Cyclone Football Twitter

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I completely understand that. I mostly post on my iPhone, and it likes to constantly autocorrect things like “well” to “we’ll” and “will” to “Will”.

I even had one day I was trying to write some phrase (whatever it was), and couldn’t get it to stop correcting to “Rhode Island”, whatever I did. It was frustrating! I finally wound up totally changing the sentence.

I use a web plug-in called Grammarly that catches a lot of mistakes, but will also point out things all the time that aren't mistakes and try to get me to change them. One of my goals, since I was in college, has been to develop a writing style that is as close to how I actually talk as possible, which usually just means eliminating all the swear words :jimlad:. I want someone who reads what I write to be able to imagine my voice reading it to them. That means breaking away from what most people would probably consider "professional writing." It really comes down to conveying what you want to say in the simplest terms possible because that's how people talk. I make mistakes when I start using words I wouldn't use in normal conversation.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
I try to avoid those words because I know I'm going to mess them up. I'm smart enough to know how big of an idiot I am.

Edit: Realize the wrong complement was used in my story yesterday but my transcription service used the wrong one and I just didn't catch it. S*** happens when you're your own editor. I also took one writing class while I was in journalism school and it was intro to news writing. Never had to take a grammar or English comp class at Iowa State. Any grammatical errors in my stories are more of an indictment on the public school system and the fact that Cyclone Fanatic doesn't have a full copy desk than journalism school.

Jared, I want to let you know that the improvement in your writing over the last 3+ years is really noticeable. Your stories have improved immensely, and I really enjoy reading them. I get excited to read your pieces, and want you to know that Fanatics Appreciate it! Keep on keeping on!

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jared, I want to let you know that the improvement in your writing over the last 3+ years is really noticeable. Your stories have improved immensely, and I really enjoy reading them. I get excited to read your pieces, and want you to know that Fanatics Appreciate it! Keep on keeping on!

I truly appreciate that. When I started trying to get into this business, I really only wanted to do podcasts/be on the radio. I wanted to call games. I saw writing as a necessary evil to get to the point where I could do that, but it was a grind. It did not come naturally to me. I was usually the last person to leave after games because I would sit and overanalyze what I was trying to write about. I'd go over sentences four or five times writing and rewriting them trying to make them "perfect." There was a point last year (oddly enough right in the middle of the pandemic) when a switch seemingly flipped and it started to come much, much easier. Maybe I hit some sort of milestone on my 10,000 hours journey, but I think realistically I just found the kind of writer I want to be and had finally found the written voice I was looking for.

I've had to work my *** off for damn 10 years to even get to that point though and I'm far from a finished product (as best exhibited by the initial point about grammar that started this entire conversation). I was (and still am) a sponge for sportswriting. Every morning when I wake up, I spend probably an hour to an hour and a half just reading. I try to read everything on every site (including some of our competitors) and look for things I can pick up on to mold into my own stuff. That's always the first piece of advice I give when I talk to college classes, which is one of my favorite things I get to do a couple of times a year.

I got very lucky to spend time around and be mentored by some really good writers, plus have a boss who let me make mistakes and learn on the fly in my own way. Chris has never forced me into doing anything his way. He let me find my own way, which is why when I eventually (hopefully) write/publish a book he'll be the first person I acknowledge. He gave me the vehicle (or opportunities) to do something with writing but I had to learn how to drive the car and for that I'll always be grateful.

TL;DR edition: Thanks for saying something nice to me. I appreciate it.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Herbie with the wake up call:

When is the rest of the world going to catch up to CMC and have a National Do Something Day? Today is National Be Someone Day. Yesterday was National Moon Family Head Football Racist Day, or something like that.

1626898528859.png

Reactions: 2020cy

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
YOU GO GIRL!

texas-longhorn-logo.jpg

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames

1. CHARLIE KOLAR, IOWA STATE

There's no question that Kolar's in-line blocking is the weak link in his game, but it's better to have a top-tier receiving tight end than college football's best blocker at the position. And Kolar has made short work of moving up the receiving ranks over the past two seasons. His PFF receiving grade over that span ranks second to only Kyle Pitts among FBS tight ends. Over those two years, Kolar’s receiving grade in the slot or out wide actually surpasses Pitts' mark for the best in the FBS.