Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
A spot like this would do really well in an entertainment district centered around sports...

The Athletic Club in Coralville that @Messi mentioned a similar vibe though Let It Fly is a bit of a larger operation. Sports centric, beer, simple yet classic bar food and appetizer options is all you need. Let It Fly is a chain but a little more unique than adding in a Buffalo Wild Wings or something like that.

I think they should add one of these on top of a West O Brew/Pub that might have more limited food options.
whoever leases space should be well established and equipped to handle the rush of a gameday crowd

having a newbie in there is only asking for failure, imo

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Our non-con was a joke because of how many horrible teams we played

We can play MAC level teams and avoid that, without materially increasing odds of more losses

Was that intentional to manipulate NET?
This is dumb because a tomato can buy game is a tomato can buy game and no value about the quality of a top twenty team can be determined by the difference between beating #325 by 30 and #250 by 25. The committee just fails in weighing that in the way they do.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
ISU was a 2 seed, not sure why fans expected otherwise. Sure, a few writers looking for clicks were pushing the 1 seed, but that wasn't realistic. The committee values winning the 18 or 20 game Conference title over a 3 game Tournament.

I also seem to recall a number of Cyclone fans complaining about how weak our non-schedule was last summer. I'm not surprised the Selection Committee didn't view playing a number of sub 250 Net schools as a positive differentiator in seeding.

I am not being critical of our non-con schedule. It was the right move by TJ based on our roster turnover. But with our returning roster for next season, I would expect TJ to upgrade our buy games. I am also a believer that ISU should schedule UNI or Drake every year in Hilton. The buy might be lower since their travel costs would be minimal. If those schools aren't interested, so be it.
1 seed wasn't likely, but it was realistic given how the last weekend played out. You're wrong. The committee doesn't value conference games, whether it's the conference season or postseason tournament. Those games are only there to support positive/negative conclusions made from nonconference games.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
whoever leases space should be well established and equipped to handle the rush of a gameday crowd

having a newbie in there is only asking for failure, imo

I forget, is CyTown's entertainment/food/etc. type businesses scheduled to be done for this upcoming football season? If so, even with more excitement around this season North Dakota and Arkansas State home crowds will be better warm up runs than the madness of UNI or CyHawk weekends.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Agreed. That was mu biggest takeaway this season. Conference games mean almost nothing unless you're on the bubble.

It's an absurd way to determine seeding in a sport that has a long season with injuries, evolving teams, and spends 3 months in conference play, but that's what they've told us. Nonconference games in November are more important than conference games in March, and in some cases, all that matters is you played those games, not whether you won or lost.
This seems like an overreaction. Based on our season..our conference schedule/results made us a 2 seed not our noncon. If what you say about them not mattering then we would have had a much worse seed.

Two things can matter: conference schedule and non conference schedule. Idk why this is such a debatable topic.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
ISU was a 2 seed, not sure why fans expected otherwise. Sure, a few writers looking for clicks were pushing the 1 seed, but that wasn't realistic. The committee values winning the 18 or 20 game Conference title over a 3 game Tournament.

I also seem to recall a number of Cyclone fans complaining about how weak our non-schedule was last summer. I'm not surprised the Selection Committee didn't view playing a number of sub 250 Net schools as a positive differentiator in seeding.

I am not being critical of our non-con schedule. It was the right move by TJ based on our roster turnover. But with our returning roster for next season, I would expect TJ to upgrade our buy games. I am also a believer that ISU should schedule UNI or Drake every year in Hilton. The buy might be lower since their travel costs would be minimal. If those schools aren't interested, so be it.

1.) All of the metrics showed that Iowa State was either the best 2 seed or the final 1 seed. Don't tell me it doesn't matter because we got a 2, UCONN and Purdue are walked to the Final Four with 4 home games.

2.) There is almost no difference between a 175 ranked team or 350. Those are all buy games and the fact that the committee treats them differently is pretty dumb. Schools can't control where those teams fall Q3 or Q4 wise at the end of the season so scheduling those games can be a complete crap shoot.

3.) We have Maui, Iowa, and a higher level Big East team next year. We don't need to do anything else to boost our non con SOS.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This is dumb because a tomato can buy game is a tomato can buy game and no value about the quality of a top twenty team can be determined by the difference between beating #325 by 30 and #250 by 25. The committee just fails in weighing that in the way they do.
No, not all buy games are the same

Just as you can manipulate NET, you can manipulate noncon SOS.

There are buy games that sink your SOS and there are buy games that just lower it

Avoid having an outlier SOS in which it’s easy to point to, and in particular, avoid having your AD boasting about how you intentionally have a very bad SOS so you can manipulate NET, giving the committee an incentive to make an example out of you

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
No, not all buy games are the same

Just as you can manipulate NET, you can manipulate noncon SOS.

There are buy games that sink your SOS and there are buy games that just lower it

Avoid having an outlier SOS in which it’s easy to point to, and in particular, avoid having your AD boasting about how you intentionally have a very bad SOS do you can manipulate SOS, giving the committee an incentive to make an example out of you

Well, there is that.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This seems like an overreaction. Based on our season..our conference schedule/results made us a 2 seed not our noncon. If what you say about them not mattering then we would have had a much worse seed.

