Your thoughts...

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
So I was speaking to a coworker today and he is convinced that Oden is going to be a complete flop. I understand the knee problems, but that is not what makes a player a flop. I just didn't understand how he can be so convinced, I've seen nothing that says's he can't be successful... your thoughts?

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I was never as in love with Oden as much as some - simply for the fact he found ways to put himself on the bench in very big games for extended periods of time via foul trouble.

I think he's far from a flop at this point, however.

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
I was never as in love with Oden as much as some - simply for the fact he found ways to put himself on the bench in very big games for extended periods of time via foul trouble.

I think he's far from a flop at this point, however.

I appreciate this point, but do you think he can be productive with the right coaching? Why not?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Sure, I can't see why he couldn't be. The kid has massive talent - that much is obvious. Certainly needs more time to mature and refine his skills.

This coming from a guy that has far less knowledge about basketball than I do football. I do know he'd make a great tight end. :)

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
Sure, I can't see why he couldn't be. The kid has massive talent - that much is obvious. Certainly needs more time to mature and refine his skills.

This coming from a guy that has far less knowledge about basketball than I do football. I do know he'd make a great tight end. :)

Agreed, just noticed the last sentence of your previous post...:goofy:

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I see him playing a long time, being a career 12, 10, and 3 guy. Nothing great but a nice, productive career when it's all said and done.

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
I see him playing a long time, being a career 12, 10, and 3 guy. Nothing great but a nice, productive career when it's all said and done.

What puts him at a disadvantage with the rest of the league? I'm just not seeing anyone he can't compete with... I think he could be someone that a team could use as a foundation.... I too am a football guy btw, just sick of hearing my coworker and his diarrhea of the mouth:sad:

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Here's an excerpt from an article I was looking for concerning Oden:

Bulkier Oden puts in the work

Remember Greg Oden? The guy’s not just sitting around during his redshirt season. More than three months out from his Sept. 13 microfracture knee surgery, the 7-foot center says his weight is up to 290 – about 40 pounds more than he carried when he arrived in Portland last summer.

But don’t despair. It’s all good, says Bobby Medina, the Trail Blazers’ savvy strength and conditioning coach, who has overseen Oden’s rehabilitation work. Medina, in his 11th year in Portland after five years with Seattle, says Oden reminds him of a young Shawn Kemp or Jermaine O’Neal in terms of work ethic.
“Greg’s a monster in the weight room,” Medina says. “I’m not at all worried about his (weight). Once he gets into his cardio, running up and down, he’ll be fine – he’s an active guy.
“Right now is a tough time, because all he can do is ride a bike and do a little work in the water. But when he gets to the point where he can run, he’ll lose some weight and keep all the muscle and his tone.
“We don’t want him to be a football player. We want him to keep his athleticism, but he needs to be strong at that position.”
Oden gets that sheepish grin when asked how he’s doing.
“Right now, I’m just enjoying being big,” he says. (Don’t you just love this guy?)
“I’m the strongest I’ve ever been,” he adds. “I hope I can stay that way, but that I’ll be able to get my weight down after I’m able to start running again. Jay (Jensen, the Blazer trainer) says I can do that at four months, so I’m a few weeks away.”

Portland has some nice young talent in Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Martell Webster, and Travis Outlaw. The point guard position is nothing outstanding but it is serviceable. Oden will not have to shoulder the load for the Trailblazers. And if he does have the work ethic that he is purportedly to have, he'll be fine.

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
Here's an excerpt from an article I was looking for concerning Oden:

Bulkier Oden puts in the work

Remember Greg Oden? The guy’s not just sitting around during his redshirt season. More than three months out from his Sept. 13 microfracture knee surgery, the 7-foot center says his weight is up to 290 – about 40 pounds more than he carried when he arrived in Portland last summer.

But don’t despair. It’s all good, says Bobby Medina, the Trail Blazers’ savvy strength and conditioning coach, who has overseen Oden’s rehabilitation work. Medina, in his 11th year in Portland after five years with Seattle, says Oden reminds him of a young Shawn Kemp or Jermaine O’Neal in terms of work ethic.
“Greg’s a monster in the weight room,†Medina says. “I’m not at all worried about his (weight). Once he gets into his cardio, running up and down, he’ll be fine – he’s an active guy.
“Right now is a tough time, because all he can do is ride a bike and do a little work in the water. But when he gets to the point where he can run, he’ll lose some weight and keep all the muscle and his tone.
“We don’t want him to be a football player. We want him to keep his athleticism, but he needs to be strong at that position.â€
Oden gets that sheepish grin when asked how he’s doing.
“Right now, I’m just enjoying being big,†he says. (Don’t you just love this guy?)
“I’m the strongest I’ve ever been,†he adds. “I hope I can stay that way, but that I’ll be able to get my weight down after I’m able to start running again. Jay (Jensen, the Blazer trainer) says I can do that at four months, so I’m a few weeks away.â€

Portland has some nice young talent in Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Martell Webster, and Travis Outlaw. The point guard position is nothing outstanding but it is serviceable. Oden will not have to shoulder the load for the Trailblazers. And if he does have the work ethic that he is purportedly to have, he'll be fine.

Nice find, sounds like things are going well for the big guy...

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
wow, I wouldn't think that extra weight is going to be good for keeping his knees healthy. I honestly see him being the next Sam Bowie. Loads of potential/talent, just never healthy enough to put it to use. I do hope I'm wrong on that though, that Blazers team would be awesome to see with him healthy.