Weight lifting "records"... NOT political!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Every time this comes up it’s some arbitrary competition no one gives a **** about. Feels more like taking an opportunity to bash transgenders than anything.

Or maybe I underestimate the average sports fan interest in the fairness of the Pacific Games Snatch Lift women’s division. Probably that....

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Every time this comes up it’s some arbitrary competition no one gives a **** about. Feels more like taking an opportunity to bash transgenders than anything.

Or maybe I underestimate the average sports fan interest in the fairness of the Pacific Games Snatch Lift women’s division. Probably that....
You’re right, it is always the “Olympic” sports. Belittling the sport or competition is just a cop out though. I just find it confusing how allowing men to beat women in woman sport is somehow feminist and progressive.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

You may not care about the sport, but those lifters who train just as hard as any other athlete sure do care about it.

Whats your take on Fallon Fox (M to F transgender) fighting MMA in the female division?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
You may not care about the sport, but those lifters who train just as hard as any other athlete sure do care about it.

Whats your take on Fallon Fox (M to F transgender) fighting MMA in the female division?

Listen to Joe Rogan talk about Fallon Fox. It's unreal. I can't actually believe they let Fox fight other females. I mean if the women is up for it I guess. It's her decision to fight Fox. However, I might have understood it wrong but I am pretty sure the first couple girls she fought didn't know.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

Do we know that it’s actually an advantage? As far as I know, no one on here is a doctor or scientist who specializes in transitioning. I know that we have people on here who transitioned from male to female but I haven’t seen them post in here yet. I thought I read once that any natural advantage that they have goes away fairly soon after they start transitioning (and I may try to find an article tonight if people want and I have the time).

If they were stronger than what people born as women could be, then sure that’s unfair. But if people who were born as women could be as strong as they are, then I don’t really think it’s unfair.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Do we know that it’s actually an advantage? As far as I know, no one on here is a doctor or scientist who specializes in transitioning. I know that we have people on here who transitioned from male to female but I haven’t seen them post in here yet. I thought I read once that any natural advantage that they have goes away fairly soon after they start transitioning (and I may try to find an article tonight if people want and I have the time).

If they were stronger than what people born as women could be, then sure that’s unfair. But if people who were born as women could be as strong as they are, then I don’t really think it’s unfair.

Yeah people born a man and transition are naturally strong. You can take drugs and all of that, however, everything about an athletic man is more superior than a women. Even the best females that transition to men won't be able to compete against men.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Yeah people born a man and transition are naturally strong. You can take drugs and all of that, however, everything about an athletic man is more superior than a women. Even the best females that transition to men won't be able to compete against men.

Certainly sounds like he lost his dude strength:

"The gold medal winner was born as Gavin Hubbard, and competed in the male weightlifting division until the transition in 2012. Hubbard became a household name in 2017 after breaking several records in the female division of the World Masters Games. That year, Hubbard lifted a combined total of 617 lbs in the clean and jerk division, smashing previous records."

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Certainly sounds like he lost his dude strength:

"The gold medal winner was born as Gavin Hubbard, and competed in the male weightlifting division until the transition in 2012. Hubbard became a household name in 2017 after breaking several records in the female division of the World Masters Games. That year, Hubbard lifted a combined total of 617 lbs in the clean and jerk division, smashing previous records."

Haha. This is from USA Powerlifting who has banned male to female athletes from competing against females. The big thing for me is these women were never good in the male division. Then they switch genders and dominate breaking world records. That alone should tell you something. It's not like they are freak athletes to start with. They transition and then smash records.

USA Powerlifting, the sanctioning body for the strength sport in the United States, does not allow trans women to lift competitively because it says that men "naturally have a larger bone structure, higher bone density, stronger connective tissue, and higher muscle density than women. The argument put forward by the organization could explain why the same debate doesn't occur for trans men competing in men's categories.

"These traits, even with reduced levels of testosterone do not go away," the organization says. "While [trans women] may be weaker and less muscle [sic] than they once were, the biological benefits given them at birth still remain over that of a female."

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Haha. This is from USA Powerlifting who has banned male to female athletes from competing against females. The big thing for me is these women were never good in the male division. Then they switch genders and dominate breaking world records. That alone should tell you something. It's not like they are freak athletes to start with. They transition and then smash records.

USA Powerlifting, the sanctioning body for the strength sport in the United States, does not allow trans women to lift competitively because it says that men "naturally have a larger bone structure, higher bone density, stronger connective tissue, and higher muscle density than women. The argument put forward by the organization could explain why the same debate doesn't occur for trans men competing in men's categories.

"These traits, even with reduced levels of testosterone do not go away," the organization says. "While [trans women] may be weaker and less muscle [sic] than they once were, the biological benefits given them at birth still remain over that of a female."

Yeah, it's really pretty straight forward. Anyone who chooses to not see that, is doing it purposefully and denying basic human genetics.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger

Winner. End thread.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

n+1 here, but in my experience, I agree with this. I'm sure part of this is because I was really fat for a long time, lost a lot of weight, and had residual muscle mass from carrying that weight. But part of it also is definitely because I transitioned later in life, but went through testosterone-based puberty. I have 22% body fat, which is pretty normal for a genetic female in good shape. However, I'm also 6'3" and have 163 lbs. of muscle mass, which I'm certain is 99th percentile or higher.

For those reading this that have opinions about trans kids, please keep an open mind. I knew that I was different as early as age 6, and the only reason I didn't transition earlier is because it just wasn't possible in that social environment. Things have changed, the science is pretty sound, and a lot of discrimination we face is based on how we look. That all has to do with puberty. A trans person who has experienced the correct hormones during puberty is virtually indistinguishable from their cis- counterparts. And, relevant to this discussion, does not have this built-in athletic advantage.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Most guys would have at least a PASSING interest in a woman's snatch lift.

I'm not sure I could be with a woman with a snatch that heavy.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Listen to Joe Rogan talk about Fallon Fox. It's unreal. I can't actually believe they let Fox fight other females. I mean if the women is up for it I guess. It's her decision to fight Fox. However, I might have understood it wrong but I am pretty sure the first couple girls she fought didn't know.
If they couldn't tell... what's the problem? Now for the OP, that is a problem.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
n+1 here, but in my experience, I agree with this. I'm sure part of this is because I was really fat for a long time, lost a lot of weight, and had residual muscle mass from carrying that weight. But part of it also is definitely because I transitioned later in life, but went through testosterone-based puberty. I have 22% body fat, which is pretty normal for a genetic female in good shape. However, I'm also 6'3" and have 163 lbs. of muscle mass, which I'm certain is 99th percentile or higher.

For those reading this that have opinions about trans kids, please keep an open mind. I knew that I was different as early as age 6, and the only reason I didn't transition earlier is because it just wasn't possible in that social environment. Things have changed, the science is pretty sound, and a lot of discrimination we face is based on how we look. That all has to do with puberty. A trans person who has experienced the correct hormones during puberty is virtually indistinguishable from their cis- counterparts. And, relevant to this discussion, does not have this built-in athletic advantage.
Giving kids powerful, supplemental hormones... that's gonna be a no from me, dawg

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Life's not fair, sometimes a chick with a penis comes along and takes your gold medal, that's just the way the world works.

• Funny
Reactions: 247cy

Help Support Us

Become a patron