Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I have a friend who works at ISU and he thinks there are some big financial problems coming down the pike, with LAS specifically. Apparently they were already supposed to make some pretty sizeable cuts and they are behind schedule on that.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Was in Decorah recently and someone familiar with Luther College said that due to low enrollment since covid, all students must live in the dorms. No off campus living allowed anymore.

Reactions: agentbear

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Jamie Pollard has been outspoken on this for years. It was at least 5 years ago that I first heard him talking about the enrollment cliff. This feels like a financial bubble that is in the process of bursting. Some saw it coming, others ignored it, but all will feel its effect.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I have a friend who works at ISU and he thinks there are some big financial problems coming down the pike, with LAS specifically. Apparently they were already supposed to make some pretty sizeable cuts and they are behind schedule on that.

Here's something of an update on that:

There will be departments both gutted and going away/merging together. The overall cutting will be huge.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Living in WV, I believe the problem runs much deeper. The average income here is deplorable. The work ethic for the younger generation is deplorable. The drug problem for the younger people is ... you guessed it: deplorable. I was just commenting this morning to my wife. For the past 40 years, I haven't seen any high schoolers working at local restaurants as both her and I did. Or anywhere for that matter. What am I missing. What changed? Local communities such as mine are feverishly trying to figure it out in an era of increasing budget cuts. I've been a free market type of person my whole life, but even I can see where it's now failing the necessary educational needs. Here, at least. Maybe not so much elsewhere. I'm going to stay glued to this thread as I'm hoping others throughout the country have faced similar woes, but have figured it out. Please voice your solution.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I'll take "What is administrative bloat" for $2,000.

Yep, Everything is so bloated now. Get ready for Drastic Tuition increase as well. They will just try and pass it on to students like normal. With less enrollment now coming and higher tuition, unless it's a very specified field, kids are going to quit going to college and figure out a trade job.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
There’s an interesting line in this article that I think they glossed over and really is at the core of state supported higher education.

It’s yet more evidence of a consultant-driven mentality that is overtaking university administrations, where academic inquiry is reduced to its value in the marketplace

Isn’t value in the marketplace the argument for the state funding higher education in the first place? I get where you could have more freedom in that academic inquiry in private schools. But to say the state should pay for programs that there isn’t the benefit back to seems backwards. Does the state of West Virginia see a benefit from having graduates with a foreign language degree for example?

I guess I’m fine with the state universities making cuts only in certain fields and catering to a smaller set of degree programs that reflect the state’s needs.

Reactions: BACyclone

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
There’s an interesting line in this article that I think they glossed over and really is at the core of state supported higher education.

Isn’t value in the marketplace the argument for the state funding higher education in the first place? I get where you could have more freedom in that academic inquiry in private schools. But to say the state should pay for programs that there isn’t the benefit back to seems backwards. Does the state of West Virginia see a benefit from having graduates with a foreign language degree for example?

I guess I’m fine with the state universities making cuts only in certain fields and catering to a smaller set of degree programs that reflect the state’s needs.
When we depend on the 'free market' and only value making money this is what happens. Humanity loses, I promise.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Living in WV, I believe the problem runs much deeper. The average income here is deplorable. The work ethic for the younger generation is deplorable. The drug problem for the younger people is ... you guessed it: deplorable. I was just commenting this morning to my wife. For the past 40 years, I haven't seen any high schoolers working at local restaurants as both her and I did. Or anywhere for that matter. What am I missing. What changed? Local communities such as mine are feverishly trying to figure it out in an era of increasing budget cuts. I've been a free market type of person my whole life, but even I can see where it's now failing the necessary educational needs. Here, at least. Maybe not so much elsewhere. I'm going to stay glued to this thread as I'm hoping others throughout the country have faced similar woes, but have figured it out. Please voice your solution.

There's a lot of thoughts for this but they belong in the Cave. WV and others have been following a pretty specific playbook the last 40 years and it's bearing fruit. These results are absolutely the feature and not a bug.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Running a college based solely off the needs of the marketplace is going to end horribly. Should job needs be taken into consideration? Absolutely. But if you only have programs that some sort of consultant has deemed to have a good ROI or something you are going to start losing out on a lot of things. Not everyone can or should be a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer or an accountant. We need people in all fields for the betterment of society

Last edited:

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Well, we're implementing the same 'solutions,' so ISU isn't far off. The school just slow-played the massive layoffs instead of jumping in headfirst.
Yes, and it sucks. ISU changed the funding model so the Colleges of LAS and Human Sciences are taking it in the shorts, and so we are forced to slash and burn. That doesn't even factor into the almost $1 billion of deferred maintenance on campus.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I wonder about higher education and retention in Iowa.

We've had "brain drain" since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Which degrees do Iowans receive and then stay in state? Do some perform better than others? Is this a path to cutting programs that don't payoff for Iowa?

If it boils down to hard economics then what does this all look like?

Reactions: agentbear

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

WV isn't far from DC. I could see a ton of value in the foreign service space for those types of degrees. And I'll get on my soapbox here and say that this view of higher ed as simply what widget makers does it spit out is short sighted and dangerous. Higher ed - which should be heavily funded by goverment - is about creating citizens, not workers. It's for the benefit of society as a whole. If corporations need a specific widget maker, they can train their widget makers. Training people for specific careers based on what is in demand today or even forecasted for 10 yrs from now is a dangerous game.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Yep, Everything is so bloated now. Get ready for Drastic Tuition increase as well. They will just try and pass it on to students like normal. With less enrollment now coming and higher tuition, unless it's a very specified field, kids are going to quit going to college and figure out a trade job.
Higher tuition will lead to more teens and families opting out of college. And for those that do enroll and have to take on large student loans, it will continue the trend of delayed life events like buying a home or starting a family.

It's a short-term solution with compounding, long-term knock-on effects.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron