MLB: Zambrano to the Fish

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
$15 mil might be steep but its just 1 year and consider how they have eaten contracts in the past of Bradley and Silva and a good chunk of Fukudome's last year too. Sometimes part of the price to get rid of a guy in order to get something of potential value back is to eat some salary. I would not be shocked if they find a way to trade Soriano to the AL and eat a lot of his contract too.

The rumors that concern me the most are the ones around Garza. It sounds like Theo wants to get as much value as he can for him and that at the very latest he'll be gone by the trade deadline in July. He's the best starter on the staff right now so if he goes I sure hope they get a boatload of prospects back considering Hendry did the same in order to acquire him.

This.

Theo seems to be trying to create as much value as he can, so in light of that, getting rid of Garza may make sense if you can get 4 or 5 players in return. It's rumor at this point anyway.

Looks to me like we'll have a bunch of no names next year, but hey we had a bunch of names that didn't produce this year, so what's the difference?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This.

Theo seems to be trying to create as much value as he can, so in light of that, getting rid of Garza may make sense if you can get 4 or 5 players in return. It's rumor at this point anyway.

Looks to me like we'll have a bunch of no names next year, but hey we had a bunch of names that didn't produce this year, so what's the difference?

If the rumors I'm reading are true, any team wanting Garza is going to have to give up 3 A-list prospects. That's a really steep price but one I agree with. There aren't exactly a ton of options left in the S.P. market and the Cubs hold pretty much the last valuable piece available.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's not talking about Kerry Wood.

Travis Wood Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos - Chicago Cubs - ESPN

I doubt Cashner will have any starts this year if for nothing else to limit his innings. If he can stay healthy this year then maybe next year he can try making the rotation again.

Exactly, Kerry isn't even signed yet. I agree that Cashner is in the pen for now. I think Marmol may get dealt and K Wood closes with Cashner closing some to limit KWs innings. My guess is they have Wood on hold to see if they can deal Marmol.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I was wondering about the Wood comment. Forgot about Travis Wood.

IMO Cashner deserves a shot to start. He was doing very well last year prior to injury. I like Garza and I think we will probably keep him unless someone is going for broke this year and wants to win immediately. Either way I am fine with it.

Now, if only we could unload Soriano we could really get excited about a new brand of BB. Watching his inability to play D is no fun. He used to throw people out at least, now it's just keystone capers out there in left.

I am interested to see what they do with LaHair and if he will get a shot. Also, we have to stop hearing about Jackson/Vitters and start seeing them at the big league level this year.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
He used to throw people out at least, now it's just keystone capers out there in left.

He still throws people out. That's about all he does, but he does do it.

Of 67 qualifying outfielders, he was tied for 26th in outfield assists (tied with Byrd for team lead), 66th in fielding percentage (barely ahead of Justin Upton), and 66th in range factor (ahead of Tony Gwynn Jr and just behind Lance Berkman).

Last edited:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
they didn't pay 15 million to get him. they were already on the hook for 18 million to Z, so by getting him they saved 3 million.

They could've straight up released Zambrano and probably only had to pay half his contract once the lawyers got done settling everything. I'm not deriding the move, clearly something needed to be done, but the Marlins got the best of this. Ozzie is crazy enough to manage Big Z, and won't put up with his ****.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I doubt this. The players union would never let his contract not get paid out.

With his conduct over the last couple of years I'm sure they could take him to court and win at least some of that money back. The guy has been an absolute cancer and subversive to the team. Either way, glad to see that psychopath out of chicago, although it was always nice to see him freak out after getting shelled by the White Sox during interleague.