You want Apathy? I'll show you Apathy.

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
It's halftime of the Iowa-Ohio State game. The hawks are getting pounded. Shocker!

Anyway, I just took a look at Jon Miller's site. Almost no game talk to speak of. 6 posts in one thread. 8 in another.

That is beyond pathetic. Can you imagine a Cyclone game night on CF without hundreds of posts? Even if we're getting dominated?

Fran really has his work cut out for him.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
You are completely right. Even in the 4th year under GMAC, the threads on this site would get well over 200 posts for a game. Fact is that Iowa has poor basketball fans. They enjoy cheering for winners and won't cheer if the team struggles.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They've really fallen a long way, haven't they? I saw they got a mention in one of the recent ESPN blog chats as being one of the bottom four Big 6 teams along with Wake, DePaul, and Auburn.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I would be really concerned as a Hawk fan that their "uptempo" offense often only musters 20-25 points in a half against decent teams. I don't expect Lackluster's players to light it up, but they should at least be scoring more in this offense.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
They've really fallen a long way, haven't they? I saw they got a mention in one of the recent ESPN blog chats as being one of the bottom four Big 6 teams along with Wake, DePaul, and Auburn.

They have. It has been a long process. When I lived in IC 6 years ago the apathy was there than. I remember when they played UNI and even though it was in state game, there were only 8K for fans. Now that would be a good crowd in IC for a non conference game.

As for Wake, DePaul, and Auburn. They are offended that ESPN would lump them in with the Hawks! :twitcy:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I would be really concerned as a Hawk fan that their "uptempo" offense often only musters 20-25 points in a half against decent teams. I don't expect Lackluster's players to light it up, but they should at least be scoring more in this offense.

You can only play uptempo so much when you don't have players. It's the same for ISU's offense. We run this spread no huddle offense and we still don't score points b/c we don't have the players for it.

Iowa's players are recruited for a slow, grind it out game and he is asking them to play uptempo. Well if they do, they get run out of they gym.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You can only play uptempo so much when you don't have players. It's the same for ISU's offense. We run this spread no huddle offense and we still don't score points b/c we don't have the players for it.

Iowa's players are recruited for a slow, grind it out game and he is asking them to play uptempo. Well if they do, they get run out of they gym.

You're absolutely right. And they aren't talented enough to grind it out, so they can't win either way.

If they didn't have Basabe, they'd be even more ridiculously bad, and they'll need upsets to win 10 games as it is.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

This is true, but I expected them to score more but give up more, simply due to the extra possessions.

And, also, using ISU as an example, we took our grinding offense and players and upshifted it pretty successfully.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
This is true, but I expected them to score more but give up more, simply due to the extra possessions.

And, also, using ISU as an example, we took our grinding offense and players and upshifted it pretty successfully.

Sorry, I was talking about football.

Everyone gets excited when they hear words like, "spread" or "no huddle" in football or "uptempo" in basketball. That is great and all but just b/c you say or try and run those offenses doesn't mean you are going to be more successful or score more points.

Hawk fans will disagree but Iowa would have a couple more wins this year if Todd Lickliter were coaching the team. Not because he is a better coach than Fran, but b/c these players would be more successful in his system.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Would the players have stayed if Lickliter wasn't fired?

I don't know the answer, but that's an important variable that would affect them with his staying. It's possible that they would have been worse.

Either way, though, once you're this bad, degrees of bad probably don't matter.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Would the players have stayed if Lickliter wasn't fired?

I don't know the answer, but that's an important variable that would affect them with his staying. It's possible that they would have been worse.

Either way, though, once you're this bad, degrees of bad probably don't matter.

Probably not. I'm just saying from a style of play look at it. Throw in Bo Ryan, Ben Jacobsen, Tony Bennett, any coach that coaches a half court offense and I think Iowa has a couple more wins this year. None many of their players are talented or good enough to pick up the pace and play faster IMO.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
I don't know if apathy is really the right word for it. Yes they don't care right not but I think it is more of a we will check back in in 2 yrs when Fran has had a little time. Apathy would have been in Todd was still the coach this year.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I don't know if apathy is really the right word for it. Yes they don't care right not but I think it is more of a we will check back in in 2 yrs when Fran has had a little time. Apathy would have been in Todd was still the coach this year.

There has been apathy in that program since Alford was there. A little passion comes back when a new coach is hired but that only last a short while. I remember when Alford was making a strong push to the students to come to the games b/c he was catching a lot of flack for attendance dropping during his time at Iowa

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Probably not. I'm just saying from a style of play look at it. Throw in Bo Ryan, Ben Jacobsen, Tony Bennett, any coach that coaches a half court offense and I think Iowa has a couple more wins this year. None many of their players are talented or good enough to pick up the pace and play faster IMO.

I agree that they can't run. I'm just adding another variable for curiosity.

It's still hard to see that team winning 10 games. Dey bad.

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008

Not caring for two years? That sounds like apathy to me.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Ouch. They didn't even hit 50 tonight. Leading scorer was Brommer of all people. Gatens had nothing. May was a ghost along with Cole.

Bad basketball, tonight.

CloneJob

Jan 10, 2009
Ankeny
They suck beyond suck. They like to say that teams always play hot against them, but truth is their defense sucks. It should make it just about impossible to recruit any decent talent.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
In related news, Georgia Tech is beating Wake Forest 70-32.

WF scored their first FG of the second half with 7 min. to go in the half.

Iowa lost to Wake.