WWB: New Profiles and who will be 2015-16 Most Dominant player

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I hope they have as much fun in the season as they seem to be having here. And, Durr and Kidd sure have some fun threadbare jeans.

I have seen groups of them out and about a couple of times and it seems like they really ARE having fun and bonding well together. I'm already noticing (positive) differences between now and the last couple of seasons. Hopefully, that's a good sign.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I am going to go with our Canadian recruit. With BF's like of playing four guards, I think she will see a lot of minutes at the 3 and 4 spots. She does rebound well and with her international experience could be farther a long than the other two recruits.

Side note: After two great years of recruiting, the 2016 class seems like a let down. I hope we can rebound in 2017 and 2018.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I am going to go with our Canadian recruit. With BF's like of playing four guards, I think she will see a lot of minutes at the 3 and 4 spots. She does rebound well and with her international experience could be farther a long than the other two recruits. Side note: After two great years of recruiting, the 2016 class seems like a let down. I hope we can rebound in 2017 and 2018.
Well, in all fairness, all we loose this year is Kidd and Maddie, and we are adding two, and the 2016s see who is ahead of them on the roster and it makes it harder to get them to commit when playing time might not be what they want right away. Who knows, maybe there is another surprise get out there for 2016. There really isn't much to know about Camber out there other than Bluestar Europe rated her 5 stars. 2017 we already have Kristin Scott and Rae Rae Johnson.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Another Facebook picture posting from WBB.

12011373_1003858302968102_8684393181902529624_n.jpg

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I am going to go with our Canadian recruit. With BF's like of playing four guards, I think she will see a lot of minutes at the 3 and 4 spots. She does rebound well and with her international experience could be farther a long than the other two recruits.

Side note: After two great years of recruiting, the 2016 class seems like a let down. I hope we can rebound in 2017 and 2018.

With Jadda and Claire getting their redshirts, you may have seen a change in recruiting for 2016.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I think Burkhall is going to play a bigger role than people think, Claire, also. Their rebounding potential is sorely needed. Seanna is going to be her steady self, I hope. I worry about Jadda trying to do too much. This will be the breakout year for Durr, IMO.

Bryanna needs to be solid player, expand her strength. I would have her in the weight room everyday. Maddie needs to hit the weights, also. Carleton, I just don't know, yet. When the team gets deeper, we're better. When I see Jordan and Tee Tee, I'll know things are okay.

Last edited:

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Well, in all fairness, all we loose this year is Kidd and Maddie, and we are adding two, and the 2016s see who is ahead of them on the roster and it makes it harder to get them to commit when playing time might not be what they want right away. Who knows, maybe there is another surprise get out there for 2016. There really isn't much to know about Camber out there other than Bluestar Europe rated her 5 stars. 2017 we already have Kristin Scott and Rae Rae Johnson.

In all fairness... if our program wants to move up in the rankings year after year then we can't have (I surrender) type of classes. The graduated senior is basically a rent-a-player for one year and probably won't contribute that much to the team. The book is still out on the Swedish guard as she might do a Claire Rockhall and get homesick and go home. Yes, we do have the top player in the state of Minn. verballed for 2017 in Scott and a top ten PG in Rae Rae. But, we need a lot more to be and to stay a top program in the Big 12. The last two classes have been the best we have seen in years if we want to be considered with the best then we have to do the same year after year. Our staff is good enough to do this and more. Lastly, your comment about playing time leads me to a question. How does Baylor, and Oklahoma add talent every year even with loaded teams?

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In all fairness... if our program wants to move up in the rankings year after year then we can't have (I surrender) type of classes. The graduated senior is basically a rent-a-player for one year and probably won't contribute that much to the team. The book is still out on the Swedish guard as she might do a Claire Rockhall and get homesick and go home. Yes, we do have the top player in the state of Minn. verballed for 2017 in Scott and a top ten PG in Rae Rae. But, we need a lot more to be and to stay a top program in the Big 12. The last two classes have been the best we have seen in years if we want to be considered with the best then we have to do the same year after year. Our staff is good enough to do this and more. Lastly, your comment about playing time leads me to a question. How does Baylor, and Oklahoma add talent every year even with loaded teams?

For Baylor and Oklahoma it's Final Fours and national championships. Cole has dropped off since her title and Final Fours but Baylor's is more recent and running the table for the Big 12 title every year. Baylor is elite. Oklahoma recently was and could be again (maybe). ISU has an elite fan base but is not an elite team. Good program and good team but not elite.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

If you're expecting us to be comparable to Baylor, probably the best program in the country over the last decade, then you're going to be disappointed no matter what. Do you expect our football program to be comparable to Alabama's as well?

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

No doubt we lost out of several top players for the 2016 class, but what are you going to do when all your offers commit elsewhere: Koenen, Fredrickson, Tudor, Russell, Cera, Olinger, Sullivan, Doyle, Cox, Goodson, Hebard, and Ford.

Bowe
was a 3-year starter for Balcomb, since a Freshman. Granted her numbers aren't amazing, but pretty solid for a 20 minutes of play. Balcomb tends to run a huge rotation, with most players in the 15-25 minutes range. Also, Vandy runs very similar offensive sets, and Balcomb like BF has a history of very successful "undersized" post/forwards, just wish she had a three shot.

I think this was a move to add a solid experience practice player to the roster for the young forwards/posts, and have some reserve for a solid season for a huge year when she can play.

Her year of play:

Jadda - RJr
Tee Tee - So
Emily - Jr
Carleton - So
Adrianna - Fr
Seanna - Sr
Bre - Jr
Claire - RSo
Meredith - So
Heather - 5YrSr

That's a pretty good looking balanced roster The following year though, we lose both Heather and Seanna, and only add Kristen Scott so far in the front court. Here's holding out that we have a chance with Abi Scheid still, losing out on Emily Sullivan recently, hurt.

I don't think any of us have any idea how well Adriana will work out, we just don't much yet. Anxious to hear BF talk about her.

I think the difference between ISU and the elite teams in regards to playing time are a bit different. Would BF bench an upperclasman in favor of playing a freshman/sophomore that brings more to the table? Mulkey does that and has a reputation for doing that. Spots on the floor are earned from scratch with her every year, and that is what other elite teams like UConn, Stanford, and Tennessee tell recruits and do as well. Also, the whole national championship history/potential means a lot too. We learned that all too well with Kiah and Taylor who opted for those programs knowing playing time would be a challenge early on, and Taylor, really never lived up to her potential on the court, but Kiah got a couple NC rings, and is going to be WNBA rookie of the year thanks to her training with Geno.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
If you're expecting us to be comparable to Baylor, probably the best program in the country over the last decade, then you're going to be disappointed no matter what. Do you expect our football program to be comparable to Alabama's as well?

UConn has been to 8 of 10 final fours and won it all five times, they are the best program in the country for women's basketball and it isn't even close.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I follow the Baylor fan board a little bit. They recruit over people and then have/hope for transfer outs. Playing for NC's give you a big edge on recruiting. I feel that our recruiting has improved quite a bit in the last couple of years. Well no matter how it turns out I'll cheer them on.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
UConn has been to 8 of 10 final fours and won it all five times, they are the best program in the country for women's basketball and it isn't even close.

Good point. It goes:

UCONN

Baylor

Anyone else

Still, expecting us to be on the same level as Baylor is just ******* stupid. Replace Alabama in my previous analogy with Oregon. It's still a ridiculous expectation.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County

Wow, that is a stretch comparing the women's basketball team and their history and the football team. I don't expect to be Baylor after two good classes but I do expect the program to improve every years. We have seen this in the past where we have one or two good years and then the staff rests on it laurels and we have four or five down years. Yes, we do make the big dance but then go one and done. This top flight fan base that was mentioned deserves more.

I agree that no matter what, I will still cheer them on.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wow, that is a stretch comparing the women's basketball team and their history and the football team. I don't expect to be Baylor after two good classes but I do expect the program to improve every years. We have seen this in the past where we have one or two good years and then the staff rests on it laurels and we have four or five down years. Yes, we do make the big dance but then go one and done. This top flight fan base that was mentioned deserves more.

I agree that no matter what, I will still cheer them on.

Agree with that for sure. There was a time 10-15 years ago I was cautiously optimistic that we might have the makings of an elite program or at least an elite program within the conference. I no longer believe that can happen under Bill but still would like to get back to some Sweet Sixteens and maybe an Elite Eight. And maybe somehow grabbing that elusive conference championship.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Agree with that for sure. There was a time 10-15 years ago I was cautiously optimistic that we might have the makings of an elite program or at least an elite program within the conference. I no longer believe that can happen under Bill but still would like to get back to some Sweet Sixteens and maybe an Elite Eight. And maybe somehow grabbing that elusive conference championship.

I'm curious to see how well we do the next couple years with what has to be the most talent on the roster since the Welle/Frese years. If we could get a couple elite 8, or even a final four, it would do wonders for our recruiting.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
[h=3]

All three true freshmen to play
[/h]Bill Fennelly wasn’t shy about his plan for his three highly touted freshmen entering their first collegiate season.
Fennelly, entering his 21st season as Iowa State’s head coach, said Meredith Burkhall, Bridget Carleton and TeeTee Starks are all expected to play big minutes for the Cyclones.

If true we will see a team with a lot of rotations early on, not unusual, but it may well be that way through the season unless there are clear leaders. Youthful team, lots of potential, high expectations and some question marks.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It's fun seeing so many of the ladies names being mentioned. Personally, the glue of this team is Seanna. She is the one who is like a rock consistent.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It's fun seeing so many of the ladies names being mentioned. Personally, the glue of this team is Seanna. She is the one who is like a rock consistent.
Yeah, new and old names popping around may be very good thing. Seanna WILL be a rock she has proven that.