Zeb Noland transferring

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I have no info but the guy worked his tail off all his life to PLAY QB and now he might feel like he's looking at a 4-year Seneca Wallace in front of him. I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to go somewhere to play.

Don't blame him for wanting to transfer, but why not after the season is over so he can still help the team in case of injury, in addition to getting more practice/coaching to improve his own skills? With our history of QB injuries, who knows if the team may have needed him again, particularly as much punishment as Purdy is taking in the pocket as well as when running?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If he has been passed up by 3 guys in the depth chart, then it is understandable that he is leaving right away. I sincerely wish him the best. He seems like a good guy with some misfit skills that won't succeed here . What is irritating is that we have no offensive coordinator, poor special teams coaching, poor OL coaching, on going recruiting, freshmen players to train, injuries, playbook development, etc.. and Campbell is going to take time out from all this to help a guy who quit the team midseason to look for another place to play.

Make no mistake, Matt Campbell is not spending a bunch of time on Zeb. Some staffer somewhere may answer some questions but this is not taking his attention away.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
CMC will respect the young man and not say much publicly no matter how he feels about the decision. Lest we forget about CMC 's decision to transfer from Pitt. Though, for quite different reasons if I recall correctly. Stay focused on the task at hand.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Make no mistake, Matt Campbell is not spending a bunch of time on Zeb. Some staffer somewhere may answer some questions but this is not taking his attention away.

I assume there's a standard letter "from" Campbell that an admin assistant wrote and the coach will sign later on. That's a few seconds of time that could do something else, I suppose.

Reactions: aauummm

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I hope he gets a shot somewhere else if that is what he wants. Whether he stays or goes, I will be rooting for the kid.
I find CMC's comments interesting about good he feels about the QB position depth with or without Zeb. I know he has to say that probably, but I sure don't feel very good about it without Zeb.

Add to that, CMC also has no problem with Purdy's aggressive play either.

So we have Purdy, who is taking a tremendous amount of big hits with how he plays, sitting at #1.

At #2 we have Kempt who didn't look good in his limited time against Iowa, coming off of injury and was in a boot 2 weeks ago in street clothes against WV, and hasn't played now for quite a while.

At #3 we probably have Mitchell who has never played a single down of college football. He's more of a runner than passer too.

At #4 is likely Devon Moore. Complete unknown.

I'm sorry coach, but without Zeb, we could be in trouble the remainder of this season with any injuries.

If this is true, would we now look to add another QB to next year's class? We have Easton Dean coming in next year, and Bouman the following year.

CloneDude gonna clone dude.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Good luck to Zeb where ever he ends up. Thought he might stay on the team till Dec. but this way he can get a new school lined up transfer at the semester and start practicing with his new team. Can't fault him for that.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Dumb mtown question time...

How do coaches get third-stringers to stay anywhere? Based on some people in this thread anyone not starting or in the two-deep behind a senior should transfer out.

Reactions: JBone84

Rockymtcy

Oct 2, 2018

How do coaches get third-stringers to stay anywhere? Based on some people in this thread anyone not starting or in the two-deep behind a senior should transfer out.
In most cases the third stringer is not someone who has started games the past 2 seasons, its someone younger than then starter working his way up. Its got to be tough going from the man to the man behind the man to the man.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Don't blame him for wanting to transfer, but why not after the season is over so he can still help the team in case of injury, in addition to getting more practice/coaching to improve his own skills? With our history of QB injuries, who knows if the team may have needed him again, particularly as much punishment as Purdy is taking in the pocket as well as when running?
Yeah, that seems reasonable to me, as well. I don't know what all the factors are.

I hope he lands on his feet and gets some PT somewhere.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I will never blame a kid for transferring. I feel alot better about these situations knowing what kind of person we have running our program. He's not the type to promise a kid everything under the sun to get a commitment. I'm sure Zeb, like everyone else, knew that all he's promised is a fair shot.

I don't quite understand what he gains by leaving now. May as well stick this year out and see what happens. It's not like he'd have any opportunity anywhere else this year. I wish he would stay, see what happens, contribute if need be, and then clear his head in the offseason when everyone has the time and energy to have a full conversation on his future. But I suppose if he has one foot out the door already it may be best from the team's perspective to let him move on.
I pretty much agree with you. I was very disappointed in his decision to leave now. Upon reflection, from his perspective, I suspect he wants to transfer at semester and play spring ball at his new home. Probably means he needs to be focused on finding that place. Maybe it’s best he moves on. I have no ill will, hope he does well. As a 49 year cyclone game attender, I have seen us play entire seasons with worse QB’s than Zeb. He is pretty good, IMO. I think he will do well.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Some players are content with just being a part of a team and getting a free education, with less higher ambitions of making a life out of football.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Zeb's a guy that has enough skill to start at a lot of schools, but Kempt last year and Purdy this year (and likely for a couple more) just happen to have the skill set ISU needs to succeed with the team that they have.

If our offensive line was dominant, I think Zeb might have had a shot here, but we need someone with more mobility, and Purdy has that.

Good luck to Zeb wherever he lands. I think he can succeed as a starter somewhere.