Zeppelin or The Beatles?

• Led Zeppelin

Votes: 121 57.6%
  • The Beatles

Votes: 89 42.4%

• Total voters

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Tough call. I love em both, probably the two best bands ever... but I gotta go with Zeppelin for the win!

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
No comparable in my book. Two totally different bands. Zeppelin were probably better musicians, but they wouldn't have even made it without The Beatles paving the way for rock to become truly mainstream.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Nickelback.

57278eeeefd2ada24356df57142282d8.jpg

That's gold Jerry...

I went to my official scorecard (iTunes) and found the following:

Led Zeppelin~40 Songs
Beatles-0 songs (although I do like a few and actually like the music by the individual artists after they broke up)
Nickelback-0

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Apples and Oranges. Zeppelin were better musicians, had better live shows, improvised better, and played with more moxie and energy than the Beatles ever could. But the Beatles were far better songwriters, revolutionized popular music in a few short years, were undeniably original, and are arguably the single most influential act in history.

Depending on which measures you choose, either is better. Choosing those measures is an inherently subjective exercise, so there's no way to definitively say who is "better".

You are four for four wrong on the bolded. And Zep is great. I have seen both bands BTW.

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
I used to be like a lot of you in thinking the Beatles weren't really as great as the credit they got. It was all about punk rock for me. Then one day something clicked, it may have been when I heard A Day in the Life or Hapiness is a Warm Gun or something along those lines. I am now a huge Beatles fan and have been for about 20 years.

I'm just guessing but I think those of you who say you hate the Beatles haven't really gotten too far into their catalog. It is outstanding and may be just a little better than Led Zep. (Who I also love).

Pick up the White Album and shut up.

Reactions: WalkingCY

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
Before I really listened to The Beatles' albums, I would have said Zeppelin...but once I heard the entirety of Abbey Road, Zeppelin seemed so hollow. Both great bands, but the Beatles get the nod. I think too many people classify them by their early work (which was good)....but give me Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road any day over Zep I, II, III, or IV

This x100.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
zep4isufan said:
Justin Bieber = ****** music but popular with young girls = child star that people with taste hate

The Jonas Brothers = see above

The Beatles = Great music + popular with young girls = GREATEST ******* BAND ON THE PLANET

Are you really grouping the Beatles, the Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber in the same group? I'm sorry but that's just plain ridiculous.

zepfan4isu

Oct 7, 2009
Ames
Are you really grouping the Beatles, the Jonas Brothers, and Justin Bieber in the same group? I'm sorry but that's just plain ridiculous.

Whoa. You got me all wrong. The Jonas Brothers and Bieber suck. I'm just saying that they fact that they make terrible music and are still popular make it easy to see why the Beatles are considered demi-gods. The Beatles are probably my second favorite band I was just questioning how much of their popularity back in the day would still remain if women considered them ugly.

zepfan4isu

Oct 7, 2009
Ames
Consider yourself corrected. Anyone born in 1992 could no more understand a world pre-Beatles than you could a world without the internet. Imagine a world where there was absolutely NO cred given to music other than classical, swing, jazz and some pop (Sinatra, etc). Then imagine 7 years later Rock and Roll is world wide considered a legitimate field of art/expression. No, the Beatles didn't do it all alone but they were far and away the most influential artists of the second half of the 20th century. Virtually every group with a guitar, bass, and drums built on their influences.

Now they WEREN'T fantastic musicians, technically. I can definitely concede that.

Looking back it is difficult to tell whether or not The Beatles lead the musical movement back in the 60's or whether they were just the most popular band in the movement. So I will have to take your word for it. But I would think that rock 'n' roll would have been given some credit with Elvis and a few other acts before The Beatles. Maybe not very much though. Another thing to consider is that things become more acceptable over time. If The Beatles did their thing before any other rock 'n' roll bands paved the way, would they have been accepted? Hard to tell IMO.

Going by influence I would easily give it to The Beatles, I just think they are given a little too much credit in that department that should go to other bands of the era and before the era.

I would also give The Beatles the edge in studio music although not by much. Although The Beatles did have some head-scratchers like revolution 9.

Live shows and Albums: Led Zeppelin by a mile. Although it may not be a fair because of the technology difference made it much more difficult to create live music and record it for the Beatles than Led Zeppelin.