Two things can matter: conference schedule and non conference schedule. Idk why this is such a debatable topic.
I'm exaggerating, but when it came to our situation, our conference performance basically meant nothing for seeding. We had superior predictive and resume based metrics, and superior quad 1/2/3/4 records to those in our seeding territory. Yet, we were docked because of our noncon performance. Those games were weighted with much more emphasis than conference games.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
How could NC State have been seeded so low! They're in the Final 4!
Not sure, what does that have to do with the way ISU was seeded? That is why I mentioned in my post that we didn't run into a juggernaught team of destiny that NC State seems to be this year. We lost to Illinois who got pounded by UConn.

I was all for the argument of bad seeding ISU before the S16, but it just seems dumb at this point to keep pounding the same argument over and over after we lost to Illinois. We came out flat and pissed the Illinois game away in the first half. That was probably something the committee had on their mind, knowing we go into these baffling 5-10 minute scoring droughts all the time and eventually, it's going to catch up to you.

Last edited:

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I forget, is CyTown's entertainment/food/etc. type businesses scheduled to be done for this upcoming football season? If so, even with more excitement around this season North Dakota and Arkansas State home crowds will be better warm up runs than the madness of UNI or CyHawk weekends.
No, all of that is several years out. Only will the civil / underground infrastructure and parking lot surface work will be complete by this fall.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
1 seed wasn't likely, but it was realistic given how the last weekend played out. You're wrong. The committee doesn't value conference games, whether it's the conference season or postseason tournament. Those games are only there to support positive/negative conclusions made from nonconference games.
How did the Committee not value regular season conference games? They do so every year.

Overall #1 UConn won the Big East regular season & Big East Tournament.

The other three #1 seeds: Houston, Purdue & UNC won their Conference regular season titles.

The top two #2 seeds: Tennessee & Arizona also won their Conference titles. So the top six overall seeds went to the P6 Conference Regular Season Champs.

What was ISU's non-con record against P6 opponents? 2-2 and the best win was Iowa.

Reactions: ClubCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Our non-con was a joke because of how many horrible teams we played

We can play MAC level teams and avoid that, without materially increasing odds of more losses

Was that intentional to manipulate NET?

Yes.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This gets drastically over played.

Agreed. If there were no pre-con tournaments to contend with this might make sense, but just like the real tournament it’s luck of the draw every year what pre-con event a team gets invited to. Now tournaments like the JB are popping up and we aren’t even a candidate for it. Adidas will probably have the same thing soon.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
How did the Committee not value regular season conference games? They do so every year.

Overall #1 UConn won the Big East regular season & Big East Tournament.

The other three #1 seeds: Houston, Purdue & UNC won their Conference regular season titles.

The top two #2 seeds: Tennessee & Arizona also won their Conference titles. So the top six overall seeds went to the P6 Conference Regular Season Champs.

What was ISU's non-con record against P6 opponents? 2-2 and the best win was Iowa.
Those teams' profiles were built on the foundation of their nonconference performance. Conference games only served to confirm those performances. The fact that they won their conference championships were just coincidence.

Our 21 games against Big 12 opponents could not overcome our 4 against non Big 12 P6 opponents.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I'm exaggerating, but when it came to our situation, our conference performance basically meant nothing for seeding. We had superior predictive and resume based metrics, and superior quad 1/2/3/4 records to those in our seeding territory. Yet, we were docked because of our noncon performance. Those games were weighted with much more emphasis than conference games.
Again, if it meant nothing we would not have been a 2 seed. Wazzu finished 14-6 2nd in a bad conference. Their reward? A 7 seed.

• Agree
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
1.) All of the metrics showed that Iowa State was either the best 2 seed or the final 1 seed. Don't tell me it doesn't matter because we got a 2, UCONN and Purdue are walked to the Final Four with 4 home games.

2.) There is almost no difference between a 175 ranked team or 350. Those are all buy games and the fact that the committee treats them differently is pretty dumb. Schools can't control where those teams fall Q3 or Q4 wise at the end of the season so scheduling those games can be a complete crap shoot.

3.) We have Maui, Iowa, and a higher level Big East team next year. We don't need to do anything else to boost our non con SOS.

We could probably do without the absolute bottom-feeders (the 300+ teams), but yeah, nothing significant like a feast of bluebloods or anything.
Even just meeting the MAC a couple times wouldn't hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
What do you want him to say though? Ranting about the committee's selection process and Iowa States seeding would do absolutely zero good. If anything, the conferences need to start a movement and take the damn AD's out of this process…
Actually— nothing. He already commented on the committee’s seeding. Move on. But he couldn’t, prolonging the debate.

Agree on the need to modify the committee membership.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

What that tells me is the Selection Committee is NOT paying a lot of attention to Lunardi, Ken Palm, analytics services or media clickbait!

When a Selection Committee is comprised of AD's, then Regular Season Conference Titles and wins against other top P6 teams matter most.

Losses to Va Tech (10-10 ACC) and Texas A&M (9-9 SEC) pushed ISU out of #1 seed consideration.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron