Shoutout Rocco Becht

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
To clarify, I dont think Rocco is trending towards being on an all Big 12 team or an elite QB or whatever

But holy ****. If we're naming the issues on offense he's near last on that list. At least he's playing with some gut and isn't afraid to try and make a play. Almost all of the other players on the unit could learn a lesson from him there

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Rocco is a quality game manager and would do very well with better skill players. A great RB, a great WR, something like that which needs respected by the defense would open Rocco's game up for bigger plays.

The problem is, absent a great player, a game manager will not win you games. A game manager QB is not going to carry the team. Our offense sucks so bad that we need a QB who can carry the team. From what I've seen so far, Rocco isn't that guy. JJ didn't look like it against UNI either. It looks to me like we don't have a QB on roster who is able to carry hard enough to mask the rest of the offense's failures.

I can understand the Hunter bits somewhat since we had him throwing 35-40 times a game last year (due to how unbelievably bad our run game was...sound familiar?). That ship has sailed since that dumbass couldn't realize betting on his own games is a bad idea. I don't see Rocco being a 35 passes a game (and winning) guy, either. We're stuck in a real bad spot.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I will stand by this statement until I see something to change my mind.... Noel plays scared. He's a very talented guy, but he's not tough enough to play the game of football IMO. He is afraid to get hit and take contact. And you can't be successful at this game playing that way.
Stanley played awesome yesterday, he deserves to start next week.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Someone mad because a 20 yo made a mistake but wasn’t he 3-0 vs these opponents last year FCS, Iowa and Ohio?
What would Dekkers have done without the best WR in program history behind an even worse OL than last year and even less of a running game than last year?

Anyone begging for Dekkers back totally forgot what happened when people got tape on him. He wasn't throwing deep bombs to guys for 50 yards every possesion in conference play

• Winner
Reactions: stuclone

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Rocco has played pretty well and I like him, but the biggest play in yesterday’s game may have been right after he threw a beautiful strike to Bitter deep on the left hash for about 50 yards, he then missed Brahmer WIDE open down the right sideline for a TD. Looked like the same play as the UNI score where Brahmer was 10 yards behind the defender and Rocco overthrew him by a lot.

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
What would Dekkers have done without the best WR in program history behind an even worse OL than last year and even less of a running game than last year?

Anyone begging for Dekkers back totally forgot what happened when people got tape on him. He wasn't throwing deep bombs to guys for 50 yards every possesion in conference play
We will never know. He has way more talent than Rocco. Because players never improve of course. I never said I was begging for him back. Gave an opinion and you got in your feelings.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ok?? Clearly I am idiot thinking Rocco is not a quality Power 5 QB? Come on, you have a QB who is one of the highest rated recruits in the history of ISU sitting on the bench to a RS Freshman QB who was recruited by nobody any just lost to a MAC team While scoring 7 points??? Do you people even want to win FB games. Becht can’t beat Ohio, what makes you think he can beat Big 12 level competition?? I don’t get it?? Unless Kohl is an an absolute fraud, not sure how he is not featured going forward??
It wasn't Becht, it's the scheme and play calling. They have had training wheels on him for the past three weeks. It's so easy to defend what we are doing. Clog the middle and run umbrella coverage.

Rocco has played pretty well and I like him, but the biggest play in yesterday’s game may have been right after he threw a beautiful strike to Bitter deep on the left hash for about 50 yards, he then missed Brahmer WIDE open down the right sideline for a TD. Looked like the same play as the UNI score where Brahmer was 10 yards behind the defender and Rocco overthrew him by a lot.
Brahmer was held and lost a step or two. No call of course but it wasn't a bad throw if he doesn't get held.

• Winner
Reactions: amishclone

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
We will never know. He has way more talent than Rocco. Because players never improve of course. I never said I was begging for him back. Gave an opinion and you got in your feelings.
Im not the one stanning for a guy who isnt even here anymore but sure.

Talent only matters if you have the mental strength to use it. That's why Dekkers failed here

• Agree
Reactions: Aduhbolu15

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
True freshman who can be a head case playing behind that OL with that running game, those WRs, with that scheme? Whats the worst that can happen?

Jaylin Noel, Easton Dean, Hunter Dekkers, Sean Shaw. The amount of total busts on offense we've had who the coaches hyped to death are never ending. Not to mention every OL player we've ever had with even a drop of buzz

Getting owned by a MAC team? Lol.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I’m so glad when we got up 30-0 against UNI we called off the dogs on offense instead of actually using that time to have some in-game practice with such a young offense and freshman quarterback. Clearly we had mastered the art of offense and we didn’t want to show anything for future opponents. It’s worked great for us the last two games.

• Winner
Reactions: amishclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m so glad when we got up 30-0 against UNI we called off the dogs on offense instead of actually using that time to have some in-game practice with such a young offense and freshman quarterback. Clearly we had mastered the art of offense and we didn’t want to show anything for future opponents. It’s worked great for us the last two games.

I would guess it wouldn't matter.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Nobody can win with our offense. The play calling prevents that. Don't be surprised if Anthony Becht talks Rocco into transferring out. I would probably be more surprised if that didn't happen. The chances of playing in the NFL would be higher at pretty much any other school.

Kohl looked terrible against uni.... let him redshirt this year and give him a chance to adjust to the college game.
He didn't look bad, the system he is in did.
If anyone thinks the coaches are going to let Kohl even try to throw the ball downfield when they won’t let Rocco is kidding themselves. They don’t need to play Kohl, they need to let Rocco throw the ball downfield. He showed he can do it. Anyone that says he needs to be benched because of today’s loss either didn’t watch the game, doesn’t know what they saw, or has an agenda.
Good point. And it's entirely possible that both Kohl and Becht transfer out next year. I'd actually be surprissed if either stays. Unless ISU's offensive philosophy changes fairly soon.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I find it interesting this is even a conversation ....either Rocco or Kohl will transfer. This isn't up for debate. This isn't a statement on either one, but neither of them is sitting for 3 years.

I doubt Campbell, who will be fighting for his job, is going to tell the legacy, local, 6'7 kid that he can't play here unless Kohl is just awful or Rocco is the second coming of Drew Brees. He will never recruit another in state guy again if kohl transfers. It's just not going to happen.

We can analyze Rocco all we want, unless he's amazing odds are he will transfer. He will play this year and then he's likely gone, I find all of this conversation a waste of time honestly. He's here to hold the fort down till Kohl is ready most likely.

Rocco isn't the problem, seems like a great kid and I really like him, but unless he is just freaking head and shoulders above kohl, or kohl gets hurt, he really has no future here. Not his fault, just the way it worked out.

• Useful
Reactions: stateofmind

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I find it interesting this is even a conversation ....either Rocco or Kohl will transfer. This isn't up for debate. This isn't a statement on either one, but neither of them is sitting for 3 years.

I doubt Campbell, who will be fighting for his job, is going to tell the legacy, local, 6'7 kid that he can't play here unless Kohl is just awful or Rocco is the second coming of Drew Brees. He will never recruit another in state guy again if kohl transfers. It's just not going to happen.

We can analyze Rocco all we want, unless he's amazing odds are he will transfer. He will play this year and then he's likely gone, I find all of this conversation a waste of time honestly. He's here to hold the fort down till Kohl is ready most likely.

Rocco isn't the problem, seems like a great kid and I really like him, but unless he is just freaking head and shoulders above kohl, or kohl gets hurt, he really has no future here. Not his fault, just the way it worked out.

If Kohl's really that good wouldn't he just bounce to somewhere better regardless if he's playing now or not?