Songs: The Beatles wrote great songs and great lyrics, Led Zeppelin wrote and stole some great music and great lyrics. Advantage Beatles.

Musicians: Led Zeppelin were easily better musicians.

Overall: The Beatles were probably the better band over all based on the fact that had the Beatles not paved the way Led Zeppelin probably wouldn't have been accepted at all. That said I like Led Zeppelin much better. If the OP was asking about which you like better or which band was better I would probably have different answers.

(BTW nice car. I have a dark blue 66 mustang coupe. I feel really dumb asking this as I don't know much about old cars beside my own, but is that a mustang? It looks a lot like my car from the side, but the picture is kind of far away and I'm not really good at telling different models apart.)

Krug

Sep 4, 2010
Ankeny
Joke thread?

Zeppelin Stole songs! I can post about a million examples. Its very well known that Zeppelin stole songs and didnt credit other artists. They have even had legel battles and lost because of this. Here is just a little taste.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiY4ciKFQA]Led Zeppelin Examples of Plagiarism - YouTube[/ame]

Beatles all the way!

Edit: Just to be clear the Beatles also covered songs but they gave credit.

Last edited:

Krug

Sep 4, 2010
Ankeny
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AhPZx7AedE]Howard Stern interview the truth behind Led Zeppelin Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdr8PtUPIPo&feature=related]Howard Stern interview The Truth Behind Led Zeppelin Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Not sure where part 3 is but this is pretty shocking stuff

hoelsch44

Oct 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Taken from allmusic.com. In giving beatles credit for defining pop/rock, the same credit is due Led for defining heavy metal and album rock.

" Led Zeppelin was the definitive heavy metal band. It wasn't just their crushingly loud interpretation of the blues -- it was how they incorporated mythology, mysticism, and a variety of other genres (most notably world music and British folk) -- into their sound. Led Zeppelin had mystique. They rarely gave interviews, since the music press detested the band. Consequently, the only connection the audience had with the band was through the records and the concerts. More than any other band, Led Zeppelin established the concept of album-oriented rock, refusing to release popular songs from their albums as singles. In doing so, they established the dominant format for heavy metal, as well as the genre's actual sound. "

And yes, they did steal other's music. But what band doesn't? Their crime is in not giving appropriate credit, agree. But now that it is known to all that Robert Johnson wrote a lot of their 1st album, it has sent a lot of people to check him out too.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Joke thread?

Zeppelin Stole songs!

This is silly imo. Yeah, it's suckerish not to give credit to the people they borrowed from but they weren't covering Robert Johnson in a classical sense. They transcended the blues. It's said that talent hits a target others can't hit and genius hits a target others can't see. Well, I'd submit that LZ's I Can't Quit You Baby is talent but Dazed and Confused it full out genius.

In the same way that Bob Dylan stated All Along the Watchtower was "always his", referring to Jimi Hendrix cover of the song I believe that Zeppelin's versions of the stuff they lifted were always theirs. It was nothing like Robert Johnson doing Willie Dixon. LZ's stuff is literally something else.

You can't hear tunes like Immigrant Song or Achilles Last Stand or No Quarter and not recognize that LZ was really going beyond.

Finally, comparisons of the Beatles and Led Zeppelin really don't compute. It's apples and oranges.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
As long as we're using arbitrary arguments to support a group, I'll say Zep. As far as I know, Dolly Parton never covered the Beatles, and no one adapted the lyrics to Gilligan's Island into a Beatles song.

Recommend someone start a thread: Adriana Lima or Sofia Vergara. Same results, better visuals.

RustyClone

Dec 16, 2008
Hockenheim
There is only one group known as "The Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World." That is the Rolling Stones. That said you can't deny the fact that the Beatles (and Elvis) paved the way, they opened the door and the Stones and LZ (and others like the Who) tore it off the hinges. I would have liked to see the direction of the Beatles with more writing influence from Lennon and Harrison as it is my opinion that these were the two rock stars of the band. As great as he is/was, Paul leaned too much to the pop side of things, I think.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I was born when LZ was wrapping up and Beatles were already broke up.......I enjoy both, but I did have a live concert of LZ blasting in car today driving home. I can listen to zeppelin every day