[Commitment Watch] ‘22 In-State LB Will McLaughlin

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Most of western iowa is either cyclone or busker territory, except a few ######## . ;)

I'd say 20 years ago it was 40% Husker, 40% hawkeye, 20% Cyclone. Now, the husker fans have dropped off except for Council Bluffs and Sioux City. I feel like it's a pretty even split between the 3 with maybe the Clones ahead and huskers lagging at more like 25%.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I'd say 20 years ago it was 40% Husker, 40% hawkeye, 20% Cyclone. Now, the husker fans have dropped off except for Council Bluffs and Sioux City. I feel like it's a pretty even split between the 3 with maybe the Clones ahead and huskers lagging at more like 25%.

The access to the coaches that Jamie grants on that bus tour every year was one of the best marketing moves I can think of. Made huge huge inroads in Western Iowa. Helps that we have had coaches that are very likable people.

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
The tide is turning my friends...we’re going to start getting a lot more of these Iowa kids that the school out east ‘doesn’t want’.
The Hawks have some Western IA guys we'd probably like to have, e.g., Humbolt, Algona, Council Bluffs, Holstein, Larchwood, Moville, ---plus Ankeny, Ames, Des Moines & other Central IA schools, plus their 2021 class has a kid from Ida Grove and a bunch of Central IA kids who played their H. S. ball within 45 minutes of Ames. Still lots of work to get where we want to be on the recruiting trail.

Jack Gladney

Oct 31, 2017
I've got a question about these 247 crystal ball accuracy ratings. Do they only look at the last prediction of each forecaster at the time the player commits to determine if he accurately predicted the school choice? In other words, can they flip their predictions beforehand without any adverse impact on their accuracy rating?

If so, it would explain how they are all so high. I'm sure that on the day before or day of the official commitment, the word in already spreading for many of these kids. It would also be useful to know so that when you see an early prediction for a kid from an expert with a 90%+ accuracy rating, that you can take it with a grain of salt since I'm sure they flip these early predictions regularly.

On the other hand, if once they make a prediction then they are locked in, or at least if they flip then both predictions go into the equation, then some of these guys are impressive predictors and would mean it doesn't look good for us on those top 4 in-state guys.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I've got a question about these 247 crystal ball accuracy ratings. Do they only look at the last prediction of each forecaster at the time the player commits to determine if he accurately predicted the school choice? In other words, can they flip their predictions beforehand without any adverse impact on their accuracy rating?

If so, it would explain how they are all so high. I'm sure that on the day before or day of the official commitment, the word in already spreading for many of these kids. It would also be useful to know so that when you see an early prediction for a kid from an expert with a 90%+ accuracy rating, that you can take it with a grain of salt since I'm sure they flip these early predictions regularly.

On the other hand, if once they make a prediction then they are locked in, or at least if they flip then both predictions go into the equation, then some of these guys are impressive predictors and would mean it doesn't look good for us on those top 4 in-state guys.
Yeah, the can flip right before hand and it counts as being correct. That is why you really can't pay attention to them until you know an announcement is coming.