*** Official IOWA STATE vs #19 Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Rocco had me nervous running around a bit before going down.
My eldest son tells me ISU set the NCAA record for average yards / play, though they dropped the average by a yard with those Rocco losses. Has anyone else seen this as confirmed, namely the yards / play component?

Reactions: CyNews

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My eldest son tells me ISU set the NCAA record for average yards / play, though they dropped the average by a yard with those Rocco losses. Has anyone else seen this as confirmed, namely the yards / play component?

Probably. They lost 9 yards on the last possession. Was tied 497 for both teams, ISU ended with 488.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm sure it has nothing to do with how young the team is

Running the ball up the middle 50 times for a 0.6 yard average is just as bad as turning it over on purpose. That was Ohio/Iowa game strategy. Nothing “safe” about putting young players in that position.

I’m glad they turned it around but there’s no disguising the game plan in those games was crap. We even flirted with it for first half of KU game.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Running the ball up the middle 50 times for a 0.6 yard average is just as bad as turning it over on purpose. That was Ohio/Iowa game strategy. Nothing “safe” about putting young players in that position.

I’m glad they turned it around but there’s no disguising the game plan in those games was crap. We even flirted with it for first half of KU game.
What we’re the plays that sprung against KSU? We’re the play calls different or was there better execution?

Reactions: besserheimerphat

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

ISU threw the ball 44 times against Iowa.

If ISU comes out vertical early in both games, the opponent adjusts, and ISU doesn't have answers.

KU had well timed stunts that screwed everything up for ISU. Perhaps shorter passes to receivers sitting in pockets helps but the timing was still going to be messed up. ISU was pretty sloppy all over that night for whatever reason while KU was crisp.

Reactions: MJ271

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

If Sama breaks runs for 77, 79 and 60 yard TDs against Iowa are you still here complaining about the decision to run the ball?