Young shooting 3Ps next year?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I met with him on Monday. I kind of messed with him at the end. (First), we talked offensively, he's got to make some growth this summer, skill level and scoring around the basket but really just expanding his game. He can make threes, and he'll shoot them next year. (At the end), I said, 'Man, probably should have played you earlier,' and he just laughed.

The above quote is from Coach Prohm in an article/Q&A from Travis Hines http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20170327/mens-basketball-prohm-reflects-on-2016-17

May open things up for a guy like Juiston to drive.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
If you went to cap city you saw that Young has pretty good range. It's just with this year we already had 4 people on the floor that can nail threes so he wasn't needed much on the perimeter. I think we can see him morph into kinda a stretch 4 in the coming years. I think he can drive a bit too, but I think the main thing he needs to work on for next year is his hands. He has a really bright future.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If you went to cap city you saw that Young has pretty good range. It's just with this year we already had 4 people on the floor that can nail threes so he wasn't needed much on the perimeter. I think we can see him morph into kinda a stretch 4 in the coming years. I think he can drive a bit too, but I think the main thing he needs to work on for next year is his hands. He has a really bright future.
I like the thought of teaming an athletic 6'8" 250lb 3P shooting "5" with a great passing 6'7" forward that can drive.

Needless to say, much of our future success depends on Young's development. He's got the potential!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He reminds me so much of Ejim as a young player. So much raw athletic talent, but a bit has fits of clumsiness / bad hands. Just not much "handle" to his game yet. If he can progress like Melvin I will be so happy!
I don't think he's clumsy. He's coordinated and has decent hands. Like most freshman bigs, what he doesn't have is a handle and experience.

Ejim as a freshman was a 6'6" small forward without good ball handling or an outside shot.

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
If he can shoot them at a decent clip that's great, but we don't need him shooting more than 1 or 2 a game, even with a revamped lineup next year. He can serve the offense just as well by consistently hitting 15 footers from the elbow and the short corner. I'm excited about the kid. I think he's going to be a helluva player for us.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If he can shoot them at a decent clip that's great, but we don't need him shooting more than 1 or 2 a game, even with a revamped lineup next year. He can serve the offense just as well by consistently hitting 15 footers from the elbow and the short corner. I'm excited about the kid. I think he's going to be a helluva player for us.
I don't know if we know enough about our offense next year. A center hitting 3s and pulling out the defense is a huge asset, certainly serves the offense more than 15 footers imo.

Prohm saying he'll shoot them next year right after the season ended has me optimistic it'll be a dimension of his game and our offense.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I don't know if we know enough about our offense next year. A center hitting 3s and pulling out the defense is a huge asset, certainly serves the offense more than 15 footers imo.

Prohm saying he'll shoot them next year right after the season ended has me optimistic it'll be a dimension of his game and our offense.

You're right. I should have said it'd be great if he could take 1 or 2 a game and hit them at a decent clip. Oh wait.