Votes: 89 42.4%

• Total voters

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I honestly think a lot of the people who are so big into Zeppelin haven't actually listened to many/any of their albums from front-to-back. Sure, I love IV and Houses of the Holy as much as the next guy, but their late 70s material (from Physical Graffiti onwards, which is Exhibit A of wretched double-album excess) is just awful. "The Fool in the Rain" makes me want to tear my ears off with that repeating eight-note phrase, and In Through the Out Door is just awful.

Even their classic albums have a few bum tracks on them ("Four Sticks," "The Crunge," etc.) to go with the good stuff. For that matter, too, Zeppelin has this massive problem of basically playing the same hard-banging rock all the way through their career save a few misguided attempts to play folk (they weren't very good at it) before going synth-crazy at the end. Plant's voice degrades badly after the first few albums, too. They had some high highs, they were were extremely inconsistent, hardly groundbreaking, and, to me, outshone by some other contemporaries in terms of rocking hard and in interesting ways (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, particularly the former, who managed to rock just as hard without being overblown or Satanic while they were doing it).

112269_slide.jpg

The Beatles, on the other hand, are the best and most influential rock band in history, invented the idea of pop music as art and studio production, and have at least five classic albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, The Beatles, Abbey Road), and, probably at least a few more that are just as up there and good from their early period. Each one of those albums is a completely different style (folk rock to acid rock to psychedelia to "rock") yet still sounds like them. Come on Cyclone Fanatic, you know the Beatles are better, why are you doing this?

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Beatles - Prolific, trailblazers, many songs considered among the best of all time. In the 60's there was a period of time were they were my favorite band.

Zepplin - Recorded one of the greatest songs of all time and had a few great albums. In the early 70's they were one of my favorite bands.

Loved them both at different times. They are really of different eras. But by nearly any measure, it's the Beatles and its not even close. In Rolling Stone's 500 greatest songs of all time, Stairway to Heaven comes in at 31. The Beatles have a 7 ahead of it, plus another one that Lennon recorded solo after the band broke up. I don't totally agree with their rankings, but still the sheer number of Beatles contributions to that list is impressive.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If we're talking strictly legendary songs — Let’s do a tournament.

Seedings are based on Rolling Stone best-of lists for each group, ca. 2011-ish.
RS ranking is like the RPI of music analysis. :smile:

Beatles Region
Jimmy Paige pod
  • 1. A Day in the Life
  • 16. Over the Hills and Far Away
  • 8. When the Levee Breaks
  • 9. Come Together
Ringo Starr pod
  • 5. In My Life
  • 12. Communication Breakdown
  • 4. Kashmir
  • 13. Revolution
John Paul Jones pod
  • ​​6. Good Times Bad Times
  • 11. A Hard Day’s Night
  • 3. Strawberry Fields Forever
  • 14. The Ocean
Paul McCartney pod
  • 7. Something
  • 10. Misty Mountain Hop
  • 2. Stairway to Heaven
  • 15. Help!
Led-Zep Region
John Lennon pod
  • 1. Whole Lotta Love
  • 16. I Saw Her Standing There
  • 8. Let it Be
  • 9. Rock and Roll
John Bonham pod
  • 5. Ramble On
  • 12. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
  • 4. Yesterday
  • 13. Dazed and Confused
​George Harrison pod
  • ​​6. Hey Jude
  • 11. Going to California
  • 3. Black Dog
  • 14. She Loves You
Robert Plant pod
  • 7. Immigrant Song
  • 10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  • 2. I Want to Hold Your Hand
  • 15. What Is and What Should Never Be

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This is a tough one, but my decision was made by the total impact of their work. I love both bands, but in the end, the Beatles have had the greatest impact in music and on me in particular.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If we're talking strictly legendary songs — Let’s do a tournament.

Seedings are based on Rolling Stone best-of lists for each group, ca. 2011-ish.
RS ranking is like the RPI of music analysis. :smile:

Beatles Region
Jimmy Paige pod
  • 1. A Day in the Life
  • 16. Over the Hills and Far Away
  • 8. When the Levee Breaks
  • 9. Come Together
Ringo Starr pod
  • 5. In My Life
  • 12. Communication Breakdown
  • 4. Kashmir
  • 13. Revolution
John Paul Jones pod
  • ​​6. Good Times Bad Times
  • 11. A Hard Day’s Night
  • 3. Strawberry Fields Forever
  • 14. The Ocean
Paul McCartney pod
  • 7. Something
  • 10. Misty Mountain Hop
  • 2. Stairway to Heaven
  • 15. Help!
Led-Zep Region
John Lennon pod
  • 1. Whole Lotta Love
  • 16. I Saw Her Standing There
  • 8. Let it Be
  • 9. Rock and Roll
John Bonham pod
  • 5. Ramble On
  • 12. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
  • 4. Yesterday
  • 13. Dazed and Confused
​George Harrison pod
  • ​​6. Hey Jude
  • 11. Going to California
  • 3. Black Dog
  • 14. She Loves You
Robert Plant pod
  • 7. Immigrant Song
  • 10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  • 2. I Want to Hold Your Hand
  • 15. What Is and What Should Never Be

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is only a 10 seed?? Is the seeding being done by the NCAA Tournament Committee??

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I honestly think a lot of the people who are so big into Zeppelin haven't actually listened to many/any of their albums from front-to-back. Sure, I love IV and Houses of the Holy as much as the next guy, but their late 70s material (from Physical Graffiti onwards, which is Exhibit A of wretched double-album excess) is just awful. "The Fool in the Rain" makes me want to tear my ears off with that repeating eight-note phrase, and In Through the Out Door is just awful.

Even their classic albums have a few bum tracks on them ("Four Sticks," "The Crunge," etc.) to go with the good stuff. For that matter, too, Zeppelin has this massive problem of basically playing the same hard-banging rock all the way through their career save a few misguided attempts to play folk (they weren't very good at it) before going synth-crazy at the end. Plant's voice degrades badly after the first few albums, too. They had some high highs, they were were extremely inconsistent, hardly groundbreaking, and, to me, outshone by some other contemporaries in terms of rocking hard and in interesting ways (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, particularly the former, who managed to rock just as hard without being overblown or Satanic while they were doing it).

View attachment 26163

The Beatles, on the other hand, are the best and most influential rock band in history, invented the idea of pop music as art and studio production, and have at least five classic albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, The Beatles, Abbey Road), and, probably at least a few more that are just as up there and good from their early period. Each one of those albums is a completely different style (folk rock to acid rock to psychedelia to "rock") yet still sounds like them. Come on Cyclone Fanatic, you know the Beatles are better, why are you doing this?

You are clueless and this is the most clueless post ever.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Rolling Stones are the Nickelback of the 70's.
I don't like Beatles songs but appreciate what they did for music general.
Zeppelin rules

Tell me you're trolling here.

I'll take Zep over the Beatles all day every day, but I don't deny the Beatles influence and importance. I just like Led Zeppelin a hell of a lot more.

The Stones are The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World, however.