Zion Griffin Transferring

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It doesn't now. That's what I've been saying. He didn't put in the work. Potential is measurables, results is work. With his measurables, if he put in the work like the article says he is capable of, he could have been a star. People don't have a set amount of ability, the more work they put in, the more ability they gain. It sounds like that is where you and I disagree.
Guys that lack talent and work ethic generally aren’t high potential. Let’s put it this way, outside of a brief period, Zion’s potential has been MVC level. I had hoped Prohm could change him, but I’m glad we moved on quickly.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Guys that lack talent and work ethic generally aren’t high potential. Let’s put it this way, outside of a brief period, Zion’s potential has been MVC level. I had hoped Prohm could change him, but I’m glad we moved on quickly.
But isn't talent created by work ethic? We all have some natural abilities, but it's not the ones who become the best that have natural abilities, it's the ones that have the desire to be the best, no matter the obstacles.

What I've been trying to say this entire time, and maybe I'm doing a poor job of expressing it, is he has the measurables to be a great player. In my opinion, talent is created by the ability to work, but that starts with understanding. I don't think Prohm did a good enough job inspiring Zion to be great.

I also have the belief that all failures fall back on leaders, which could be why I'm not as hard Zion as I am on the coach.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
But isn't talent created by work ethic? We all have some natural abilities, but it's not the ones who become the best that have natural abilities, it's the ones that have the desire to be the best, no matter the obstacles.

What I've been trying to say this entire time, and maybe I'm doing a poor job of expressing it, is he has the measurables to be a great player. In my opinion, talent is created by the ability to work, but that starts with understanding. I don't think Prohm did a good enough job inspiring Zion to be great.

I also have the belief that all failures fall back on leaders, which could be why I'm not as hard Zion as I am on the coach.

Skills can be developed. Talent is natural.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I come back to, he just wasn't a P6 talent at the end of the day. There's a reason he didn't see the court much in 2 years, and there's a reason he has no P6 interest upon leaving ISU. Same goes for Terrence, honestly. These guys must have impressed the right people along the way leading up to their recruitment, but never fulfilled their potential. I think that these guys get in their own heads. They think they don't have to put in the hard work because some scout or multiple scouts liked their game and gave them some good ratings. They don't understand that they have to earn success, fight for playing time, listen to your coaches etc. Nothing is given freely. I think this is what happened with Lewis and Griffin.

And there could be other factors that added to it. Homesickness and bad cultural fit at ISU are a couple things off the top of my head.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

At some point a player has to inspire himself. This is like the word out there that McKay was worried about who would watch over him when the coaching change happened.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
At some point a player has to inspire himself. This is like the word out there that McKay was worried about who would watch over him when the coaching change happened.
I 100% agree, but I think it's on a coach to find what is going to inspire a kid. As you can see, I kind of have a never give up mentality. I work with individuals that have very poor work ethics, but it's my job to pull them forward until they can eventually push. I've had individuals I've worked with where people say they will never get it together and then they do. It takes effort from both sides, I agree, but if someone isn't putting in the effort, you need to find a way to pull them harder until they truly understand what they are capable of.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Prohm gushed about Zion at the CF party before the season started, so its made this past season even weirder to understand by his performance.

Agree. CSP really singled him out as a guy making being improvements.
Wonder why after seeing how the season turned out. Simply trying to motivate him to keep working in the preseason?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

If you’re saying effectively all 6’6” above average athletes have high potential, sure.

He was starting so low from a basketball standpoint, and didn’t have the drive or competitive nature outside of game PT imo. At least in he didn’t in HS.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
If you’re saying effectively all 6’6” above average athletes have high potential, sure.

He was starting so low from a basketball standpoint, and didn’t have the drive or competitive nature outside of game PT imo. At least in he didn’t in HS.
Sounds like we got a picture and not the full film, if you get what I'm saying.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

That's a very interesting take on personal accountability.

In the end Zion Griffin was a bad fit for the 1-4 small ball system ISU runs.

I don't think Prohm is without blame, he keeps trying to do the same things today as he did with the roster he inherited from Hoiberg. Sometimes a coach needs to be flexible and scheme for the players he has.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

You blame CSP for Zion not being great? CSP has the broadest shoulders known to man because people have heaped so much garbage onto him and he hasn't buckled yet. You could probably start calling it CoronaProhm and a segment of this fan base could blame him for that as well.

Reactions: Doc

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

You know who made Michael Jordan great? Michael Jordan. You know who made me an average person? SpokaneCY.

I know our basketball program isn't good, but still the blame people want to cast onto CSP is crazy stupid!

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
You blame CSP for Zion not being great? CSP has the broadest shoulders known to man because people have heaped so much garbage onto him and he hasn't buckled yet. You could probably start calling it CoronaProhm and a segment of this fan base could blame him for that as well.
When you are in a leadership role, you are accountable for yourself and those you're leading. I highly recommend reading some leadership books if you disagree. You will not find a single great leader who does not take accountability for everything they have endured. This is my opinion I will stick by it. If you disagree, you disagree.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not familiar with the reporter but UIC makes sense for a lot of reasons.

@joehoopsreport Former Hinsdale South star Zion Griffin, an athletic 6-7 forward who spent two years at Iowa State, returns home. Will transfer to #UIC and play for first-year coach Luke Yaklich.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
This guy was linked to ISU early on wasn't he? Interesting that he's also going to UIC.