it. The reason he can't have more success is because he is a terrible culture coach. TJ has lapped him already and will continue to do so as long as they are both coaching. A team coached by Otz would not be any better with Fran helping.

And I'll go out farther on the limb - what TJ has done offensively with this years team is better than what Fran does - Fran's teams put up big numbers because they don't waste time or energy defending and they are fine with as many as possessions as possible. What TJ gets offensively out of ISU is amazing because you know we are going to have one of the slowest tempo ratings out of the P6.

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
Where would the real coach at Iowa- Marge- fit in all of this? Some guys run their house, some guys run around their house- I think we know who's running the house in IC.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron