Yes it needs its own thread… Mad Fran

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The only thing I'll disagree with is that when Campbell freaks out.... it almost always is an obvious call/no call that was blatantly called/missed. The replay shows that it was plain as day that Campbell was right.

The majority of times Fran freaks out... nobody really knows why... or the replay shows he's not correct.

Also... Fran has gone a little further sometimes by tossing a laptop, or a chair, etc.

I’ll counter with, Campbell doesn’t have access those things to throw, but he has chucked his headset before which is as close as you can get as a football coach. Also Frans freak out the other day was a completely missed call (10 seconds in the backcourt). I’ll be honest, I don’t watch Iowa pretty much at all so I don’t know if his freak outs are justified, but it seems like if you ask Hawkeye fans they will say they are because of bad calls, just like how many of us defend Campbell.

Their personalities are not as much of a difference as some would like to make it out to be.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
He wanted to get tossed. The worst part was he didn't get the reaction from the ref he wanted, so he stepped closer hoping to get him to bite. It's 14 year old behavior from a guy making almost $3mill a year.
He wasn't trying to get tossed. He could have easily got tossed after he got the T if he would have pushed it further.

He's a smart ***. If you watch how he got the T he just stood there and must have said something the ref didn't like. Meanwhile Izzo is allowed to cry and run around like and idiot but nothing ever happens.

This was more of a " Ok, you want to T me up for that , next time I'll just stand here and not say a word".

Reactions: shadow

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I largely agree with most everything said in this thread about Fran, CMC, and CPR losing their minds in bad ways. I will also say that I thought Fran's stare down was funny especially after both him and the ref walked closer to each other.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
You see I disagree. I’m not an Iowa fan persay but I have a tremendous amount of admiration for Fran McCaffery. He gets a lot of disdain much like your Bobby Knight’s, your Bobby Huggins, your Bill Self’s, but his moxie and passion is just contagiously drawn to. I like him.
Ur a dope to fall for that ****....

Reactions: CyDude16

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
This is a good point. I referee and have had lots of times where a coach will want one. Sometimes you oblige. Others not. The first impression you get is why the ref wouldn't just whack him even it would have been
his second. But if he's wanting one then maybe you don't because you know he's playing a game. I don't know what his supervisor will say to him but quite honestly I give the ref a compliment for not busting out laughing.
I agree. Fran probably wanted to get the tech. By not giving him what he wanted, it just made him look like the buffoon he

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I'm curious what Iowa basketball looks like when the McKiddos are gone. Will teams not led by his own kids want to play for him?

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
People who disagree with this won’t take off Cyclone tinted glasses.

It’s the same thing, the only reason Campbells freak outs aren’t talked about more, is because it’s not right in front of you like basketball is. The fact that Campbell has had multiple freak outs get any attention is telling.

That being said, however, I love him as a coach. Probably the same reasons Hawkeye fans love Fran.
False analogy. Coach Campbell is fighting a lot of things. You need to know the history. Mad Fran does not know history.

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Such as? You don’t think other fan bases have perceived history of poor officiating? Every team thinks they get screwed by officials. Even the blue bloods complain every once in a while.
Nice try. Long,long list over years.

• Dumb
Reactions: JD720

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Such as? You don’t think other fan bases have perceived history of poor officiating? Every team thinks they get screwed by officials. Even the blue bloods complain every once in a while.
have you been under a rock? You want a list? 3 picked up flags at KSU that any one of them would have ended that game. The PI on a 2 pt conversion that if called we probably would have won at OU, the bogus targeting calls on our players that have gotten the thrown out of games, the missed blatant offensive PI on Vandeburg that if called would have probably would have done Iowa in (2017), the ghost hold on our right tackle that nullified a first down in FG range with 2 minutes left against Iowa (2019)

• Dumb
Reactions: JD720

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
have you been under a rock? You want a list? 3 picked up flags at KSU that any one of them would have ended that game. The PI on a 2 pt conversion that if called we probably would have won at OU, the bogus targeting calls on our players that have gotten the thrown out of games, the missed blatant offensive PI on Vandeburg that if called would have probably would have done Iowa in (2017), the ghost hold on our right tackle that nullified a first down in FG range with 2 minutes left against Iowa (2019)
Nice try. Long,long list over years.

Maybe you should get out from under a rock and realize this is not an Iowa State specific problem. I am fully aware of the times Iowa State got the short end of the stick, but these don’t even hit a top 10 list on a national scale of missed/blown calls that cost games. Every single program has games where a blown call could have changed the outcome of the game. This doesn’t change the fact that Campbell, like Fran act like psychos at times.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’ll counter with, Campbell doesn’t have access those things to throw, but he has chucked his headset before which is as close as you can get as a football coach. Also Frans freak out the other day was a completely missed call (10 seconds in the backcourt). I’ll be honest, I don’t watch Iowa pretty much at all so I don’t know if his freak outs are justified, but it seems like if you ask Hawkeye fans they will say they are because of bad calls, just like how many of us defend Campbell.

Their personalities are not as much of a difference as some would like to make it out to be.

CMC doesn't lunge at officials like it's WWE.

Reactions: CyNews

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

CMC doesn't lunge at officials like it's WWE.
Nor does he chase them off the court/field into the locker rooms.etc., screaming at them calling them "Cheating *************". Nor does his behavior rise to the level that the AD has to suspend him. Don't paint them with the same overly broad brush. There are distinctions.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Thank you for some of the list. It is exhausting and I appreciate your efforts.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nor does he chase them off the court/field into the locker rooms.etc., screaming at them calling them "Cheating *************". Nor does his behavior rise to the level that the AD has to suspend him. Don't paint them with the same overly broad brush. There are distinctions.

CMC's is known more for making ISU consistently decent at football more than his sideline rants.

Fran is known for his and his players' behaviors more than his teams' play/accomplishments.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
You see I disagree. I’m not an Iowa fan persay but I have a tremendous amount of admiration for Fran McCaffery. He gets a lot of disdain much like your Bobby Knight’s, your Bobby Huggins, your Bill Self’s, but his moxie and passion is just contagiously drawn to. I like him.

All the disdain, none of the tournament success

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
CMC's is known more for making ISU consistently decent at football more than his sideline rants.

Fran is known for his and his players' behaviors more than his teams' play/accomplishments.

Let’s put it this way, if Campbell was a Hawkeye coach, we would be making fun of him and calling him a psycho. The only reason we don’t, is because he is our guy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Mentioning Fran in the same arena as these coaches like that's a valid comparison when you look at what those coaches actually have done in basketball.

Bravo.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Let’s put it this way, if Campbell was a Hawkeye coach, we would be making fun of him and calling him a psycho. The only reason we don’t, is because he is our guy.

If CMC had several games where he got tossed, was suspended by his own AD for the same behavior and had a decade of players starting fights etc. during games other fanbases would be justified with thinking it's wrong for him to be able to coach.