Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Yes but not until after 2025 if the 8 remain, correct?

That’s more of a question of why would the ACC want WVU than the reverse. If the ACC said yes we will take you now even though you don’t own your TV rights until 2025, of course they would go.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

VERY doubtful this timing is a coincidence.

$40-$50M isn't all that much...basically lipstick on a pig. That might get them some additional VIP seating (smaller version of the Sukup)...but not much more. Hell, that's just a couple of additional restrooms, which the place desperately needs...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That’s more of a question of why would the ACC want WVU than the reverse. If the ACC said yes we will take you now even though you don’t own your TV rights until 2025, of course they would go.
Totally agree. I just don't see WV "leaving by paying an exit fee." I'd imagine their finances are somewhat close to ours.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It depends, if people think there's a risk that all conferences will dissolve and reset, then many schools will be every bit as worried or moreso than ISU. That includes a good chunk of the PAC, a few of the Big 10 (Iowa included) and several of the ACC.

The fact is 2019 and 2020 the gauge of popularity of teams (and thus ad value moving forward) for Iowa and Iowa State are about as similar as two teams can be.

Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, Minn, Northwestern, Oregon St., Colorado, Utah, Arizona, ASU, WSU, UCLA, Cal, BC, Wake, UVA, Syracuse to name a few don't stack up to Iowa or ISU when you look at a demonstration of willingness for people to seek out and pay for the product measured by TV viewership and attendance.

2019 Iowa was 20th in the nation in attendance, ISU was 21st. Here's a quick snapshot of a few teams I wanted to compare TV viewership to ISU:

View attachment 87546

Also, as someone shared yesterday, the Fox family of networks (Big 10, PAC, and Big 12) averaged 1.8 million including post season. If you took out the CCG games that would be around 1.6 million. ISUs avg viewership was 2.4 million for all games, 1.8 million for regular season. So that means ISUs viewership across the different networks was better than average among Big 12, Big 10 and PAC teams games on Fox.
@Halincandenza, you just keep disagreeing with my posts, many of which simply state published viewership and attendance data. I suggest if you disagree with that data take it up with the networks, sports business daily and the NCAA.

If you disagree that TV viewership drives ad data, or that ad data drives the value of a school to a media contract, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

All I've done is shown is no matter how you shake the data, many of these schools that are currently in the PAC, BIG, and ACC didn't deliver viewership like ISU did. That's not an opinion, that's simply knowing how to do division and being able to tell which number is bigger than the other.

• Haha
Reactions: Halincandenza

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Totally agree. I just don't see WV "leaving by paying an exit fee." I'd imagine their finances are somewhat close to ours.

If they got an invite, they could not afford to say no. Doesn’t matter what their finances are like. They would have to say yes for the $20M or more of increased funding. Same with us.

the GOR is going to slow all of this down from the conference side, not the school side

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009

God he’s a moron lol. Our stadium holds 60,000+ and we do it every game. We currently have larger stadiums than Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota and Northwestern. Some of them by a lot.

I may be out of the loop here but why are we roasting Pat here? It is not like he is wrong unless I am missing other context here.

Sure our football program has been good(great) recently but if you are expanding a conference you have to look beyond that. And yes there are other terrible programs there...

Im not saying we would be a bad odd just seems to be a scape goat for general frustration?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I may be out of the loop here but why are we roasting Pat here? It is not like he is wrong unless I am missing other context here.

Sure our football program has been good(great) recently but if you are expanding a conference you have to look beyond that. And yes there are other terrible programs there...

Im not saying we would be a bad odd just seems to be a scape goat for general frustration?
I was getting on him about the attendance part of his argument. That was pretty much it. We have a larger stadium than half the B1G and we’d likely expand it even more if we would move to that conference.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
I was getting on him about the attendance part of his argument. That was pretty much it. We have a larger stadium than half the B1G and we’d likely expand it even more if we would move to that conference.
Gotcha, wasnt calling you out. Just picked the first I saw :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Statefan10

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
@Halincandenza, you just keep disagreeing with my posts, many of which simply state published viewership and attendance data. I suggest if you disagree with that data take it up with the networks, sports business daily and the NCAA.

If you disagree that TV viewership drives ad data, or that ad data drives the value of a school to a media contract, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

All I've done is shown is no matter how you shake the data, many of these schools that are currently in the PAC, BIG, and ACC didn't deliver viewership like ISU did. That's not an opinion, that's simply knowing how to do division and being able to tell which number is bigger than the other.
ISU isn't driving national viewership. And attendance has nothing to do with any decision regarding whether a major conference will take ISU.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
ISU isn't driving national viewership. And attendance has nothing to do with any decision regarding whether a major conference will take ISU.
The latest viewership numbers would say you aren't really right. People have to stop thinking small time. ISU is becoming a darling at the moment.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

“Iowa State doesn’t have a brand and brings nothing.”

(Iowa State Football is the only sport and program highlighted in Disney’s commercial targeting streaming)

Also funny it’s a clip of us beating Texas. It’s towards the end of the video FWIW.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The latest viewership numbers would say you aren't really right. People have to stop thinking small time. ISU is becoming a darling at the moment.
No they don't. People obviously don't know what they are looking at or they have rose colored glasses on thinking that people around the country want to watch ISU.
What they say is that teams like Texas and OU draw huge numbers and that if you put games on major networks instead of FS1 or FS2 etc you get better viewership. Especially when the first few months of the season the college football inventory was low.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
No they don't. People obviously don't know what they are looking at or they have rose colored glasses on thinking that people around the country want to watch ISU.
What they say is that teams like Texas and OU draw huge numbers and that if you put games on major networks instead of FS1 or FS2 etc you get better viewership. Especially when the first few months of the season the college football inventory was low.
It's not just about what's happening today. It's about what a school can grow into over time. Getting out from under Texas & OUs shadow might be the best thing that ever happened to us long term.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Attendance, stadium capacity, and ticket sales totals are a much better indicator of who will buy streaming subscriptions than just looking at the population of a market.

We're in the transition where population matters less and actual eyeballs that will spend $ specifically on watching sports matters more. My concern for ISU is we're still 10-20 years from when actual eyeball subscribers becomes 90% of what matters.

That UCF blogger's story was utter nonsense. There is absolutely no way that nobody is going to AAC games in person when tickets are much cheaper and easy to get...yet more people are watching AAC football on TV. It just doesn't work that way. If SMU and UCF and Tulane had the same # of casual viewer TV fans, they'd be going to games in person when ticket prices are half of ISU prices and they can walk up on game day and easily buy one.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I saw 2 ISU clips? At TX from last year and at home in the blacks?
That 2nd one was us after beating WVU and making the CCG. 2 ISU clips and not a single other university or even sports team for that matter.

Help Support Us

Become a patron