MLB: Zambrano to the Fish

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i continue to like what theo is doing. volstad has the potential to be a solid 4/5 type starter and is cheap. rotation is kind of interesting this year (assuming garza sticks)

Garza
Dempster
Wood
Volstad
Wells

4 guys there with something to prove but its better that Zambrano, coleman, lopez, ortiz, etc making starts last year

personal opinion, Garza will either get moved for an absurdly high return, or sign an extension. if he signs an extension i could see dempster getting traded and theo bringin in maholm type to fill out the rotation

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
i continue to like what theo is doing. volstad has the potential to be a solid 4/5 type starter and is cheap. rotation is kind of interesting this year (assuming garza sticks)

Looks like they're pickinig up a lot of young pitchers who have had subpar years but have potential. Looks to me like a shot gun approach and hopefully 1 or 2 of them turn into something good.

Big Z had worn out his welcome and will miss the arm, but not the attitude. He and Ozzie are made for each other.

They will have so many new faces in the line up next year, I'm going to need a program to know who's up. Will it mean a better season? Probably not, but I think we'll see some hustle in players which has been lacking for quite a while.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Garza
Dempster
Wood
Volstad
Wells

4 guys there with something to prove but its better that Zambrano, coleman, lopez, ortiz, etc making starts last year

personal opinion, Garza will either get moved for an absurdly high return, or sign an extension. if he signs an extension i could see dempster getting traded and theo bringin in maholm type to fill out the rotation

The Cubs just agreed to pay 15 million in order to get him, I wouldn't consider that cheap. Worth it to get rid of big z, but still not cheap.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good riddance. 15 mil is damn steep, but just think of it as addition by subtraction. He's Ozzie's problem now.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'll take it. Keep shedding those contracts...

But they didn't shed that contract...they are paying almost all of it. In my opinion this is a no lose situation for the Marlins. If Z doesn't change his behavior they send him home while the Cubs continue to pay him. Definitely worth the risk on the part of the Marlins.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
Looks like they're pickinig up a lot of young pitchers who have had subpar years but have potential. Looks to me like a shot gun approach and hopefully 1 or 2 of them turn into something good.

Big Z had worn out his welcome and will miss the arm, but not the attitude. He and Ozzie are made for each other.

They will have so many new faces in the line up next year, I'm going to need a program to know who's up. Will it mean a better season? Probably not, but I think we'll see some hustle in players which has been lacking for quite a while.

Mebbe. Mebbe not. could be they end up squaring off in the dugout by the end of April. Over/under, anyone?

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

Garza
Dempster
Wood
Volstad

Wells

Going to be a long year if your 3 and 4 are Wood and Volstad.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
15 mil is a lot when we get not much of a starter in return. Just shows how big of a POS Z is.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008

Garza
Dempster
Wood
Volstad
Wells

No way in hell that Wood starts. Hopefully we can insert Cashner into the rotation and count on him for more than a few innings this year.

Edit: Sorry, I had the wrong Wood.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
$15 mil might be steep but its just 1 year and consider how they have eaten contracts in the past of Bradley and Silva and a good chunk of Fukudome's last year too. Sometimes part of the price to get rid of a guy in order to get something of potential value back is to eat some salary. I would not be shocked if they find a way to trade Soriano to the AL and eat a lot of his contract too.

The rumors that concern me the most are the ones around Garza. It sounds like Theo wants to get as much value as he can for him and that at the very latest he'll be gone by the trade deadline in July. He's the best starter on the staff right now so if he goes I sure hope they get a boatload of prospects back considering Hendry did the same in order to acquire him.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
The Cubs just agreed to pay 15 million in order to get him, I wouldn't consider that cheap. Worth it to get rid of big z, but still not cheap.
they didn't pay 15 million to get him. they were already on the hook for 18 million to Z, so by getting him they saved 3 million.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No way in hell that Wood starts. Hopefully we can insert Cashner into the rotation and count on him for more than a few innings this year.

Of course Wood is going to start, they didn't trade Marshall just to get another bullpen arm.

Also I fully expect to see Zambrano go something like 20-6 with a 2.85 ERA next season with at least one shutout of the Cubs.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona