Yogi Bera

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, this would never end. I wouldn't say it lacks class as much as it does intelligence. You are putting your players in a position to get crushed again if he throws the starters back in. Like I said I have no problem running up the score or taking advantage of the third string, you just better remember you may have to play them again and they will not forget.

That is how I felt with Pete Carroll earlier this year when Harbaugh stomped on him in a big way. Pete had done that forever and now they became a good teams whipping boy and teams gave it to them and it was awesome that he was ******. I don't have a problem with not running it up or running it up, whichever, I just think you have to know the same thing can happen to you.

That looks like a good place to leave it. I'll let you have the last word...er...oops, sorry.

:wink:

Reactions: Tre4ISU

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I was at that game personally sitting in the 5th row. It was Sylvia Hatchell and light blue UNC Tar Heels. I'll never forget how ****** Fennelly was when he had to put the starting five back on the floor. I believe we were ranked #5 at that time with Stacy Frese at point guard. In the post-game interview Fennelly said he was "happy to see the baby blue jerseys leave the building."

It was most definitely NOT Kay Yow at NC State. She was the classiest. But feel free to trash UNC all you want! :)

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
Reminds me a little bit of a game about 10 years ago when I think we were playing NC State and Kay Yow was still coaching. We were pounding them into dust, and could have named the score, and they had not pressed the whole game - likely because they knew we would kill their press. I was sick at home listening to the game, and at about the 8:00 mark, leading by roughly 25, BF cleared the bench. Yow chose that moment to not only leave her starters in, but started to press and really ate into the lead big time. Rich Fellingham was saying that BF was staring down the sideline at the NCS bench, but Yow wouldn't look at him. Finally, with the lead almost down to single digits, BF had to back with the starters - and we did hang on.

My friends and I had some spirited discussion about whether Yow did the right/wrong thing, and whether she had a right to try to win the game. It is very sad that Yow died of cancer, but I lost all respect for her as a person, and I know that BF was major PO'd.

Anyone else remember this?

I remember it and it wasnt NCSU and Yow but Sylvia Hatchell and UNC. I found it classless, but dont dump it on Yow.. it wasnt her.....

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I remember the UNC game - and was reminded of it frequently. ISU pasted them that day, but, in the intervening years UNC climbed to the top of WBB and I lamented "why not us." Hatchell got some good recruits, most significant and memorable for me was Ivory Latta. It seems the program is on the down swing - breaks my heart.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Nice find. I remember the game. Is Fennelly the Rodney Dangerfield of coaching, "No respect"? Never been Big XII coach of the year?, I guess just in our conference. Bothers me.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
At the time, I was calling Hatchell the "wicked witch of the east" for her prank, but over time, I have come to see it differently. ISU had the best of them that day, and while I don't remember the exact time left, I think it was more than usual when you put in the reserves (except against a team that is obviously at a much lower talent level). I think BF learned from that day as well, as seen against Baylor when he did not send in the end of the bench until the last couple of minutes.