Zach Johnson

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
there were 12 original sponsors from Elmcrest in CR. it was figured that Zach would need $50,000 per yr total to cover travel, entry fees, etc. the sponsors then purchased "shares" of the $50k. this was all done in the years before Johnson qualified for the PGA tour. the sponsors made a profit each of the years, except one. they averaged their money back plus 17% each year. so they didn't make a ton back, but the point of doing it was to get him started on his way up the ladder. they did this for 5 years.
Thanks.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yes, we got that. You can only be loyal to one thing at a time.
LOL. I am loyal to ISU and Swarthmore, wait that is two. Going back to the original point, your claim that people should support him because he is an Iowan. I argue it is reasonable that his anti-ISU demeanor is enough of an externality to not support him.
Someone being from Iowa is pretty low on my criteria for garnering my loyalties, certainly lower than not being disrespectful/demeaning towards ISU. "Perhaps I should've put a 3 page disclaimer on that post so you could figure out what it really means."

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I live in Iowa but am not a huge fan of it. Maybe I'll root for anyone smart enought to not be in Iowa. :smile:

mwoodley13

Apr 20, 2006
LOL. I am loyal to ISU and Swarthmore, wait that is two. Going back to the original point, your claim that people should support him because he is an Iowan. I argue it is reasonable that his anti-ISU demeanor is enough of an externality to not support him.
Someone being from Iowa is pretty low on my criteria for garnering my loyalties, certainly lower than not being disrespectful/demeaning towards ISU. "Perhaps I should've put a 3 page disclaimer on that post so you could figure out what it really means."

Yes, perhaps you should have.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If you can not see he is a promoter of the "hawk" brand, then there is not much I can do for you. ISU is behind in the arms race of college athletics more so because of promotion off of the playing field, then the physical play on it. It is likely he does little direct monetary harm to ISU, and even if one chooses to ignore the externalities, it is certainly logical for an ISU fan to not support him based on his lack of respect for ISU. It is not that he is a hawk fan, it is the fact that he is a "tavern" hawk.
I do not support people based solely on their location of origin.

100% agree. Like it or not, we're in a competition with them. We compete for fans...fans that buy tickets and gear. In that regard, anything that helps them indirectly hurts ISU. That's why I root against Zach Johnson (not that he cares or should care). That's why I'll go to Phillips 66 over Kum&Go. That's why I'll go to Applebees (who sponsors the ISU coaches show) over Carlos O'Kelly's (who sponsors the KF show). If you don't support the people and businesses that support your side, then what good are they doing advertising?

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
100% agree. Like it or not, we're in a competition with them. We compete for fans...fans that buy tickets and gear. In that regard, anything that helps them indirectly hurts ISU. That's why I root against Zach Johnson (not that he cares or should care). That's why I'll go to Phillips 66 over Kum&Go. That's why I'll go to Applebees (who sponsors the ISU coaches show) over Carlos O'Kelly's (who sponsors the KF show). If you don't support the people and businesses that support your side, then what good are they doing advertising?
It seems like some cannot understand that this mind-set is healthy for said institution/team/company etc. Having fanatical support, lets call them fans, is the reason why certain teams go to good bowls, and others get passed over.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Exactly when did Zach Johnson whizz on the the I-State logo, or whatever it is he purportedly did that was so offensive to ISU?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
He shot a final round 70 to get to a playoff, on a course that gives up a ton of birdies - more "lucky" than "clutch."
The leader choked...

Well if your really wanting to know, I was talking about his approach on the playoff hole, not the round. And did you watch saturdays round, Zach shot a 60. Not to bad of round I guess to get him in contention and set up a good sunday.

mwoodley13

Apr 20, 2006

The Phillips 66 and Applebees examples makes sense. So, when you come up with an ISU golfer for me to support over Zach Johnson, I will go ahead and do that. Until then the argument doesn't hold water. Zach Johnson isn't going to gain any more money for the University of Iowa, and he's not going to convert any extra Hawkeye fans just because Cyclone fans, and more importantly, fellow Iowans who give a damn about good national publicity for this state, decide to give him a little support.

You've made your choice, and that's fine. More power to you. As for me, I really became a Cyclone fan about 27 years ago when I was 5, but I've been a proud Iowan longer.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Thank you everyone for the congratulations!! I'm glad I could pull it out for you guys!! I will see you guys in two weeks at The Memorial.