Zion Griffin progress

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Zion simply has too many players in front of him this year. Talley isn’t even seeing the floor. This team is deep relative to typical ISU teams. Let’s see how much he plays next year before drawing too many conclusions... it will be a make or break year for both him and Lewis.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Matt started the first part of the non-con and then was replaced by Monte for B12 season and got a handful of minutes on a much less deep team.

No he played every game off the bench. He was in the rotation. Different situation from Griffin who is not in the rotation.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
No he played every game off the bench. He was in the rotation. Different situation from Griffin who is not in the rotation.

yes different situation Matt averaged 21 minutes per game as the 7th man. Above Bluford, Gibson, Dorsey Walker, Ellerman and Edozie all who averaged 5ish.
the 2013-14 team doesn't have the depth of this current ISU team.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/66/year/2014

2014-15 Matt's minutes went down to 15 per game as the 8th man off the bench. (Dorsey walker also averaged 13 per.)
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/66/year/2015

Matt was a great Cyclone but it took him two years to develop into the stating version everyone fondly remembers.
I defended him then when people criticized him and thought he'd not live up to his top 50 ranking felt he should transfer.

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Players coming in as freshmen and not being major contributors in Year 1 (Hoiberg/Prohm era)
Palo
Railey
Gibson
Mitrou-Long
Dorsey-Walker
Custer
Tsalmpauris
Carter
Jakolby Long
Lewis

Players coming in as freshmen and being major contributors
Ejim
Niang
Morris
Thomas
Solo
Lard
Wigginton

While I certainly see the contract to those lists I'd say most on the second list were on much less talented rosters as freshmen than what Zion is up against.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: brycy

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Are folks really concerned because ZG isn't getting playing time? Even in a four guard lineup lets break down the roster

One of Haliburton, Babb, or Wigginton will always be in to run the point. Leave out the 5 spot. So for the 2,3, and 4 spots you have:
Shayok
THT
Lewis
ZG
Talley
...not to mention that whichever of the three guards that aren't running the point are still two of our top players and are not gonna be sitting the whole time the other is playing at the 1 spot.

Point is, no shame at being at the bottom end of that roster as a true freshman. Above you are 2 freshmen showing up on NBA draft reports, a 4-star sophomore who also is currently buried on the depth chart, a 5 star sophomore with high 1st round potential before all is said and done, and 3 seniors - one of which is leading the BXII in scoring

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
yes different situation Matt averaged 21 minutes per game as the 7th man. Above Bluford, Gibson, Dorsey Walker, Ellerman and Edozie all who averaged 5ish.

2014-15 Matt's minutes went down to 15 per game as the 8th man off the bench. (Dorsey walker also averaged 13 per.)

Matt was a great Cyclone but it took him two years to develop into the stating version everyone fondly remembers.
I defended him then when people criticized him and thought he'd not live up to his top 50 ranking felt he should transfer.

SDW only played in 3 games in 14-15 according to sportsreference.com

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Players coming in as freshmen and not being major contributors in Year 1 (Hoiberg/Prohm era)
Palo
Railey
Gibson
Mitrou-Long
Dorsey-Walker
Custer
Tsalmpauris
Carter
Jakolby Long
Lewis

Players coming in as freshmen and being major contributors
Ejim
Niang
Morris
Thomas
Solo
Lard
Wigginton

That list really shows the difference in recruiting focus (transfers vs high school) between the two coaching staffs:

4 major contributors in 6 years for Hoiberg (3 if Ejim was a McDermott recruit)
3 major contributors in 3 years for Prohm.
if you throw in TH, THT, then its 5 in 4 years for Prohm (so far - Conditt TBD)

Reactions: Cyclonepride

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm stunned that everyone doesn't already know this. The number of times it comes up every year is astonishing.

By people that seem to know about basketball, but apparently not.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The thing is it's pretty easy to do the injury thing. Since Zion did have an injury he can basically say it was because of that. Same thing Naz did.

Pretty sure there is a cutoff and Zion may have passed it.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Zion and Lewis both looked like competent future rotation guys imo. Good enough to invest a redshirt, had we been able to.

Imo Zion is another Rashon Clark, and was capable of playing how Rashon did as a freshman, had we been forced to play him. He’s going to fun to watch on the break with some of the young guards.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Outside of Naz, what players in the Hoiberg/Prohm era have come in from HS and sat the first year or two and been a major contributor down the road?

Realistically, if you aren't playing major minutes as a frosh here, you probably aren't going to down the road either.

Well Monte got bumped down by Kane and he has said that it was a good learning experience for him.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a freshman coming in and needing a year or two to develop. We have been spoiled with guys like Monte, Georges, Lindell, and now Tyrese that are ready from day one.

Naz is a great example of developing.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Good information, but it’s still incorrect to draw an equivalence between his first two years where he was always in the regular rotation to Griffin, who is not in the rotation.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think that a good outcome for him next year would to be a big wing that can fill Shayok’s role defensively and make 35-40% of his 3s on offense. I expect more of him as a soph than I did for Lewis.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Griffin is one out of 4 freshmen that is not playing in the conference games. He might still get some minutes Griffin if he fits in somehow. When he was out there he looked a little lost on defense at times. I don't know what kind of a scorer he was in HS, but his shot really looked pretty flat the games I saw him it. Without looking, I would guess that he didn't have a very good shooting percentage in the games he did get in.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Outside of Naz, what players in the Hoiberg/Prohm era have come in from HS and sat the first year or two and been a major contributor down the road?

Realistically, if you aren't playing major minutes as a frosh here, you probably aren't going to down the road either.

Lard

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron