Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
So can UT and OU just buy out their contacts with the Big 12? Like they could buy it out and be in the SEC next year (2022)?
Of course, money can make both sides happy. But it goes beyond the 'penalty'. This is about litigation. Which, IMO, is already being flirted with on a very large scale. That, too, can 'settle'. It all depends on the credibility of the accusations.

Reactions: Statefan10

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'll give it a shot again. Maybe along with the money OU/UT will pay for early out............maybe the "8" found out some info and figured the punitive/damage part should be laid at the feet of ESPN. Which might be much easier to prove harm. Because OU/UT have not by definition left yet. They could play it out until 2025 if the conference so allows. Which If I understand the conference can dump them right now while still retaining their media rights until 2025. Maybe I'm wrong.

Now after the dust settles this doesn't address where ISU will be playing football. If I'm a betting man it will either be a re-vamped Big 12 with 2-4 new members......or the Big 10.
All this buys time and ability to either reposition the conference OR dissolve it efficiently into other P4s.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Being realistic doesn't seem like shitting on ISU at all.

One Fiesta Bowl. 9-3 with a loss to Louisiana. That is the top of the resume. Good fans, maybe great. KU had a 12-1 season and they are the worst program out there.

The guy across the office from me can tell me the starting O-line for any Wisconsin Badger team since 2000 and had to ask if Iowa State was in Ames. I don't think that the people who say that some posters on here overvalue ISU are off at all.
I think you can easily look at this the other way. ISU is doing well in viewership, attendance and other metrics while just scratching the surface of what’s possible. This isn’t your grandpa’s Iowa State institutionally or athletically. This program has potential that it only needs continued time and resources to realize. Imagine what this program could be after another decade.

Additionally, KU won’t stay bad forever if they remain P5. They are having one of the worst runs in college football history and are incredibly still in the top 30 in revenue. We don’t know if the right people are in place, but poor facilities, bad luck and even incompetence usually don’t last forever.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Kansas has to notify its regents before engaging in realignment talk. I’d bet that they did so with ESPN trying to connect them and WVU to the ACC and the news got to someone affiliated with K-State, who told Bowlsby immediately.

the fact that the Big 12 sent this only to ESPN, and not ESPN and FOX, probably means this is about the ACC and not the B1G or Pac-12.

• Agree
Reactions: isuno1fan

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I have to believe that OU and Texas will put pressure on the SEC to bring over at least 2 more Big 12 teams. Otherwise, we may not see any of the other P4 conferences take action to expand. And that means the Big 12 will focus 100% of their attention on a lawsuit against OU and Texas

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: tzjung and Cloneon

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have to believe that OU and Texas will put pressure on the SEC to bring over at least 2 more Big 12 teams. Otherwise, we may not see any of the other P4 conferences take action to expand. And that means the Big 12 will focus 100% of their attention on a lawsuit against OU and Texas
I don't see that happening.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79 and MeanDean

Hestia_Abnegation11

Oct 29, 2017
Kansas has to notify its regents before engaging in realignment talk. I’d bet that they did so with ESPN trying to connect them and WVU to the ACC and the news got to someone affiliated with K-State, who told Bowlsby immediately.

the fact that the Big 12 sent this only to ESPN, and not ESPN and FOX, probably means this is about the ACC and not the B1G or Pac-12.
K-State has every reason to be a part of this. Good for Bowlsby. Get us some coin! :p

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why would WVU or KU say something? If it's ACC obviously both would stand to benefit by joining. Someone didn't want this to happen and reported it to the Big 12. Makes me wonder...obviously could be a lower tier person in those universities but I don't know.
Because the bylaws require you to inform the other members within 12 hours and they don't want to be caught up in a lawsuit like Texas and OU will be over the same thing?

• Winner
Reactions: ClonesInDallas