Zevs Cosmos Shirts

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Campustown in the mid-80's was a pretty awesome place!

Cave Inn, Library, DoBiz, Cy's Roost, Don's Deli, Pizza Pit, Dark Star (plus some other arcade on Lincolnway, just a little west of campustown?) plus two theaters. Great place to hang out.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Cave Inn, Library, DoBiz, Cy's Roost, Don's Deli, Pizza Pit, Dark Star (plus some other arcade on Lincolnway, just a little west of campustown?) plus two theaters. Great place to hang out.

Spaceport was the other one in Campustown and the one west of Campustown was Zap.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The last time I saw Zevs was on the NBC Nightly News, in 1990 or 1992 or something, near the end of the George H.W. Bush administration -- the time someone jumped the fence and tried to get into the White House.

They talked to Zevs, who was an eyewitness, standing nearby at the time.

Bet that was interesting.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
Was at ISU from 77 to 79 in grad school. Must have missed Zev's there. Was on a fshing trip on the Piedra River east of Durango, Colorado sometime in the early eighties (probably summer of 84). My two friends and I had hiked into a canyon that doesn't see many fishermen when we encountered two poor lads (of the hippie variety) that were lost and really scared. They had hiked looking for a hot springs and had gotten lost. We knew the area and after giving them some food we had, led them back to their camp which was only about a mile upstream.
They were part of a Rainbow Gathering and there were hundreds of people at the campsite. We hung for awhile. The grateful pair showed us around. Couldn't help but notice that quite a few of the girls were nude. Some of the better scenery I've been lucky enough to see (and I've been to beaches in Croatia). One the the fellows we were introduced to was one Zevs Cosmos whose outfit consisted of a rawhide strip around his neck which supported a cardboard sign that hung on his back. It simply said : "Have a happy naked day". He seemed to be quite a sharp guy and was really put together. Could have been a wrestler at about 185. All in all probably one of the strangest days I have spent on this earth.
I'm going to check ebay for Zevs Cosmos t shirts.

WOW

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Zev was a classic

Never could figure out why Zevs settled in Ames. If I'm starting a Nudist Christians Church, it would definitely been in a warmer climate.

My favorite Zevs encounter was coming back fom the bars around dead week during fall semester and behold Zevs is holding up a Nudist Christian Christmas tree. The dude plucked off every single pine needle from the tree:)

Also loved his version of entering the US by crossing the Canadian border into Nebraska. Must have been one hell of a trip!

D

Deleted member 8507

Re: Zev was a classic

I used to have some interesting conversations with Zevs. One I remember is talking about his church service (never went) and he said his "communion" was Wild Turkey. Could have been an experience to actually go but never had the guts (or desire really).

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Spaceport was the other one in Campustown and the one west of Campustown was Zap.

I remember Zap. There was one of those out in the south end of North Grand Mall too toward Sears. But Spaceport? When and where was that? Was Dark Star the former Spaceport or something? Having grown up in the area and then to ISU for school I was in Ames through most of my "formative years", but sure don't remember Spaceport.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I remember Zap. There was one of those out in the south end of North Grand Mall too toward Sears. But Spaceport? When and where was that? Was Dark Star the former Spaceport or something? Having grown up in the area and then to ISU for school I was in Ames through most of my "formative years", but sure don't remember Spaceport.

I agree, I remember Dark Star and Zap, but not Spaceport?

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Re: Zev was a classic

I used to have some interesting conversations with Zevs. One I remember is talking about his church service (never went) and he said his "communion" was Wild Turkey. Could have been an experience to actually go but never had the guts (or desire really).

I always wondered if his church had an "observation balcony"?

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
Hadn't seen this thread in a while!! For all the people that never got to experience Zevs, he would stand around the corner where the clock tower is now, and hold court on weekend nights. Spent countless hours listening to Zevs recount his views with anywhere from 2 - 50 people circling him. He'd debate anything anyone wanted to debate, and it was a sad day for campustown when it was determined that Zevs had violated his visa and was being deported. Of course, it didn't last long since the border was a little more lax back then and he was right back on his corner again.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006

Do you remember when Thumbs Up was on Welch (It was my first FAC/passing out in my dorm room)? Spaceport (or Space Port) was in the building north of Thumbs Up. I went there if I wanted to play pinball.

I remember walking into Space Port at 3:30 in the afternoon and started playing Robotron. I played that game on 1 token until 1:00 a.m. I blew up all my extra guys just to see how many I had left. I still had over 250 lives.

But let's get back to Zevs. I should have bought one of those Nudist Christian t-shirts from him when I was in college.

EDIT: I found this old thread that claims Space Port was the building that housed the original Campustown Pancheros
http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/off-topic/98129-dark-star-arcade.html

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
From the FWIW Department:

A few years ago, I finished writing a "novel" that eventually gathered dust after I realized the story is mostly unmarketable. The story does include a prominent secondary character loosely inspired by Zevs Cosmos.

So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If you were looking at Cys, Spaceport was in the building on the left, I think on the far left end. The last time I saw Zevs was on tv, MTV spring break in probably Daytona Beach all of a sudden he pops up. I think Allen Hunter interviewed him on the beach, very funny.

thedoctor

Oct 27, 2013
Earth
I saw that Zevs had posted here back in 2012. I have copies of his "Book of Zevs", a T-shirt, and an interview with him I did for a religion class. He never did get a church together but I think he tried to start a nudist gym before he got religion. I sure would like to find him again but he seems to have disappeared into the ether. If anyone spots him or knows where I can get in touch with him, send me a private message. I am considering writing a book. Thanks!