Yormark nuggets from WBB/MBB Media Days

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
*Early discussions underway to keep both tournaments in Kansas City through 2031. Goal is to have agreement finalized by March.

*Starting 2024-25, men will play 20 conference games and women will play 18. Difference is due to coaches' requests and the WBB tournament occurring a week earlier than MBB.

*Potential for "enhanced" broadcasts and coverage. Hinted at what the NFL is doing to bring in younger audience.

*Football scheduling parameters will include geography, competitive balance, history, and rivalries. Work ongoing.

*Olympic sport scheduling will focus on geography as well.

Edit to add: *Will explore splitting MBB and FB TV contracts in the future. Has the option, but will only do so if the value is there.

*New weekly SiriusXM radio show focusing on WBB and Olympic sports.

*Big 12 Mexico on track for Dec. 2024 (Kansas/Houston men and women).

*Rucker Park event again next summer, potentially with an alumni game included.

*Shaq making a return to P&L for 2024 tournament.

*Additional premium seating and hospitality options for fans at MBB/WBB championships.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Utah fans seem to be on track as being the new Texas/OU for being the new guys who think the league should revolve around them.

Yeah, but they don't have near the cache as Texas, so good luck with that. The tournament in Vegas is just another thing that happens in that city on any given weekend. In KC it's a huge event in close proximity to very passionate fan bases. Glad Yormark is smart enough to see that.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Yeah, but they don't have near the cache as Texas, so good luck with that. The tournament in Vegas is just another thing that happens in that city on any given weekend. In KC it's a huge event in close proximity to very passionate fan bases. Glad Yormark is smart enough to see that.
Have spoken to fans that have attended many other big tourneys, including BigEast in MSG and Big10 in several spots.

They were amazed at KC, the Power and Light, as well as everything else.

Also that it was mostly affordable and accessible for the average fan.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Utah fans seem to be on track as being the new Texas/OU for being the new guys who think the league should revolve around them.

I can understand how someone who has never been to KC for the tourney would suggest Vegas, its not a moronic idea. However, the most important and telling part of his statement is "I haven't been to KC".

I suspect he will change his mind after attending once. As long as at least 1 of KU, ISU, or KSU is playing in semi's.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

the guy should shut up until he goes to KC. Having gone myself i would argue KC has probably the best atmosphere out of all the championship locations.

actually, his first mistake was adding Utah.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The one thing that could get me against Brett would be moving the basketball tournament. So I'm glad he wants to keep it in KC.

As far as the PAC 12 schools that are ******** about Vegas go.....there are 4 original Big 8 members left in this conference (Kansases, OSU, and us). We've saved many schools over the years and the other conferences didn't want to save us. So we better get some benefits from that ;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can understand how someone who has never been to KC for the tourney would suggest Vegas, its not a moronic idea. However, the most important and telling part of his statement is "I haven't been to KC".

I suspect he will change his mind after attending once. As long as at least 1 of KU, ISU, or KSU is playing in semi's.

The Big Ten experimented with have theirs in D.C. one year and NY the next. Now they are back to having it in the Midwest. Going to be in Mpls this year and probably alternating between that and Chicago and Indy. New west coast peeps will probably want it in LA or something. Lot's of luck with that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So guess the football championship is staying at Cowboys Stadium?

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008

KC is also still very close to the geographic center of the conference, which is somewhere near Oklahoma City.

When it comes to proximity, putting the tournament in Vegas (farther west than literally every school in the conference) would be akin to putting it in Washington DC or Charlotte NC.

1000002064.png