COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
You need a time machine because you are stuck in 2010 where big markets mattered. Viewership is what matters today, not TV markets. And attendance is a proxy for viewership. ISU has shown they have fans who will watch. ISU is an up and coming program that gets viewers. If you listen to people outside of Iowa you would understand this. But Iowa fans think that ISU is worthless and ISU fans have too many memories of getting kicked in the nuts.
I think you’re on to something and I’m hopeful all the old white men making the decisions catch up to you. People across the country without ties to ISU love the enthusiasm, Campbell, Hilton, black unis, and the “chicken head” stocking caps.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
One thing to remember about the possibility of the BIg Ten is that they really promote the long standing rivalries and trophy games... ISU v Iowa would fit right into that.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
B1G Ten should add ISU, KU, KSU and WV. Then you can split into 9 and 9 with Illinois Indiana border splitting the East and West
Kick WVU to the curb and swipe Missouri from the SEC. Always loved playing Mizzou and it looks like Kansas is starting to play them again in basketball after years of holding a grudge. Having Nebraska, Missouri, ISU, KSU and KU would like getting the Big 12 North back together again. But that's probably not going to happen.

Reactions: cycloneML

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Hope and pray for the Big 10. Otherwise Pac. People keep talking about playing late night games on the coast. Well, firstly, most of our conference games will be with Okie State, KSU, Tech, etc.. Those west coast teams have to come here too. So when it's all said and done, there may be two games a year where we are playing late at night. I mean we get 6 home games. Some of our road games will be against the Midwest part of the Pac anyway.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I want to say stop with the B1G talk because there is no way it will happen, but its really our only option at remaining status quo. So dream big and hope the stars align!

Living in B1G country I know I'd get **** for little ol' ISU joining the conference, and there would probably be disdain for it...those same people giving me **** would look at me sideways when I'd tell them how disappointing it would be to lose the B12.

Reactions: jwtcyclone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
One thing to remember about the possibility of the BIg Ten is that they really promote the long standing rivalries and trophy games... ISU v Iowa would fit right into that.

ISU vs. Nebraska. ISU vs. Minnesota. ISU vs. Wisconsin.

ISU is in a position to create their own destiny. Win the Big 12. Make CFP. Iowa State is in so much better shape today. Iowa State to Big Ten. Perfect geographic fit. Perfect academic fit. Perfect culture fit.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Important to plan for what's most in the control of our remaining 8 teams as much as possible while also negotiating to join with teams from other P5 conferences. We don't know what the Big 10 and Pac 12 ultimately want so that is less in our control. What's most in our control is to invite schools like Cincinnati, BYU, UCF, Memphis or Houston which average at least 25k fans and have good programs. Inviting G5 schools also sends the signal that we want to grow big time college football by giving more schools a chance to join a stronger conference. For example, schools like San Diego State, Boise State, East Carolina, SMU and Fresno State also have good fan bases and want to have a chance to compete and win against the best competition possible. Growing the sport means giving them an opportunity in the relatively near future to do this. In turn you engage those fan bases more in national college football. The SEC is a cut above and may start a super league, but maybe there is enough interest for there to be another league that has teams in areas without super league teams. Or maybe another sport or sports will take the place of college football in those areas.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Could someone smarter than myself answer this question. What’s stopping the NCAA from blowing up every conference and realigning them maybe in a more geographical way?

I’d be fine if WV left the big 12 and I’m sure the big 10 would be fine if like Rutgers and Maryland left
NCAA has no control over conferences.

Once enough of the right football programs realize that the NCAA and its regulations are no longer in their best interest or even necessary, they'll just run their own league and make their own rules.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Could someone smarter than myself answer this question. What’s stopping the NCAA from blowing up every conference and realigning them maybe in a more geographical way?

I’d be fine if WV left the big 12 and I’m sure the big 10 would be fine if like Rutgers and Maryland left
Best conferences want the status quo unless realignment gives them a better chance to make more money.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014

ISU is in a position to create their own destiny. Win the Big 12. Make CFP. Iowa State is in so much better shape today. Iowa State to Big Ten. Perfect geographic fit. Perfect academic fit. Perfect culture fit.
One season will mean absolutely nothing in this situation. And this will be done before the season gets over anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020

This outlook helps me come out of my funk. It's time for ISU to create it's own destiny. Take charge and don't accept that we might end up in a conference with schools named after cities or face a direction.

Reactions: STLISU

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It is not a g5 league. No g5 team has wvu, osu, ISU, KSU, tcu, Baylor, or even tech level teams and KU is a blue blood basketball. It is better than ACC minus Clemson and better pound for pound than pac 12 has been. It may not generate same revenue but it would be a scrappy conference.

That's what people said about the Big East. They used to have football too.

Reactions: cyclonehomer