*** Official IOWA STATE vs #19 Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
i don’t know where else to put this but I’m seeing this comp everywhere. Didn’t Purdy not really start the entire season his freshman year? He didn’t really come in until conference games?

Came in game 5 at OSU.

They're really not comparable on who they had around them either.

Butler and David Montgomery would be nice to have around to start your career.

Reactions: Dgilbertson

Mar 21, 2021
Here is the game, condensed into 53 minutes:
Play of the game at 47:57 in....

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I was curious this morning, so I did some quick match. If you remove our big plays, the 5 plays that went for a TD over 60 yards, our offense only moved the ball 119 yards. We had the ball 13 total times on offense, so remove those 5 plays from the total and that means on our 8 other drives, we only moved the ball 119 yards, or averaged 14-15 yards per drive. So while KSU was able to move the ball very well and consistently in the weather, we weren't really able to.
How do you know that? Take a look at the first TD. FS sold out and got rolled at LOS and it was a foot race to the goal line. If they stay back we're just as likely to carve them up in smaller chucks.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's a bad take. Honestly a really bad take. On twitter there were a bunch of complaints about not "winning in the trenches" so I went back and re-watched the game.

The fact of the matter is that both offenses dominated the defensive lines. In a game where traction is a major challenge, this is to be expected. Defense has to react to pressure, reaction is going to be a tough ask when you can't always get your cleats in the ground.

Kansas State punted 5 times, 1 INT and 1 turnover on downs. We punted 4 and had 1 fumbled on offense. Those are "stops". If you include stopping Kansas State and making them kick field goals that would be 9 total stops versus their 5.

It FELT like Kansas State was dominating because of time of possession. What was really happening is that Iowa State was preventing the big play and making KSU march down the field. Eventually they did make a mistake (the INT). In a game like that, you take that every time.

Would ISU like to have possessed the ball longer on offense? Of course. But that's difficult to do when you have 5 plays that are designed for 5-15 yards that go for 60 plus. The only "intentional" long TD play was the shortest of the night! (33 yards to Higgens).

Also, please don't forget that KSU was supposed to be one of our toughest tests regarding line play. I'd rank them (coming in) right up there with Iowa but behind Texas.

Putting up nearly 500 yards of offense, 42 points and punting a total of 4 times is not "unable to move the ball".
One other thing I can add per your second paragraph and traction. You are correct but I will add that Dlinemen are taught to go to the ground and make a pile if you realize you have lost the match up. When you have a couple inches of snow on the ground, F that. You may do that once but after dig the snow out of your helmet and wait to get to the sidelines to empty it out of your girdle/pants, you ain’t doing that again.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Rewatching right now and what stands out is how the snow insulated the sound to have really good acoustics.

You can hear the sidelines, player communication more than usual and the crowd sounds crazy loud.

I think history will be great for this game as one of the most fun in a long time.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Came in game 5 at OSU.

Brock played 9 games his freshman year including the bowl.
Per game stats are a better reflection I think:
BP 250 ypg
1.78 TDs/gm
.78 INT/gm

RB 222 ypg
1.67 TDs/gm
.67 INT
Brock had a lot of veterans around him where Rocco had all stud underclassmen.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Just came here to say, if this game doesn’t go down into Iowa State lore as the Samageddon game, I think we’re all missing an opportunity

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Brock played 9 games his freshman year including the bowl.
Per game stats are a better reflection I think:
BP 250 ypg
1.78 TDs/gm
.78 INT/gm

RB 222 ypg
1.67 TDs/gm
.67 INT
Brock had a lot of veterans around him where Rocco had all stud underclassmen.

Are you only counting the 9 games he played? He technically played in some mop up type of duty or late game situation at some point in case that factors into the 'per game' piece.

Otherwise they're pretty close.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Are you only counting the 9 games he played? He technically played in some mop up type of duty or late game situation at some point in case that factors into the 'per game' piece.

Otherwise they're pretty close.
I went with significant QB in the game.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just came here to say, if this game doesn’t go down into Iowa State lore as the Samageddon game, I think we’re all missing an opportunity
SamaBama! I hope he stays with us. He might have some more NIL elsewhere, but he's the next Breece, Will Mac, Tampa.

He going NFL. Is that enough? I hope our NIL is enough.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Came in game 5 at OSU.

Yep, so didn't start until Game 6. Purdy started one-half season, Becht an entire season.

Love 'em both, but statistical comparisons are apples and oranges.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
How do you know that? Take a look at the first TD. FS sold out and got rolled at LOS and it was a foot race to the goal line. If they stay back we're just as likely to carve them up in smaller chucks.
Remove our big plays, we lose 35-0.

What is the validity of removing our big plays? They happened. KSU would love it if you removed our big plays, but that doesn't tell the story. What value does it have if you remove our big plays?