Zeb Noland

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I have a crazy case of dejavu here. I'm too tired right now, but I'd like to go back and find all the threads just like this after all of our QBs first games. I'm sure I've read this same thing going all the way back to Tiller.
Tiller? Your judgement is as bad as the refs.

There are two first-game comparisons, Kempt and Sam. Kempt played very well, but clearly lacked the arm strength and because of that most knew it wasn’t sustainable. Sam was a good talent that was ruined by the previous staff.

Get any of our QBs an Oline for DM to run behind, and they’ll be good.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Zeb last year during the scrimmage before he got hurt as a true frosh was very good throwing the football..Kid has a ton of upside..Good Height and a heckavu arm. I’m sorry but that last play was on staff IMO...You put lazard and butler on the outside routes not Murdoch..

Man if this team had a little better OL with depth this team would win the big 12..I have no doubt.

Another year for those RS frosh OL along with Meeker, Foster, JGJ, Knipfle and we should at the very least have a middle of pack OL in conference running the ball and that is all this team needs to contend for the Conference title next year..

Also..Next year there is no Rudolph, Mayfield, Hill, Grier, Shimonek, etc...

We have literally had to face 3 NFL QB’s in the last 3 weeks alone..

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Kempt seems like a little better option in some situations ... like a short field, say, between the 15 and the 3 going in. Lanning inside the 3. Who knows, maybe a 3 QB strategy in the last 2 games? Like another said, not really a "controversy" when you're playing backups anyhow.

Of course, depending on Kempt's shoulder, this may not even be a discussion.

• Friendly
Reactions: dirtyninety

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Kempt seems like a little better option in some situations ... like a short field, say, between the 15 and the 3 going in. Lanning inside the 3. Who knows, maybe a 3 QB strategy in the last 2 games? Like another said, not really a "controversy" when you're playing backups anyhow.

Of course, depending on Kempt's shoulder, this may not even be a discussion.

We are kind of through the rough stretch now and so long as someone isn't making a ton of mistakes I don't think QB will be the difference between winning and losing the last two but the difference in the offense today was astounding. We can now push the ball down the field and we can use the whole field. It had become obvious that KK wasn't able to do that on a consistent basis. It's also obvious Zeb has some growth to make. On the sack on 3rd down, he had an easy throw for the first. On the INT, he had a pretty easy throw to the middle for a TD. He's young and this is expected but things won't be perfect. I do like the dimension he adds, though.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Moore is out with an injury. The next backup would be Starchovic.

If it came to it Lanning would play QB and Sutton would be playing LB.
Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, as Noland getting reps is a good thing.

But if Lanning needed to go full time QB, Sutton is ready imo. He’s not as good as Lanning, but they make the same mistakes imo.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Does anyone think the Kempt thing is odd? He leads us to two TDs, then goes 3 and out a few times. It's then discovered his arm isn't right after no apparent hit? And then he doesn't even dress for the second half. After the game Campbell doesn't seem to know if it's his arm, elbow, or shoulder? It just seems kinda odd that we don't have any clarity. I'm on the Zeb train though. Get him readied up for next year.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
As much as I appreciate what Kempt has done, just imagine if Zeb starts the rest of the season. Thanks to our bowl eligibility, he would essentially get 6 or 7 weeks of first team reps in practice, plus the three games. That will pay huge dividends for next season.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Does anyone think the Kempt thing is odd? He leads us to two TDs, then goes 3 and out a few times. It's then discovered his arm isn't right after no apparent hit? And then he doesn't even dress for the second half. After the game Campbell doesn't seem to know if it's his arm, elbow, or shoulder? It just seems kinda odd that we don't have any clarity. I'm on the Zeb train though. Get him readied up for next year.
I thought maybe it was a cover for benching him on senior day. Was at the game so don’t really know but thought that was possible.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I thought maybe it was a cover for benching him on senior day. Was at the game so don’t really know but thought that was possible.

That's what I thought too but they wouldn't have made him come out in the second half without pads, so he has to have some sort of injury. It looked like he had a bloody nose when they pulled him out. I thought maybe he got hit in the head but then after the game found out it was his arm. Just kinda odd.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

After his last incompletion, which was a really bad duck across the middle, Kempt came off the field clearly favoring his right arm. I'd say the adrenaline let him get through those first couple of series, but whether it was his shoulder or elbow, it tightened up on him in the cold.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If Kempt can't go anymore, it's gotta be Zeb starting with Lanning as backup IMO.

Sure you don't want lose Lanning at MLB, but if something were to happen to Zeb, you can't go with Starcevich. QB is still by far the most important position on the field.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
After his last incompletion, which was a really bad duck across the middle, Kempt came off the field clearly favoring his right arm. I'd say the adrenaline let him get through those first couple of series, but whether it was his shoulder or elbow, it tightened up on him in the cold.

Yeah, he was clearly banged up. I think he was hurt anc then got hurt more during the game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron