Weight lifting "records"... NOT political!

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Giving kids powerful, supplemental hormones... that's gonna be a no from me, dawg
Yeah, open mind... whatever. I knew it was too much to ask. Please educate yourself before firing off an irrelevant response. I think I see why I have you on ignore now.

Kids don't get supplemental hormones, they get puberty blockers so the decision to go/nogo for the actual hormones can be made later.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Yeah, open mind... whatever. I knew it was too much to ask. Please educate yourself before firing off an irrelevant response. I think I see why I have you on ignore now.

Kids don't get supplemental hormones, they get puberty blockers so the decision to go/nogo for the actual hormones can be made later.
Anti-androgens... what could go wrong?

Can you please un-ignore me? That hurt my feelings.

• Funny
Reactions: Cytown12

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

I disagree. It's not about educating people. It's about giving kids drugs to mess with their body. I am pretty much anti all drugs for kids. No I am not an Anti Vax guy. However, you start giving kids drugs that are 10 years old to alter their body and not allow for normal everyday science to do it's thing. You are going to be opening a bad worm hole. If you want to transition when you are 18 years old. I have no problem with that. Zero. Do your thing. However, giving kids drugs to alter or delay normal puberty. Yeah I am not for that at all.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
n+1 here, but in my experience, I agree with this. I'm sure part of this is because I was really fat for a long time, lost a lot of weight, and had residual muscle mass from carrying that weight. But part of it also is definitely because I transitioned later in life, but went through testosterone-based puberty. I have 22% body fat, which is pretty normal for a genetic female in good shape. However, I'm also 6'3" and have 163 lbs. of muscle mass, which I'm certain is 99th percentile or higher.

For those reading this that have opinions about trans kids, please keep an open mind. I knew that I was different as early as age 6, and the only reason I didn't transition earlier is because it just wasn't possible in that social environment. Things have changed, the science is pretty sound, and a lot of discrimination we face is based on how we look. That all has to do with puberty. A trans person who has experienced the correct hormones during puberty is virtually indistinguishable from their cis- counterparts. And, relevant to this discussion, does not have this built-in athletic advantage.

You're playing with fire once you start talking about giving kids (early teenage years) drugs that alter their biological chemistry. The problem, at least from where I sit, is that kids that age are still incredibly malleable. I'm not going to tell you that your feelings wrong because clearly that's not my place, but making a life altering decision at such a young age is potentially dangerous. IMO, these types of treatments should absolutely wait until a person is considered a legal adult.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm starting to hear the IOC bring in the "science" teams to determine acceptable levels of hormone concentration and other factors that define gender.
On the other hand, if changes do come to women's basketball, I wonder if we'll see more dunks :)

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
You're playing with fire once you start talking about giving kids (early teenage years) drugs that alter their biological chemistry. The problem, at least from where I sit, is that kids that age are still incredibly malleable. I'm not going to tell you that your feelings wrong because clearly that's not my place, but making a life altering decision at such a young age is potentially dangerous. IMO, these types of treatments should absolutely wait until a person is considered a legal adult.
Necessary is necessary. Just because an issue isn't as visible as conjoined twin or a missing leg, doesn't mean you don't treat the issue.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Time to step it up and compete, ladies. We’re not handing out medals just because you were born with a vagina.

On the contrary. I've started handing out medals specifically for this. It's crazy what people will do for participation trophies these days too!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Necessary is necessary. Just because an issue isn't as visible as conjoined twin or a missing leg, doesn't mean you don't treat the issue.

I have a hard enough time changing shampoos - hard to imagine how hard it is to change your outside to match your inside.

This isn't the appropriate forum but it would be interesting to better understand the hurdles you had to overcome. I think we're a tolerant bunch, but that doesn't make us compassionate or even understanding but you've been around here long enough to know that.

Cyclone love nonetheless...

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Someone can have an open mind, and still disagree. It's definitely a tricky situation for sure.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Again, I can't speak to what's like to have been in that position. I just think allowing children to make such a massive decision is a stopping point for me.
I think people have to understand that this is still a new thing. It's still developing, under study, new treatments, things are always going on here, it's nowhere close to settled. It'll take time to study pros/cons/effects of treatments at certain ages, different regimens, etc., but we shouldn't shut ourselves off to study and advancement just because something seems "unnatural" or "wrong" to some people. We're not really playing God here, we're trying to work within limitations and issues we have presented to us.

As far as decision making goes, it may as well be like anything else -- if the parents sign off on it, go for it. If they don't and f*** their own kids up even worse, that's the parents' faults.

As far as sports goes, the simplest options would be to make separate leagues or have advantaged individuals compete with their birth sex to negate that advantage. Separate league would probably be easier to implement.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12