Zune vs Ipod

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
So my wife wants an mp3 player for Christmas, which on is better? I normally despise all products made by Apple because I find that they are usually inferior, but I want to make an educated decision. Can you at cyclone fanatic help me out?

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
Not trying to hijack the thread, but with all of the iPod docks out there, do are other MP3 players able to use them as well? Do they have the same connections?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Not trying to hijack the thread, but with all of the iPod docks out there, do are other MP3 players able to use them as well? Do they have the same connections?

No. They are for the iPod only. This is a big selling point for the ipod in my opinion.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
No, Apple has a proprietary connector. They refuse to use standards.

interesting, considering MSFT has historically gotten in all kinds of hot water with the DOJ for not using standards and allowing other companies access.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yep, that's what Apple does best. Marketing.

Its managed to gain so much pop buzz that every manufacturer out there wanted on it so they created accessories. Makes it very hard to want to buy another product if you want to hook it up easily to other devices. I have gone through a couple Creative Zen's and I love them, but not being able to just slide them into a dock of some sort is inconvenient. I use my phone anymore for music and video, but if I were looking for a device like these, I would probably go ipod and it sickens me.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So my wife wants an mp3 player for Christmas, which on is better? I normally despise all products made by Apple because I find that they are usually inferior, but I want to make an educated decision. Can you at cyclone fanatic help me out?

I'd go with the new iPod nano instead of any of the big iPod or Zune models. Convenient, cheap, long battery life.

If you care about the quality of your display, Apple's products over the past 5-10 years have made everything else look like cheap toys (that is unless you're familiar with brands like Eizo and Lacie and then you're probably spending many thousands anyway).

If you can't tell or don't care about display quality Apple products are probably overpriced. I'm talking mostly about their laptops and new iMacs that have AMAZING displays, but it's also true of the iPod touch and iPhone, the displays on these little devices are mind blowing. The iPhone 4's display is jaw dropping, I'm not a techy phone guy at all, just have a cheap piece of crap phone, but I want the thing just for watching movies on the go.

The other thing about Microsoft is, do you really want to reward a company that just waits 2-10 years and copies whatever Apple does? That's pretty much been their MO for decades now. MacOSX in 99... Windows XP rips it off several years later. iPod around 00, Zune 3-4 years later. iPhone... Windows phone several years later.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
interesting, considering MSFT has historically gotten in all kinds of hot water with the DOJ for not using standards and allowing other companies access.

Which is why my vote is for the Sansa. USB port for charging/transferring. microSD for expandable storage.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No, Apple has a proprietary connector. They refuse to use standards.

Apple was the first to adopt USB standard on its computers, by several years actually. They use standards when it makes sense for them and doesn't allow other companies to steal billions off their ingenuity.

They invented high storage capacity portable music players, they invented the smart phone as we know it. They should be entitled to having their own standard instead of cooperating with companies who made billions off stealing their ideas.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'd go with the new iPod nano instead of any of the big iPod or Zune models. Convenient, cheap, long battery life.

If you care about the quality of your display, Apple's products over the past 5-10 years have made everything else look like cheap toys (that is unless you're familiar with brands like Eizo and Lacie and then you're probably spending many thousands anyway).

If you can't tell or don't care about display quality Apple products are probably overpriced. I'm talking mostly about their laptops and new iMacs that have AMAZING displays, but it's also true of the iPod touch and iPhone, the displays on these little devices are mind blowing. The iPhone 4's display is jaw dropping, I'm not a techy phone guy at all, just have a cheap piece of crap phone, but I want the thing just for watching movies on the go.

The other thing about Microsoft is, do you really want to reward a company that just waits 2-10 years and copies whatever Apple does? That's pretty much been their MO for decades now. MacOSX in 99... Windows XP rips it off several years later. iPod around 00, Zune 3-4 years later. iPhone... Windows phone several years later.

Seriously? There have been windows enabled phones for years, long before the damn iphone. Their new windows 7 phones are just going along with what customers want now. No shame in that. As for windows, apple has done its fair share of copying. Apple is not this ultimate innovator of all things. Its products are very nice, I agree, but to call MS a copier is just plain silly.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I hate apple but I have a 160gb Ipod that I can't complain about. The one thing I would recommend is to stick with the MP3 format and don't get sucked into the AAC format. Eventually you may want another MP3 player or to put them on your phone and having the files in MP3 format is a lot easier. At least this has been my experience.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
So my wife wants an mp3 player for Christmas, which on is better? I normally despise all products made by Apple because I find that I can't afford superior products, but I want to make an educated decision. Can you at cyclone fanatic help me out?

Fixed for accuracy.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Apple also created and kept pimping out Firewire. People like myself bought a bunch of these cables that are now pretty much worthless.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Apple also created and kept pimping out Firewire. People like myself bought a bunch of these cables that are now pretty much worthless.

This. Good god did I hate firewire, good thing I never jumped on that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep, that's what Apple does best. Marketing.

Please, even if you have no Apple products you probably have 5 products within site of you right now that are copied from Apple innovation.

They have done well marketing the past decade, primarily because they have been the most creative and artistic technology company so they have something real to sell instead of just repackaging somebody else's ideas.

I'd say the computer mouse and visual interface is a little more than marketing. Inventing the smartphone as we know it (even though I'm annoyed by them) is a little more than just marketing. Apple skyrockets under jobs, he's forced out and it tanks, he starts Pixar which skyrockets, he comes back to Apple that is nearly bankrupt 12 years ago and they do a complete 180 and skyrocket again... there's a lot more than marketing going on, the guy is the Leonardo DaVinci of our times. I'm proud he's an American, we don't have much else to hang our hat on as far as innovation these days.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Please, even if you have no Apple products you probably have 5 products within site of you right now that are copied from Apple innovation.

They have done well marketing the past decade, primarily because they have been the most creative and artistic technology company so they have something real to sell instead of just repackaging somebody else's ideas.

I'd say the computer mouse and visual interface is a little more than marketing. Inventing the smartphone as we know it (even though I'm annoyed by them) is a little more than just marketing. Apple skyrockets under jobs, he's forced out and it tanks, he starts Pixar which skyrockets, he comes back to Apple that is nearly bankrupt 12 years ago and they do a complete 180 and skyrocket again... there's a lot more than marketing going on, the guy is the Leonardo DaVinci of our times. I'm proud he's an American, we don't have much else to hang our hat on as far as innovation these days.

Which both MS and Apple ripped off from Xerox.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron