ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I see myself treating it the same way I treat sports podcasts I already listen to like BS Report and Solid Verbal, where I basically pick and choose shows based on the guest/topic, especially during the offseason. I'm not sure how I see CF translating into a daily show though. If you're somebody who already frequents this site and listens to local sports talk during your commute, as I'd imagine the bulk of your potential audience does, a lot of the discussion already feels like retreading well-worn topics. You'd get away with it during basketball, and probably football season but april through mid-August would be BRUTAL unless you had some real creative tricks up your sleeve.

Solid points. I'd really focus on interviewing newsmakers around Iowa State with a goal of providing Cyclone fans the content they want, when they want it.

Again like this week, I'd focus on all of the guys hoping to get drafted.

During the summer, talk a lot of Cap City League. When a football preview magazine comes out, where does it have Iowa State? Maybe interview a publisher from that magazine.

You all are right though. We'd probably start off with two or three days a week and build from there. I don't think I'd have much of a problem when it comes to finding things to talk about though. I'm a windy dude.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't listen to podcasts now either, so probably not. Seems like you'd be trying to compete with the site in terms of offering any new information. Unless you had a guest everyday I don't see it offering anything new faster than what you can get on here already.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
My suggestion would be to shoot for consistent and frequent, but not daily. It seems to me that about two or three per week would be a good level. Interviews would be what I would be most interested in (current players, former players, coaches, sports journalists, ect).

Consistent is key, from the podcasts I do listen to, it seems the biggest Gripes of listeners are when you were dropping on Tuesday morning, but now all of a sudden, you don't have one for Wednesday. I listen a lot at work and I know I do kind of plan my days around podcasts I download. Not that I don't work if I don't have a podcast, but I listen to a couple a day, that's what I have time for. I don't just blindly download them. I have the ones I like a lot and have a select group I listen to. So, when you don't drop on Tuesday like normal, that leaves me time I wish I had a podcast. So yeah, the key really is to make sure you drop the same day and time. It's what will build you a consisten audience.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Hmm would I listen? I'll let Daniel Bryan answer for me

[video=youtube;xi_ieNt9cZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi_ieNt9cZA[/video]

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Solid points. I'd really focus on interviewing newsmakers around Iowa State with a goal of providing Cyclone fans the content they want, when they want it.

Again like this week, I'd focus on all of the guys hoping to get drafted.

During the summer, talk a lot of Cap City League. When a football preview magazine comes out, where does it have Iowa State? Maybe interview a publisher from that magazine.

You all are right though. We'd probably start off with two or three days a week and build from there. I don't think I'd have much of a problem when it comes to finding things to talk about though. I'm a windy dude.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I think if you were going to go daily, it would be fun to throw the spotlight on stuff like WBB, VB, Wrestling, etc. every once in awhile, although I'd imagine that doesn't translate into tons of downloads.

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
If you had 5 podcasts a week, I would average listening to about 4 of them - especially if you published them at the same time every day.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Daily? I don't know if there is the content for a daily one in the offseason. Plus I don't know if I could get to it everyday. Weekly? Sure I'd listen to that.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If you had 5 podcasts a week, I would average listening to about 4 of them - especially if you published them at the same time every day.

I would add to this, please publish them at a time where you can download them before you leave in the morning and have them be current throughout that day. For example, if you released a FB game preview show at 2:00 on a Friday, I'm not listening to that show. If you release late Thursday night so I can download it while I eat breakfast on Friday and have it that day at work, I'm definitely listening to it. Other listeners mileage may vary with that time preference, but I think the point stands that timing is everything with sports podcasts, because it's so time-sensitive.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I listen to most podcasts, but not all. I'd really try to focus on quality, not quantity. I'm in the camp of 1-3 per week would be ideal. If its ISU athletes/coaches etc I'd listen to every one. If you get a great conversation going, it could be an hour, if not, then 15 minutes.

With the exception of feature stories on cyclones.com or the occasional newspaper feature, you don't really hear much from the athletes/non-head coaches that much other than media days and vanilla post game press conferences.

I think podcasts would be the best way to leverage all of CW's contacts, enthusiasm, and hard work, while being able to more efficiently produce content that we all want to see/read/listen to.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Consistent is key, from the podcasts I do listen to, it seems the biggest Gripes of listeners are when you were dropping on Tuesday morning, but now all of a sudden, you don't have one for Wednesday. I listen a lot at work and I know I do kind of plan my days around podcasts I download. Not that I don't work if I don't have a podcast, but I listen to a couple a day, that's what I have time for. I don't just blindly download them. I have the ones I like a lot and have a select group I listen to. So, when you don't drop on Tuesday like normal, that leaves me time I wish I had a podcast. So yeah, the key really is to make sure you drop the same day and time. It's what will build you a consisten audience.

I agree with this and the suggestion that it is available through iTunes or RSS.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
Sounds like a great idea. I would listen. This would give me something to listen to when I go number 2

:pcool:

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Guys thank you so much for the awesome feedback and please, keep it coming!

Great notes on when to post, consistency, etc. I think what I'd do a lot of times with interviews are record in the afternoons, set to post at 5 a.m. or so - so it is there when you wake up. Obviously things come up, breaking news happens (I want this to be fresh), etc. but these are great notes for me as I game plan.

Again, any and all ideas are welcome here. Thanks!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Guys thank you so much for the awesome feedback and please, keep it coming!

Great notes on when to post, consistency, etc. I think what I'd do a lot of times with interviews are record in the afternoons, set to post at 5 a.m. or so - so it is there when you wake up. Obviously things come up, breaking news happens (I want this to be fresh), etc. but these are great notes for me as I game plan.

Again, any and all ideas are welcome here. Thanks!

If you're going daily, I'd try to theme your days so there's a specific draw and difference to each day of the week. One day is the CW and Arnaud show, one day is your Olympic/women's sports update, one day is the EnCyclonePedia stats and trends show. I don't think you even need to be on every podcast (not that I don't enjoy listening to you). Surely someone like Blum, if he had the time, could carry his own weekly show that would have a different feel and style from yours.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If it was an RSS feed so I could use listen with an podcast player on my nexus I would listen everyday for sure. It is too much of a hassle the way it is current done.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
What's a podcast? I don't listen to them either, none of them, whatever they are.

It's today's equivalent of someone sending you a new 8-track every day in the mail that you plug into your stereo and listen to it...

except the 8 track is an audio file, the mail is the internet, and your stereo is about any device that is connected to the internet and can play audio files.

So, yeah, like way better.

:wink:

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz