UNL AD mentions interest in future games vs. ISU

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/m...cle_2d91e20c-ef23-5431-aa50-4f9cf5259ff3.html

You may need to subscribe to see this but the gist is, Huskers would pack stadiums in Ames, Manhattan and Lawrence like they did in the 90's....and that none of the local programs are on their level so they would have nothing to gain nationally. They do add that they would be willing to play us in bball. How gracious of them.
I have to admit enjoying going to BB games in Lincoln and having the 20-30 Cyclones in the stands totally take over.

But nope, still not worth it.

Reactions: heitclone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
C'mon man, chill out. Half the conference (that we know of) shopped around. Hell, Missouri tried to leave first when they were knocking on Delaney's door to get into the Big Ten. The B12 looked like it legitimately might die. It wasn't unlikely Nebraska wouldn't have found themselves in a similar scenario than the one we were all scared of for ISU if it did die. I don't like that the conference fell apart, but I can curb my enthusiasm long enough to realize each University did what was best (at the time) for their school.

You need to grow up, dude.

No. Osborne preemptively lobbied the B1G. Chronology doesn't lie. They didn't react to instability. They created it.

MnBrPg

Dec 15, 2015
Kansas City
Do you really think Nebraska's situation and ISU's situation were even remotely similar at the time?

No. Foreshadowing, however, had the big 12 folded they could have easily found themselves independents or a part of a new, weaker, conference with ISU and a couple others. Possibly pairing up with some mountain west schools... those are just two, of the several, far less appealing scenarios than accepting a lucrative invite to the Big Ten.

I don't have an interest in drawing this out. All I'm saying is the schools that left, and several that stayed, weighed their options and acted according the best interest of their universities. Seems some people here can't quit seeing blood and look at the situation from another point of view. Thank god the conference didn't fold, and if it does undergo significant change in the next round of contracts, I'm sure happy Pollard is leading our way. He's doing some great things for us in Ames.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
C'mon man, chill out. Half the conference (that we know of) shopped around. Hell, Missouri tried to leave first when they were knocking on Delaney's door to get into the Big Ten. The B12 looked like it legitimately might die. It wasn't unlikely Nebraska wouldn't have found themselves in a similar scenario than the one we were all scared of for ISU if it did die. I don't like that the conference fell apart, but I can curb my enthusiasm long enough to realize each University did what was best (at the time) for their school.

You need to grow up, dude.

Where was Iowa State going to go? The B1G already has TV rights in Iowa. Iowa State didn't have a leg to stand on!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No. Foreshadowing, however, had the big 12 folded they could have easily found themselves independents or a part of a new, weaker, conference with ISU and a couple others. Possibly pairing up with some mountain west schools... those are just two, of the several, far less appealing scenarios than accepting a lucrative invite to the Big Ten.

I don't have an interest in drawing this out. All I'm saying is the schools that left, and several that stayed, weighed their options and acted according the best interest of their universities. Seems some people here can't quit seeing blood and look at the situation from another point of view. Thank god the conference didn't fold, and if it does undergo significant change in the next round of contracts, I'm sure happy Pollard is leading our way. He's doing some great things for us in Ames.
Even after adding Nebraska a few years down the road the Big 10 added Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers! I think that Nebraska would have been able to find a landing spot comparable to where they were in the Big 12.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Do tell.

For decades UNL built their records on the backs of fellow Big 8 members. And then they secretly joined the B1G. If the other point of view is "aw shucks, it's just business" well **** that. Osborne knew what position he was putting ISU into.

But go ahead and blame ISU for not being ready for the earthquake no one saw coming.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You want a piece of the Clones, Cornholers???

Step up if you want an ass kicking

I say **** Nebraska. They want their cake and eat it too.

Play Rutgers, cash the checks, and shut the hell up
Considering the state of their program right now they should be happy they get to play Rutgers.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
What? No. That's the exact opposite of what I typed. You play the ones you hate, that's what makes it so damn fun.

I'm so tired of the jilted lover routine. I get it, they left the B12 years ago, it's time to get over it.

I know. I don't think you are hating enough.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
I'm enjoying sitting back and watching NE crawl back to relevancy. Do they now think that playing us can help them crawl out of the pit that they created? Let them find someone else on which to rebuild a resume. We've moved on.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have to admit enjoying going to BB games in Lincoln and having the 20-30 Cyclones in the stands totally take over.

But nope, still not worth it.
Last game I was there was really funny. So many ISU fans were there chanting "where's your students, clap clap clap clap clap, where's your students?"

There was also birds flying around and an ISU fan nearby said "man, this place is a dump." A bugeater nearby said "yeah, it's old." I chimed in and said "Uh, Hilton's older and is definitely not a dump."

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
foff.gif

Marry me

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
College football schedules are already so disparate that there is absolutely no logic to willingly increasing the difficulty of the games you play. Although NU is no powerhouse, they still have much higher recruiting rankings than ISU every year and they made an Iowa State-like move by firing Riley and bringing in a proven coach with his entire staff intact. The Huskers will soon be playing at a level comparable to ISU. So, no thanks, we do not need to play a brutal conference slate every year, plus the Hawks plus another difficult game which is what Nebraska would be.

Plus I agree with those who say avoid Nebraska forever. They screwed ISU and their fans openly cheer for the demise of the Big 12. You know what, I don't want to go back and have a date with my cheating Ho of an ex-wife and playing NU would be the same thing.