Zune vs Ipod

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Very few are the too cool for school crowd.

This has not been my experience in the least. I have been on two different college campuses and witnessed it both places. My gf works at Bestbuy and gets calls from raging customers because they need the new I-****. It is madness driven by consumerism and not utility, in my personal experience. I realize this can't be the only reason because apple wouldn't be this successful for just this reason alone, but it is annoying.

khehr

Apr 28, 2009
Ames
Ditto. This guy is clearly either rather young, or has had little need for transferring lots of data.

USB 1.0 vs. firewire was like water from a straw vs. a fire hose.

His argument is even more silly since Apple was the first company to lead the charge for both standards. USB became popular and accepted faster in large part because Apple started shipping 100% of their computers with USB before PC manufactures even started thinking about it.

Actually, I am an IT director. I move TONS of data over FW800 and FW400. I support hundreds of machines that DO NOT have FW (NEW MBs). There is a time for everything to end. I LOVE FW, but its time is over.:v_SPIN:

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
I bought an ipod about 4 years ago. I never figured out why but the sound quality was terrible, lots of distortion. I tried several different headphones (including the ones that came with the ipod) and music from several different sources (including itunes). That's pretty much my only Apple experience.

My complaints about Apple will always be about their price vs. what you get. I don't think it's worth it. Some people do. That's a personal decision.

I whole heartedly agree with this.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
IMHO, Apple makes products that are easy to use. However, they are usually a little limited in what they can do. Can't swap batteries, can't add memory, bluetooth (?) etc.

Whoever said tApple's "one" connection is better is nuts. Most MP3's have a single connection for charging and data transfer. These are mostly the same so that I can borrow or share cables from other devises.

I had a smart phone for several months before the I-phone was introduced. My phone had internet, Windows Media Player, and cell phone functionality. However, the marketing "gurus" at Apple claimed theirs was first. It was ONLY because it was an i-pod.

Apple makes sound products, but they aren't that far ahead of anyone else if at all. Their real (and in my opinion only) advantage is in improved user interfaces and simplified (and limited) operation of their devices.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Alienware has always made far superior Desktops and Laptops compared to Apple (at least since 1996 when they were founded). I know Alienware is owned by Dell now (since 2006) but their stuff is still great.

Having to have an Apple product is an elitist/snobish thing, regardless of what Apple user wants to tell you.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I am looking to upgrade to a larger capacity MP3 for music primarily. My wife and daughter have Ipods and have a huge music Library. If I go with a Creative product or other MP3, will I be able to easily access the library and download the songs/albums?

Z

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I am looking to upgrade to a larger capacity MP3 for music primarily. My wife and daughter have Ipods and have a huge music Library. If I go with a Creative product or other MP3, will I be able to easily access the library and download the songs/albums?

Z

The answer is-- maybe. It depends on if your wife and daughter have converted their music to the AAC proprietary format and/or if your other MP3 player can play that format.

If the music files are all in .mp3 or .wav format, it would be fairly easy to access that library and put the songs/albums on your new device. All you would have to do is go into the folders and grab the files and drag them into the new device.

If they are in the AAC format (.AAC files, which iTunes at least used to try to convert all music files to) and your new player does not support that format it will be hard to transfer them over. Likewise if the files are in .wma format (the proprietary Microsoft format) and your player doesn't support it, you also won't be able to play them. I haven't looked at new mp3 players lately, so I don't know what file types they support these days. It's something you'd have to check out, it should be something easily found on the box of the new player.

Reactions: zach

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Having to have an Apple product is an elitist/snobish thing, regardless of what Apple user wants to tell you.

Having an Apple product is not an elitist/snobbish thing regardless of what an Apple hater wants to tell you. <- see what I did there?

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I do, and its a god awful experience. One thing MS does very well is simplifying the networking and file sharing. Even the most basic user could probably stumble through it. MAC's not so much.

I've never used any MAC products but I don't think MS has ever done networking very well and they seem to change it with every release so they have had a few chances. I almost can't believe MAC's are worse.

And to the OP, I'd go with an iPod.

fanaticagain

Jun 6, 2009
Get over it? Its still around my friend. If it goes away, Ill get over it, much like parallel ports of old.

FireWire is still used for professional applications such as video production. Until the video industry graduates to a different standard, FW won't be leaving Macs.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
So my wife wants an mp3 player for Christmas, which on is better? I normally despise all products made by Apple because I find that they are usually inferior, but I want to make an educated decision. Can you at cyclone fanatic help me out?

You are obviously showing a bias already that I find rather amusing - that Apple creates inferior products. That the masses are buying them in greater and greater quantities obviously says that people talk to each other and say the opposite of what you believe.

In any case, you need to try the players to make a decision. Personally, I now own five iPods. Some models are better than others. My iPod Touch has been amazing and that is an understatement. I get all the functionality of the iPod and the Apps of the iPhone. The Zune has always been behind the eight ball not because its a bad mp3 player, but because its design and functionality from a user standpoint is like comparing a Chevy Cavalier (Zune) to an Audi (Apple). Not even close.