Wrestling Gambling issues

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
They have a roster of attorneys and could easily walk this back after taking a look at court documents and statements. It’ll get a whole lot worse before it gets better if they don’t act fast. Them admitting they were wrong and giving back the end part of the season would be at least a win for the NCAA in this situation. No idea what happens but the NCAA could easily save face here by taking action
FWIW as I am listening to this weeks Reaction Time pod they do mention that the NCAA ship has sailed and Dresser made that clear, they broke the rules and they have/are serving the time for that. Everything remaining is legal with DCI. @jcordova8 can chime in more.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
So the NCAA used illegal findings to make disciplinary decisions and you think “not a chance?” Not saying they will get to go, but “not a chance” isn’t in my vocabulary right now. The whole things a mess
I don’t think that you could say the NCAA used illegal findings because it was self-reported from the universities. The universities found out because of the DCI investigation, but that’s not how the NCAA became aware.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Yeah definitely just look at the current situation as strictly legal. The NCAA is very separate from the criminal investigation in this case. The time they lost from competing they're not going to get back but they'll be able to have a serious case against the state for damages, among other things with the recent information!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just curious how wide the geo-fence was. For instance, many athletes live within a few blocks of the Sports Performance Center. Might they have been tracked at home as well as at the SPC?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So the NCAA used illegal findings to make disciplinary decisions and you think “not a chance?” Not saying they will get to go, but “not a chance” isn’t in my vocabulary right now. The whole things a mess

Whether or not the findings are "illegal" have no bearing on the NCAA. The NCAA is not bound by legality. The NCAA could have done the same investigation and suspended the athletes, they (the NCAA) are not bound to the same requirements public law enforcement is.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Just curious how wide the geo-fence was. For instance, many athletes live within a few blocks of the Sports Performance Center. Might they have been tracked at home as well as at the SPC?
I have not read the documents in detail but I had read on twitter I believe in some of the tweets Keith Murphy put out that the geofencing was around sports/campus facilities.

• Winner
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG