Xavier Thames article

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Parents always want their kid to stay close to home. No shocker there. We were in his top 3.

If we go after him hard, I have to think we will have a decent chance

SpRiNgLiMe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2007
Ames
I posted this in the other recruiting thread about Thames. Notice that we are mentioned.

"Ray Thames quoted the organizer of his son's AAU summer team, Etop Emu of the Compton Magic, as saying that several schools are interested in accepting Thames on the rebound, among them Marquette, Iowa, UCLA, Florida and Iowa State."
Cougars | WSU coach search goes wide | Seattle Times Newspaper

I don't know what the status is with those schools, but some competition is stirring for his services. It isn't everyday that a player of his caliber is on the market this late.

Also from April 7th, when asked about WSU new coach:
"They like him," said the senior Thames. "They think he's a great guy, and they like his coaching style."

As for his son, Ray Thames said, "He still thinks Washington State is a really good fit for him. We just want to see if it's the right fit."
Bud Withers | It's a matter of style, and Cougars choose Ken Bone | Seattle Times Newspaper

I guess only time will tell if he ends up at WSU or elsewhere. Best scenario is he gets released so we at least get a shot.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Also, our style is the same style that Thames would like to play, from what I understand he wants a half court game that can run if needed.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I have yet to see ISU run up and down the floor with anybody including Southwest Rhode Island State Baptist or whoever those teams we schedule are. We don't need a guard at this point in my opinion. What we have is a totally raw player (Hamilton---he is good dont get me wrong), a juco that is more of a 3 (Dendy), a step out 3 point shooter (Vanderbeken), and a redshirted player who still has the jury out on him (Pomlee). I think we need to throw more bodies at our bigs than in our back-court.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, our style is the same style that Thames would like to play, from what I understand he wants a half court game that can run if needed.

According to the article, he prefers an up-tempo style, so that would be another strike against us besides geography.

"St. Mary’s coach Randy Bennett, no relation to Tony Bennett, recruited Thames to the West Coast Conference school in Moraga. He also runs an up-tempo style preferred by Thames."

hawkeye_t

Apr 24, 2006
ID via PA via ME via IA
A little info from HR.com today where they spoke with Thames' AAU coach stated that ISU has not been in contact with Thames and the coach basically stated that he does not feel ISU is recruiting him any longer.

My assumption is that with Colvin in the fold they feel they have other needs.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
A little info from HR.com today where they spoke with Thames' AAU coach stated that ISU has not been in contact with Thames and the coach basically stated that he does not feel ISU is recruiting him any longer.

My assumption is that with Colvin in the fold they feel they have other needs.

If I had a guess I would say he is going to stay at washington state