*** Official Iowa vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The good thing is the CF staff will pick us to win 6 or 7 more games. So that’s nice.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Zero penalties on Iowa?

the one hold they called we declined because we blew them up even though they were holding.

They held super obviously deep in their own territory on 3rd and long of the drive they scored their final points. If you want to look at officiating that was by far the play, was a no doubter, not a judgement thing like letting all the PI go both ways. The hold was the only reason Orange didn’t crush him and force 4th and very long.

• Winner
Reactions: Cardinal2001

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I literally was thinking in my head "they are just going to run up the middle, aren't they". Most predictable play of the day and there were a lot of predictable plays.
I thought the entire drive they'd run it, to be honest. I don't want to make a joke about some recent events in the program but....

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
He needs to figure this offense out fast. People are getting real tired of this and I really don't want this to keep going downhill.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Well, this is what most of us expected after the gambling decimated our team. Although, hauling in about 10 catchable drops might have made this game competitive. But, we are who we are. And yes, play calling and lack of any hurry-up offense really held us back.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I think the frustration for me is we are 2-3 dumb plays a way that lose the game and it’s happenning 7 or more games a year.

Missed field goals
Pick 6
Dropped passes
Defense giving up one huge play.

Holding them to 13 points is really good. Especially with 7 of that coming from a questionable penalty

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I truly don't think CMC is smart enough.
I don’t either. He has always been a rah rah coach. The X’s and O’s, particularly on offense, are subpar.

Our overarching schemes are so low level. As others have said - “Mickey Mouse”
Our clock management is beyond explanation
Our play designs, and consistently in play calling and flow from week to week, is comically confusing.

It look skill position NFL players to make the offense reasonably effective, at times.

This is all on the head coach.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
You knew it was coming too. Once it was 4th down I turned to everyone here and said “run up the middle for the loss.”

They definitely thought they were being smart by running. "Iowa will never expect this!" 100% guaranteed but they saw it from 100 miles away. Especially the last quarter was horrible play calling. We got lucky with that TD too. Awesome catch but 8 times out of 10 that's dropped.

Honestly this was Campbell's plan. Score, then do a 3 and out with 2 minutes left and somehow score again. Even though the offense couldn't get going all game.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I think the frustration for me is we are 2-3 dumb plays a way that lose the game and it’s happenning 7 or more games a year.

Missed field goals
Pick 6
Dropped passes
Defense giving up one huge play.

Holding them to 13 points is really good. Especially with 7 of that coming from a questionable penalty
Margins, a thing Campbell likes to say but we haven't seen in 3 years. You take away 1-2 of those, we likely have an entirely different game.

Reactions: isufanz1

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Oh yeah and what else is frustrating is Iowa just crossed off one of its 3 hardest games from the list. They are not losing more than 2 games with that jv schedule
Yep, they will be playing in the Big Ten championship and they will somehow average 24 points a game in doing so!

Reactions: Jer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
winning football games is not predicated on their success 30 years ago. Quit being a loser and quit accepting this garbage

Success 30 years ago?

The CMC era has been one of the most successful almost decades in ISU history.

I said in some other thread that ISU was being overestimated from last week and the opposite for Iowa.

This thread and takes like your own only prove that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't know why he thinks we have unlimited possessions. That first drive of the second half you have to have some new wrinkle to show them and we did nothing.

Entire 1st half was a joke. The dramatic conservatism doesn't stop mistakes. You are never going to okay a mistake free game and that's what he expects the offense to do.

It's college football, you have to score sone points.

This exactly.

If super conservative play calling resulted in no negative yardage plays or drops on the 3rd and 8 it always creates I’d be all about it.

cincinnaticyclone

Nov 29, 2016
Success 30 years ago?

The CMC era has been one of the most successful almost decades in ISU history.

I said in some other thread that ISU was being overestimated from last week and the opposite for Iowa.

This thread and takes like your own only prove that.
You’re proving my point for me

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know ISU declined one of their penalties

The one penalty was a play we dropped them for a loss anyway.

The one turnover wasn’t that different than the punt that would have followed the next play.

Maybe tough break, that’s how it happens sometimes. Certainly were a lot of other plays where a turnover or penalty would have helped a lot more.