Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Nothing about Jamie’s body language or facial expressions was positive. He seemed angry, exhausted, and trying to hold back sadness at times. I do appreciate that there wasn’t an intent to sell the university to others here like many of the statements we saw today. But I’m feeling pretty confident that there aren’t other takers for us at this time. Why else would he go out of the way to say that about Bowlsby? They’re trying to create as much stability as they can while the house of cards collapses. I fear we have no good options but again, will hope JP can pull the rabbit out of the hat for all our sakes.
I couldn't have interpreted the message more different than you.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Agreed. Not probably a popular opinion but that’s what I saw too. Wish I felt differently. All that said, he wasn’t going to say anything substantive about finding a new conference in this sort of message at this time. Have to squeeze as much out of the traitors as possible.

Definitely not a popular opinion and I’ll eat crow gladly when we get the B1G invite but while the words said little, I did not get a great impression from JP as to our options.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Just for curiosity sake what did you see? I’m not here to argue with anyone and respect differing opinions. Tough time all around for our fan base.

Reactions: jctisu

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
Pollard may believe everything he said, but not what you think he said. Fans stay calm; we’re working on it; it’s going to take time for the entire restructuring of college football to take place; we get paid Texas & Oklahoma $$ for up to 4 years. It may not take that long, but we’re covered up to that point.

He’s also telling OU & TX & their new media partners that we’re not giving up the $$. They would be best served by finding new homes for all Big XII programs. Then they can get rid of the Big XII payments.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA

I get that reading body language from a 7-minute video isn’t always accurate but having seen a lot of these videos with Jamie, it didn’t feel particularly positive in comparison (from my perspective of course).

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I agree that JP was angry (clearly). But I disagree with the opinion that JP doesn't have irons in the fire at the moment. Maybe it will all result in nothing. But this idea that JP doesn't have a plan is ignoring the last 15 years.

I’m not sure how anyone would think JP doesn’t have a plan or “irons in the fire” but no one can make another P5 league take them in unless there’s mutual interest. Of course every Cyclone fan hopes that’s true with either the B1G or the PAC or else we’re in deep trouble.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Agree. I think the 8 Big 12 schools want $$$$ from OU and Texas. Would be funny if Texas and OU pay up the $100 Million or whatever it is, leave, and then the remaining 8 vote to disband a couple of months later and trot off to their new conferences (hopefully ISU to the Big 10 of course).
Heck with that - take the money at noon - disband at 12:15

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Multiple thoughts.

Would have rather had no statement, but from formality perspective I get it. This just didn’t do much for me. I don’t think there was any panic, but just nothing exactly useful from this either. Didn’t really love the strong Bowlsby support statement. At the end of the day, this does fall on him for being so oblivious.

But I will remind everyone for all legal purposes, JP HAS to approach this from a public perspective that this is a “four year” timeline. Until Texas and OU make the early bolt (which they will) that has to be the stance and nothing more. He can’t just publicly say “yeah I have Barry Alvarez on speed dial.” Don’t read too much into that as if Jamie’s clueless here about how things may fall.

The entire video reminded me of when your wife tells you “I’m fine” after you ask her what’s bothering her. You know you’re f’d.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Just for curiosity sake what did you see? I’m not here to argue with anyone and respect differing opinions. Tough time all around for our fan base.
I saw a guy that was publicly posturing to keep a pay day from Texas and OU on the table. I saw a guy that didn't tout our academics or read a statement that reeked of desperation so another conference would consider us. I saw confident leadership.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
More I think about it…he was too calm, way too calm…we know he was lying, he knows he’s lying, he knows that we know he’s lying…that was Jaime saying “f you, you mother fing cucksucker, pay me my money and get out of my fing sight”

He’s got this, I was pretty down all week, but he’s got this..I’m sure now.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I get that reading body language from a 7-minute video isn’t always accurate but having seen a lot of these videos with Jamie, it didn’t feel particularly positive in comparison (from my perspective of course).

They’ve got all of college football dissecting this like the Zapruder Film…this had to be a hard video to make in any case. The real question is why did they have to make a video?