Zion Griffin Transferring

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I think he could be really good at that level. Should get a ton more playing time and an opportunity to come into his own. He's got a wealth of athletic talent, and should be a load to handle.

A wealth of athletic talent is not how I'd describe him and his top 3 certainly does not conform to that take

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
A wealth of athletic talent is not how I'd describe him and his top 3 certainly does not conform to that take
He definitely has a lot of athletic talent. I think Zion is one of those players that has a ton of potential, but wasn't placed in a healthy enough environment for him to shine.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He definitely has a lot of athletic talent. I think Zion is one of those players that has a ton of potential, but wasn't placed in a healthy enough environment for him to shine.
His attainable upside is to be a garbage man, role player. Is that a lot of potential?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
His attainable upside is to be a garbage man, role player. Is that a lot of potential?
Potential is what you see. I see a 6'8 players that has power with some shooting skills. If he put the work in, he could be a very good 4. He may not be listed at 6'8 but last summer he told me that he is 6'8 and he looks it.

Regarding a garbage man role player, look at Melvin Ejim. One of the best glue guys out there and he was 6'6. If you ask me, he could be a Melvin Ejim if he worked like a Melvin Ejim. Any garbage player can be great, they just have to embrace the role while working on expanding their game.

Reactions: TheHonestCycloneFan

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

I'm confused by those disagreeing with the folks saying he has upside potential.

He has NBA level athleticism. When he would rise up for a pull up jumper, I've never seen anyone get up that high (maybe Wes Johnson/Lindell).

Unfortunately, he just didn't develop the ball handling skills or shot enough to be able to play much for us. Who knows whether he will put in the time and effort to develop those skills enough to be an impact player, but the necessary athletic base is there.

I hope he does and blows it up wherever he signs (though I admittedly hope he doesn't blow it up against us some day).

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Potential is what you see. I see a 6'8 players that has power with some shooting skills. If he put the work in, he could be a very good 4. He may not be listed at 6'8 but last summer he told me that he is 6'8 and he looks it.

Regarding a garbage man role player, look at Melvin Ejim. One of the best glue guys out there and he was 6'6. If you ask me, he could be a Melvin Ejim if he worked like a Melvin Ejim. Any garbage player can be great, they just have to embrace the role while working on expanding their game.
Sure. If by potential is analogous to possible. It’s possible we win the national championship next year, but we don’t have much potential for that to happen.

I’ve watched Hinsdale South games long before Zion committed, and it’s not surprising Zion didn’t workout here. I don’t fault Prohm for hoping he’d develop into a nice role player, you’ve got to take risks on guys!

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
I’ll fully admit that after the open practice I was excited for Zion this year. Granted it was just a practice, but besides Haliburton he was by far and away better than everyone else that day. However my wife and I both left that day saying “man, we’re gonna suck!”
Anyway I wish him well - I’m not sure he was given a fair run this year.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Going down a couple levels should help Zion a ton.. Unless he fixes his jump shot, I don't see him developing into a solid stretch 4. At that level, if he gains so me strength I could see him as a quality post-4. He has a much better chance of success staying around the paint.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Zion would have been a pretty good player in Wayne Morgan’s schemes. Zone defense, get up and down the court. Kind of how rahshon was. Clark has more talent but struggled when McDermott took over do to the offense .

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Sure. If by potential is analogous to possible. It’s possible we win the national championship next year, but we don’t have much potential for that to happen.

I’ve watched Hinsdale South games long before Zion committed, and it’s not surprising Zion didn’t workout here. I don’t fault Prohm for hoping he’d develop into a nice role player, you’ve got to take risks on guys!
https://247sports.com/Article/Out-of-nowhere-Zion-Griffin-sees-stock-explode-105678069/

This is why I thought Zion had a chance. This type of work ethic makes players great. Greatness isn't in your potential, your potential is your physical attributes, greatness is your dedication to seeing what you're capable of. I truly believe that the problem was that this work ethic didn't come along with him when he got to Ames and that is why he is in the position he's in. He was likely just a basketball player when he was in high school. When he got to Ames, he was a highly recruited basketball player. Some players handle success well and some don't.

Reactions: Halincandenza

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
https://247sports.com/Article/Out-of-nowhere-Zion-Griffin-sees-stock-explode-105678069/

This is why I thought Zion had a chance. This type of work ethic makes players great. Greatness isn't in your potential, your potential is your physical attributes, greatness is your dedication to seeing what you're capable of. I truly believe that the problem was that this work ethic didn't come along with him when he got to Ames and that is why he is in the position he's in. He was likely just a basketball player when he was in high school. When he got to Ames, he was a highly recruited basketball player. Some players handle success well and some don't.
You think a D1 guy in HS was “just a basketball player”? Nah, we got the Zion we recruited. The Zion of those two weeks hasn’t really been seen before or after. That article talks about him working hard to improve his shot and handling.?Does it look like he has?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
You think a D1 guy in HS was “just a basketball player”? Nah, we got the Zion we recruited. The Zion of those two weeks hasn’t really been seen before or after. That article talks about him working hard to improve his shot and handling.?Does it look like he has?
It doesn't now. That's what I've been saying. He didn't put in the work. Potential is measurables, results is work. With his measurables, if he put in the work like the article says he is capable of, he could have been a star. People don't have a set amount of ability, the more work they put in, the more ability they gain. It sounds like that is where you and I disagree.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Prohm gushed about Zion at the CF party before the season started, so its made this past season even weirder to understand by his performance.