You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
yeah they moved down the street, and I’m pretty sure you’re right about that. But I think they’re still open aren’t they?
you're right i think they are still open in the old DaVinci's spot between Kum & Go and that bar that has changed names 100 times that smelled like a barn. In my day it was Dean's List.

• Haha
Reactions: JP4CY

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Mayhouse has that same metal pot and Styrofoam cup for water. Speaking of which, the last couple times I have been in Ames Mayhouse has had a closed until further notice sign. Anybody know what is going on with it?
I heard that Mei had to temporarily close the restaurant to focus on caring for her husband, who is having health problems. Was told the plan was to eventually open back up, but not sure when.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I heard that Mei had to temporarily close the restaurant to focus on caring for her husband, who is having health problems. Was told the plan was to eventually open back up, but not sure when.
I love their mustard pork. Incredible.

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
New Dragon Chinese on the East Side of Welch.
95-2002ish era.
I think any dish on their menu was $3.29.
By 2002, they had raised the rates to $3.99.
Szechuan Chicken was the Shizzel!!

So cheap, so good!

• Agree
Reactions: sandiego

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
New Dragon Chinese on the East Side of Welch.
95-2002ish era.
I think any dish on their menu was $3.29.
By 2002, they had raised the rates to $3.99.
Szechuan Chicken was the Shizzel!!

So cheap, so good!

That sounds like Little Taipei

Reactions: Ingynow and ccruzen

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Minskys when it was behind Cy Roost.
O’Malleys, Rupert Jones song (Pina Coloda song) was written for owner of O’Malleys.
Palma’s Steakhouse
The Boiler in the 70’s, great ISU supporters - especially wrestling.
Lunch box was a treasure to locals, while the truck stop was a treasure to all.
BeeVee’s was the 70’s version on BBops.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Since most have already been mentioned, I'll go with a chain. I spent a lot of time studying in the Burger King on Lincoln Way across from UDA. Bottomless pop was my cheap go-to for a late night cram session.

My (now) wife and I loved their 2 burgers, 2 fries, 2 bucks deal on Sunday when food service wasn't an option.

Reactions: Cyguy94

Mar 21, 2021
Pizza: DaVinci's

Deli/Subs: Mr. Goodcents

Having those two places so close to each other in Campustown and only two blocks from me was the best.

Also, who's old enough to remember the McDonald's on Welch just south of Welch Ave Station and you could get 'Cyclone Fries' for like $5 and it was just a bag completely full of their french fries.
I remember that McD's. Remember summer of 84, LA Olympics? The Russians were a no show, so the US dominated, and almost every game card at McDs was a food item winner. I had a cute GF, and she'd score piles of game cards. Ate at that McDs all summer.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Battle's is my choice but anybody remember "New China" over by Hy-Vee in west Ames?

My roommates and I ate there almost every day around 99 to 01. It was pretty good and you got giant portion of fried rice, an entree and a can of soda for $3.99.

It wasn't even a question if we were going there for lunch if a bunch of people happened to be home mid day, it was just who was going to go get it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Battles or home team pizza

In late 90s Home team had two styles of pizza. The thicker one that they sold by the slice in the middle of the night was great. The thin one that I think people tended to get with delivery deals I was not a fan of.

I remember walking there from MWL in a crazy blizzard one night and we were all kind of amazed they were even open. I think we stayed there for hours not wanting to go back out in it until they kicked us out.

Reactions: cyclone13 and GTO

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No Shakey’s:rolleyes:

Shakey's chain is alive and well in southern California, (assuming you're talking about Shakey's pizza).

My dad grew up with it when they had several Iowa locations and we went there together last week. He said the pizza is actually still very similar to what he remembers in 60s/70s, was a nostalgia trip for him. It's pretty good. I hadn't had it before.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Pizza: DaVinci's

Deli/Subs: Mr. Goodcents

Having those two places so close to each other in Campustown and only two blocks from me was the best.

Also, who's old enough to remember the McDonald's on Welch just south of Welch Ave Station and you could get 'Cyclone Fries' for like $5 and it was just a bag completely full of their french fries.

DaVinci's subs were pretty amazing too.

I lived not far from Lincoln for a few years in middle school and high school and had been to the Lincoln locations so I was pretty pumped when I got to ISU and realized they had DaVinci's. I think it was just a few in Lincoln and the one in Ames.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The old place on Heyward (next to Jimmy John's) could seat a dozen people at most.

I would go there for lunch and usually be ok to sit, but if you went before a football game or something you better be happy getting it to go.

I don't really like jazz but somehow loved the jazz music while I ate there. A few times when I've had some supposedly super famous award winning brisket it really doesn't seem any different than Battle's. I think it was pretty legit bbq at a time before Iowa really had much if any of it.