Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
So that means any conversations ISU may or may not be having with another conference "can't happen" anymore?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So that means any conversations ISU may or may not be having with another conference "can't happen" anymore?

I don't think they technically can, though that obviously never stops anyone. This is saying that ESPN cannot contact individual schools and encourage them in their desired direction

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
No, it just means ESPN can’t talk with teams about realignment or other conferences. ESPN also can’t discuss with other conferences about Big 12 teams. This is all assuming the cease and desist letter is enforceable, which is a stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Most interesting open question is whether this is about UT and OU (seems unlikely since there is nothing for ESPN to cease or desist about) or if ESPN is working to get 1 or more of the 8 leftovers into a different conference. Since it owns ACC rights, the most obvious guess is WVU there as a #16 package with Notre Dame.

• Informative

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
To me, the cease and desist means that the other 8 are having a tough time finding another home. If they were going to move, ESPN would HAVE to be involved in those negotiations and they basically just told ESPN they'd sue if ESPN keeps it up.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Most interesting open question is whether this is about UT and OU (seems unlikely since there is nothing for ESPN to cease or desist about) or if ESPN is working to get 1 or more of the 8 leftovers into a different conference. Since it owns ACC rights, the most obvious guess is WVU there as a #16 package with Notre Dame.
It has everything to do with UT and OU and the SEC (which has an ESPN contract starting soon).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So can UT and OU just buy out their contacts with the Big 12? Like they could buy it out and be in the SEC next year (2022)?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
To me, the cease and desist means that the other 8 are having a tough time finding another home. If they were going to move, ESPN would HAVE to be involved in those negotiations and they basically just told ESPN they'd sue if ESPN keeps it up.

You're reading an awful lot into that, when it almost certainly means that ESPN contacted a member institution (or institutions) to try to steer them in a certain direction (whether that institution reported it to the Big 12 or someone found out about it).

Reactions: CloneOutWest

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
He knows the difference between the teams and knows the conferences, but it was a real pull to think of the town of Ames.

Why would even a big college football fan know much about Iowa State before the last 2 years? You would know what conference they are in and that they haven't been historically good.
I admit sometimes I forget which towns Ole Miss and Miss St are in. But they're not in an adjacent state. You'd think even a casual fan of a B1G team would notice bylines of ISU/Iowa game stories over the last 40 plus years.
I admit I'm a bit of a geography nerd so it seems very odd not to know Ames is ISU

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Being realistic doesn't seem like shitting on ISU at all.

One Fiesta Bowl. 9-3 with a loss to Louisiana. That is the top of the resume. Good fans, maybe great. KU had a 12-1 season and they are the worst program out there.

The guy across the office from me can tell me the starting O-line for any Wisconsin Badger team since 2000 and had to ask if Iowa State was in Ames. I don't think that the people who say that some posters on here overvalue ISU are off at all.
That 12-1 KU team also did not play UT or OU that year. Go back and look at the Mac years when the Big 12 was split into North and South. Only two teams had the 2 on 2 off with OU and UT, that was KU and ISU.
It was an EIU type of championship where they did not play the best teams from the other side of the conference.

• Informative
Reactions: frackincygy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
So can UT and OU just buy out their contacts with the Big 12? Like they could buy it out and be in the SEC next year (2022)?

Yes, they could (I think the price tag is somewhere around $70 million each?). I think everyone is posturing to make that as high or as low as possible, depending on which side they're on.

• Informative

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
No, it just means ESPN can’t talk with teams about realignment or other conferences. ESPN also can’t discuss with other conferences about Big 12 teams. This is all assuming the cease and desist letter is enforceable, which is a stretch.
I am struggling to understand what this gains the Big 12. The damage is already done. It's not like this would void Texas and OU going to the SEC. Those talks already happened.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
if i had to guess the leftovers are joining an alliance to get espn to help launch wild country, we are going after much more than GOR money, this could be RICO level infractions

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I am struggling to understand what this gains the Big 12. The damage is already done. It's not like this would void Texas and OU going to the SEC. Those talks already happened.
ESPN's money. Basically, the Big 12 is saying ESPN is communicating with members about possible values and payouts in the event of realignment which will damage the value of the Big 12. And the Big 12 is correct. They are setting up a lawsuit.

Reactions: Kurttr and Lewey24

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Won’t happen but I would love to hear OU or TX officials take on the cease and desist letter…

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron