What common football idiom makes you cringe when you hear it?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Idiom probably isn’t the right use of word. Phrase probably is, but idiom sounds cooler, so whatever.

I heard this last night and cringed. Not the way they said it, but because I hate it so much. “Well, linemen will tell you there’s holding on every single play.”

Yeah. As a lineman, I was TAUGHT to hold. My own lineman coach taught us that the difference between holding and getting called for holding is when you extend your arms. But every play you let them lean into you then grab their chest plate and keep them close to your body. We get it. It happens every play. That’s the way the game is. Please stop telling us every single time there’s a holding penalty.

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was a lineman for the last several years, I rarely held. My senior year of HS I was LT and the qb only got hit once due to my blocking. I know the higher the level, the more it happens but good lineman at their level don’t need to hold every play just to block.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
“Catching the ball at its highest point”. In other words, they jumped up 20 feet and caught the ball at the apex? Unless, the QB is throwing a line drive, you will never catch the ball at its highest point.
I hate when broadcasters say “strenf” or “lenth” rather than “Strength” and “length”. This is more common in basketball. Just pronounce it correctly.
“He gave 110%”. Not only is it impossible to give over 100%, but why did he only give 10% more than what he is already capable of?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I hate when old white commentators try to sound cool. Happens more in basketball when they start saying "distributing the rock", "dropping dimes", "bigs", etc.

How about when they start ogling a hot co-Ed in the stands?

Btw, what is old? Need to know if I fit the category:)

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
"Painted area" instead of "in the paint." I don't hear it as much anymore, but about a decade after "in the paint" became common phrase for "in the lane," suddenly announcers began to say "painted area" instead.

Similar (but not as common) "red area" vs. "red zone."

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
"The only thing the Prevent defense does is "prevent" you from winning"

Just the dumbest, oversimplified, oft-repeated explanation possible. Literally all teams run the prevent at one point or another. If there was any truth to the saying, nobody would run it.

• Winner
Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
There are a lot more in basketball (like "dribble drive" - as if there there is any other way to drive in hoops).

But I hate when they say things like "he's out with a knee". Poor guy, having a knee and all.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Referee language: "The previous play is under further review."

No, it isn't under further review. It hasn't been reviewed yet. It's under review.
Technically I think they are right. Every play gets reviewed in some magic land of reviews and then they buzz down if they need to review further.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
When a punt lands and bounces backwards and the commentators credit the punter for putting backspin on it. Do they not realize that a football is not round and the direction it bounces is almost 100% random? Unless you were to punt the ball barrel-roll style. Even then it would be impossible to punt a football 30-40 yards with enough backspin to actually bounce backwards.