Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

20eyes

May 15, 2020
He’s not wrong. BU and TCU are screwed, KSU, OSU, TTU fans don’t have much hope, and KU, ISU, WVU fans think they are going to get an invite shortly when I don’t see much chance that happening.

There's no delusion in a reasoned opinion about why it's possible to get an invite. We're not delusional. That's just a KSU fans way to besmirch our program and fanbase. There's no reason for that here.

And which Hawks have come in here and said some sh*t like that? None.

CyTwister

Aug 30, 2019
We’re not just talking about the B1G though…

yes I know and agree. I’d probably put the odds at something like…

70% Big12 with a few new friends
10% PAC12
5% B1G
15% AAC

I think there is a higher chance we end up in the AAC than the B1G as of this very moment which isn’t fun to think about.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

10% PAC12
5% B1G
15% AAC

I think there is a higher chance we end up in the AAC than the B1G as of this very moment which isn’t fun to think about.
I think at this very moment, I can’t even give percentages because it’s still far too early in the process. I think in 6 months we’ll have a lot more answers to these questions and conferences / Fox will have a lot more plans for their future.

Reactions: CyTwister

CyTwister

Aug 30, 2019
There's no delusion in a reasoned opinion about why it's possible to get an invite. We're not delusional. That's just a KSU fans way to besmirch our program and fanbase. There's no reason for that here.

And which Hawks have come in here and said some sh*t like that? None.

You’re entitled to your opinion and Surly is entitled to his. Every fan base is delusional to some extent (Iowa fans wanting to fire Ferentz/Nebraska thinking they should regularly compete with or beat OSU/UM/PSU). I think ISU fans are delusional about how stable our program is long term and what we bring to the table. Also a lot of fans can’t understand why the B1G wouldn’t accept us when it’s pretty straightforward they have no incentive to act.

Only other insight I have is that our brand recognition/relevance/whatever you want to call it is stronger than 10 years ago, but still has much room to improve (see all the times announcers call Iowa the Cyclones and us the Iowa State Hawkeyes).

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

10% PAC12
5% B1G
15% AAC

0% Big 12 with new friends
69% PAC 12+
31% B1G
0% AAC

Reactions: Cyclonepride

20eyes

May 15, 2020
You’re entitled to your opinion and Surly is entitled to his. Every fan base is delusional to some extent (Iowa fans wanting to fire Ferentz/Nebraska thinking they should regularly compete with or beat OSU/UM/PSU). I think ISU fans are delusional about how stable our program is long term and what we bring to the table. Also a lot of fans can’t understand why the B1G wouldn’t accept us when it’s pretty straightforward they have no incentive to act.

Only other insight I have is that our brand recognition/relevance/whatever you want to call it is stronger than 10 years ago, but still has much room to improve (see all the times announcers call Iowa the Cyclones and us the Iowa State Hawkeyes).
Sh*ttng on ISU and disguising it as an opinion is unacceptable.

I suppose you're right about our profile compared to what we think our profile is...but there's a lot of that in the other direction too.

Out of the 64(5) P5 programs, ISU seems to rarely fall the below the mid 40's in all the positive indicators that I see here periodically...TV, attendance, budget, etc. So it'd be a real shame if we ended up on the outside looking in for power league football that included 64 teams, or even 50 teams. Now, I concede...a 32 team NFL lite, we're out, we're done.

And I do think that if you're in the business of selling football games ISU is a good investment. With the adequate infusion of cash, Campbell could really build a monster which would translate directly to success for whichever conference we occupy. I know that pinning everything on CMC is hard for an investor to swallow but our AD and presidents (since JP) have demonstrated that we're motivated to win and physically grow. More so that several Pac, and yes, B1G members. Not saying it'll translate to an invite. But we're a solid partner at the P5/4 level.

Reactions: CyTwister

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
100% Revamped Big 12 with less money and being regulated to a lower tier status. Not enough $$$ to pay Matt and his staff the $$$ they deserve. Because of this they will leave and Iowa State will never fully recover.

Essentially, what happened to UCONN will happen to ISU. This is what I'm expecting to happen based on the information / comments currently available.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My guess is the remaining 7 add BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston after WVU goes to the ACC. The second most likely, some sort of P12 merger sans TCU and Baylor. Third, complete chaos, with oSu going to the SEC as Texas is rejected, Ku and TxT to the P12, or Ku dropping their juco football program for the Big East, TCU and Baylor going to the MWC, and the remainder to the AAC.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
AAC stadiums...this entire youtube channel is great btw and as an outsider he loves JTS

ECU...much better stadium than I'd have guessed
Tulane...really meh, like minor league soccer
UCF...pretty meh for a new stadium
SMU...small but attractive
Houston...like a smaller asymmetrical JTS
Memphis...we all know this one well, cool stadium, problem is it's probably empty for games
Temple...an NFL stadium, again probably empty for games and it's not like ISU fans are going to drive to this one unlike Memphis (incredibly unlikely this is ever a conference stadium of ours)
Navy...cute and fun but small (again incredibly unlikely this is ever an ISU conference road game)
Cincy...bizzarre and small but I kind of like how weird it is
USF...another NFL stadium but this one actually could be part of a future conference
Tulsa...KU

Reactions: surly

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My guess is the remaining 7 add BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston after WVU goes to the ACC. The second most likely, some sort of P12 merger sans TCU and Baylor. Third, complete chaos, with oSu going to the SEC as Texas is rejected, Ku and TxT to the P12, or Ku dropping their juco football program for the Big East, TCU and Baylor going to the MWC, and the remainder to the AAC.
BYU Cincy and Houston add nothing. We’d be screwed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
100% Revamped Big 12 with less money and being regulated to a lower tier status. Not enough $$$ to pay Matt and his staff the $$$ they deserve. Because of this they will leave and Iowa State will never fully recover.

Essentially, what happened to UCONN will happen to ISU. This is what I'm expecting to happen based on the information / comments currently available.

But ISU/KSU/KU/OKSt have 120 years of playing major conference football

UConn and USF had like 5 years of being BCS Big East before they fell back to where they had just been.

It's similar in a way, but historically it's much more radical demotion.

Especially given that OK State and KSU proved beyond any doubt that they are easily in the top half of all FBS football programs over the past 30 years. Lucky ISU finally showed it can at least achieve that same thing the past few seasons. Maybe none of it will matter.

Reactions: surly

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
AAC stadiums...this entire youtube channel is great btw and as an outsider he loves JTS

ECU...much better stadium than I'd have guessed
Tulane...really meh, like minor league soccer
UCF...pretty meh for a new stadium
SMU...small but attractive
Houston...like a smaller asymmetrical JTS
Memphis...we all know this one well, cool stadium, problem is it's probably empty for games
Temple...an NFL stadium, again probably empty for games and it's not like ISU fans are going to drive to this one unlike Memphis (incredibly unlikely this is ever a conference stadium of ours)
Navy...cute and fun but small (again incredibly unlikely this is ever an ISU conference road game)
Cincy...bizzarre and small but I kind of like how weird it is
USF...another NFL stadium but this one actually could be part of a future conference
Tulsa...KU

As someone living in NC right now, ECU is a strange deal. Decently large state school. Nice facilities, huge fan support (you see ECU gear every day walking around in Raleigh). But, they just suck.

• Informative
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

I think perhaps the 2nd most likely outcome, that you didn’t include and I don’t blame you knowing your fandom, is the Pac-12 handpicking its 4 favorites and becoming the Pac-16. Tech, OSU, KU, and ISU would be most likely in my view. K-State and Baylor would have very little shot at this, absent KU and ISU going to the B1G first.

KSU, BU, and TCU (and maybe WVU depending on the ACC) would then end up in the American, or perhaps an American Plus under the Big 12 name.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
What you’re seeing here is the product of ESPN’s plan to whittle down the Big 12 to its point of weakness to snatch out TX/OU and make them think the little schools are to blame. They’ve been hammering on this narrative forever.
******* douche bags.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think perhaps the 2nd most likely outcome, that you didn’t include and I don’t blame you knowing your fandom, is the Pac-12 handpicking its 4 favorites and becoming the Pac-16. Tech, OSU, KU, and ISU would be most likely in my view. K-State and Baylor would have very little shot at this, absent KU and ISU going to the B1G first.

KSU, BU, and TCU (and maybe WVU depending on the ACC) would then end up in the American, or perhaps an American Plus under the Big 12 name.

Living out here on the west coast...the Pac 12 needs something.

Adding central time zone might suck for non football and basketball but it would help to add central time zone for those major sports.

What we saw in the NCAA tournamen this year was absolutely ridiculous. They showed out as probably the #1 conference but were seeded and selected as if they were the Missouri Valley or WCC.

I think your 4 teams make sense. Divisions would be actual Pacific coast 8, vs Az/AzSt/CO/Utah/OKst/ISU/KSU/Ttech

Right now it'd be pretty balanced for football. That's a lot of great athletic programs in the west division.

It's not like the Pac 12 is sitting in great position, they need a shakeup. The Big 12 wasn't in great position but was still raking in more $$$ and getting more national respect than they were.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron